BIM Coordinator Program (INT) April 22, 2024

Find the next step in your career as a Graphisoft Certified BIM Coordinator!

Collaboration with other software
About model and data exchange with 3rd party solutions: Revit, Solibri, dRofus, Bluebeam, structural analysis solutions, and IFC, BCF and DXF/DWG-based exchange, etc.

Overwriting PDF files with no warning to "Replace"

cmacd
Booster
I've done a search and cannot find discussion on this subject which surprises me. Why is there no warning that you are overwriting a previously saved PDF file when Publishing a Publisher Set or individual file? This is in complete variance from standard computer practice, yet has been around for at least three versions. It is a very real danger that you are overwriting an important "archive" file of an issued drawing set and a warning is very important.

Also, why is there no warning or explanation dialogue explaining that the "Error" message that is displayed when saving a set in PDF as one file is because the previously saved PDF file (same set) is currently open in Acrobat. I'm certain that every new user(and a fair few experienced ones) scratches their head on that one!

All issues above are on a Mac.

Thanks
Rich Matthews

Mac Pro (2013) 3.5 GHz 6-Core Intel Xeon E5/ 32.0 GB RAM, Cinema HD 30” & 4K 27” Monitors; AC24 AUS Full/Mac OS X 10.13.6
PC AMD Ryzen 7 3700x 3.9 GHz 8-core 32GB; 4K 32” Monitor ; AC25 AUS Full/Twinmotion 2021.1/Win10
9 REPLIES 9
Stress Co_
Advisor
I know what you mean... I've over written a few files

One work around is to save all PDF's to a "spool folder" ..... BUT, you have to get in the habit of moving the PDF's to their archive folders.

What OS are you using, which AC Build?
Marc Corney, Architect
Red Canoe Architecture, P. A.

Mac OS 10.15.7 (Catalina) //// Mac OS 14.2.1 (Sonoma)
Processor: 3.6 GHz 8-Core Intel Core i9 //// Apple M2 Max
Memory: 48 GB 2667 MHz DDR4 //// 32 GB
Graphics: Radeon Pro 580X 8GB //// 12C CPU, 30C GPU
ArchiCAD 25 (5010 USA Full) //// ArchiCAD 27 (4030 USA Full)
cmacd
Booster
Sorry Marc... just coming back on the forum after a couple(?) of years away. Hadn't put in my signature initially which I hope will be below now!

If not... here is the info: Dual 2.7 GHz PowerPC G5/ 4.5 GB RAM/ Dual Monitors/ OSX 10.4.7/ AC10 987AUS

Considering that they do everything so very well, can anybody from Graphisoft explain why it is so??!
Rich Matthews

Mac Pro (2013) 3.5 GHz 6-Core Intel Xeon E5/ 32.0 GB RAM, Cinema HD 30” & 4K 27” Monitors; AC24 AUS Full/Mac OS X 10.13.6
PC AMD Ryzen 7 3700x 3.9 GHz 8-core 32GB; 4K 32” Monitor ; AC25 AUS Full/Twinmotion 2021.1/Win10
Anonymous
Not applicable
You can change the settings of your Amyuni PDF Converter Overwrite option to: "Confirm before overwriting" (it's under Destination tab in the properties) I think the default is "Overwrite without asking".

I'm on PC, I'm assuming it's the same with MAC
cmacd
Booster
No, it is not the same on a Mac. Different procedure built in the OS.
But your suggestion did prompt me to open another Options dialogue that I haven't looked at (at least recently), but no luck.
In my opinion, when ANY file is about to be overwritten you should be warned unless you've checked a box to say it that you want the feature off!
Rich Matthews

Stress Co_
Advisor
Hassanen wrote:
You can change the settings of your Amyuni PDF Converter Overwrite option to: "Confirm before overwriting" (it's under Destination tab in the properties) I think the default is "Overwrite without asking".

I'm on PC, I'm assuming it's the same with MAC
Where is it located? We get this on a Mac:
Marc Corney, Architect
Red Canoe Architecture, P. A.

Mac OS 10.15.7 (Catalina) //// Mac OS 14.2.1 (Sonoma)
Processor: 3.6 GHz 8-Core Intel Core i9 //// Apple M2 Max
Memory: 48 GB 2667 MHz DDR4 //// 32 GB
Graphics: Radeon Pro 580X 8GB //// 12C CPU, 30C GPU
ArchiCAD 25 (5010 USA Full) //// ArchiCAD 27 (4030 USA Full)
cmacd
Booster
Sorry Marc, can't see what that does for me. I want to save the PDF to same folder each time I check the drawing and correct yet another mistake/omission. But... having sent a file to the client and then later in the day make a few more changes, it is good to hang on the the previously sent "issue" ('official' or not) as an archive to refer to later if necessary.
The unsuspecting or careless will blow that away as there is no warning the next time you Publish that Publish set.
I'm now in the habit of 1. renaming the folder in the set or 2. renaming the previous file in the file structure.
The problem is that even I can be 'careless' (amazing, I know) to say nothing of the newbie or inexperienced.
Rich Matthews

Anonymous
Not applicable
Stress wrote:
Where is it located? We get this on a Mac:
I just checked and you're right, you could only control this option, if you are "printing" to a PDF and not "saving" to a PDF in your publisher set, I thought it was there also.

On a side note, I find it better to create PDF sets by printing selected layouts to the Amyuni printer (not through publisher) this way you get all your layouts in one clean PDF file automatically organized with bookmarks, working links for the sections and details, etc.. as far as I know you can't do that with publisher..

Again I'm assuming all this is the same with MAC
confirm.jpg
Aussie John
Newcomer
cmacd wrote:
Sorry Marc, can't see what that does for me. I want to save the PDF to same folder each time I check the drawing and correct yet another mistake/omission. But... having sent a file to the client and then later in the day make a few more changes, it is good to hang on the the previously sent "issue" ('official' or not) as an archive to refer to later if necessary.
The unsuspecting or careless will blow that away as there is no warning the next time you Publish that Publish set.
I'm now in the habit of 1. renaming the folder in the set or 2. renaming the previous file in the file structure.
The problem is that even I can be 'careless' (amazing, I know) to say nothing of the newbie or inexperienced.
If you are send PDF files to your client with out revision number included in the file then I dont have any sympathy if you have over written a file.
Since publishing has no method of including a revision number (or sensibly a project number) then they obviously have to be changed in the finder (which i see you are doing). If you change the file name then next time you publish the file isnt over written.

If you are worried about the time it takes to rename a folder of drawing files take a look at automator (on mac) wich will allow you to easily change all the files name in one swoop.
Cheers John
John Hyland : ARINA : www.arina.biz
User ver 4 to 12 - Jumped to v22 - so many options and settings!!!
OSX 10.15.6 [Catalina] : Archicad 22 : 15" MacBook Pro 2019
[/size]
Barry Kelly
I'm running Windows XP but it seems the same as your MAC problems.

Using the Publisher and Saving the PDF uses a default inbuilt PDF converter - "_temporary ArchiCAD10 publisher.
You can view the properties of this printer and you can change them but they don't all stick.
Seems you can change page size and margins but can't set to prompt for file name or prompt before overwriting - these will simply reset themselves to default values.

As Hassanen mentioned it is possible to Print from the File menu when in the layouts.
This way you can use whatever PDF converter you want and you can have its properties set as you wish.

The only way I have found to control the file name in Publisher (other than manually renaming the file) is to change the name of the parent folder that you set as the Merged folder for producing a single PDF.

The problem of not being able to print when the PDF file of the same name is already open is annoying.
In XP service pack 1 I have noticed Archicad just pauses until you shut the PDF down and then it continues printing.
XP service pack 2 seems to lock the file in the printer cue so you can no longer print with that file name even if you close it. And you can't delete the print from the printer cue unless you restart your machine.
That's my experience anyway.

Barry.
One of the forum moderators.
Versions 6.5 to 27
Dell XPS- i7-6700 @ 3.4Ghz, 16GB ram, GeForce GTX 960 (2GB), Windows 10
Lenovo Thinkpad - i7-1270P 2.20 GHz, 32GB RAM, Nvidia T550, Windows 11
Learn and get certified!