Collaboration with other software
About model and data exchange with 3rd party solutions: Revit, Solibri, dRofus, Bluebeam, structural analysis solutions, and IFC, BCF and DXF/DWG-based exchange, etc.

QUESTION - CHANGING SCHEDULES GLOBALLY

gedzior84
Booster
Hello everyone!

Is there any way to change 100 schedules with one global option?
For example the font type and size is wrong in all of them - should I go to every single schedules to change these settings?
It is very time consuming.

Thank you in advance!
8 REPLIES 8
Anonymous
Not applicable
This might be a great little project for someone in python.
poco2013
Mentor
DWilson wrote:
It would be but unfortunately the present proposed version of Python even in 24 beta 3 is so limited as to be worthless in every area except properties. I think we'll have to wait several years to have a viable product here.

IMNOHO -- By that time interest may be so low that Python may be just another unsupported "Goodie".
I hope not but looking that way??? -- Comments - anyone?

I don't mean to denigrate the present effort. The work on properties in Python is excellent, but properties alone will not make it a viable tool. Definite not a Revit "killer", if NEMETSCHEK is serious about competing?
Gerry

Windows 11 - Visual Studio 2022; ArchiCAD 27
Barry Kelly
gedzior84 wrote:
should I go to every single schedules to change these settings?

As far as I know, yes, this is what you will have to do.

Barry.
One of the forum moderators.
Versions 6.5 to 27
Dell XPS- i7-6700 @ 3.4Ghz, 16GB ram, GeForce GTX 960 (2GB), Windows 10
Lenovo Thinkpad - i7-1270P 2.20 GHz, 32GB RAM, Nvidia T550, Windows 11
gedzior84
Booster
Barry wrote:
gedzior84 wrote:
should I go to every single schedules to change these settings?

As far as I know, yes, this is what you will have to do.

Barry.

ARGHHH!!!
There goes another day of my work...
Thank you for your response!
Anonymous
Not applicable
poco2013 wrote:
DWilson wrote:
It would be but unfortunately the present proposed version of Python even in 24 beta 3 is so limited as to be worthless in every area except properties. I think we'll have to wait several years to have a viable product here.

IMNOHO -- By that time interest may be so low that Python may be just another unsupported "Goodie".
I hope not but looking that way??? -- Comments - anyone?

I don't mean to denigrate the present effort. The work on properties in Python is excellent, but properties alone will not make it a viable tool. Definite not a Revit "killer", if NEMETSCHEK is serious about competing?
I agree, I was very positively surprised to see that Graphisoft has already implemented Python in the new version. I thought it would take some time before they actually put it in, but when I saw how limited it is, I was a big disappointment. It's great that the python is there, but it is far away from what I have expected.

But anyway, it might actually be possible to use a Python script to change Schedules at once. Just not inside of Archicad (as of today). You can export all your schedules at once as .xml files and you should be able to change these with a relatively simple Python script. Then just import the .xml files back to your project.

Theoretically it should work, but maybe someone more experienced in such data conversions will correct me...
Laszlo Nagy
Community Admin
Community Admin
mbl wrote:
You can export all your schedules at once as .xml files and you should be able to change these with a relatively simple Python script. Then just import the .xml files back to your project.

Theoretically, it should work, but maybe someone more experienced in such data conversions will correct me...

Exporting/Importing XML works only in the Scheme Settings Dialog. That will export the criteria and schedule fields defined for your schedules, but it does not affect the formatting of the actual generated schedules in any way.
Actually, this would be a good wish: the ability to define/save/restore default formatting (sort of like Favorites) for the various parts of generated schedules, like Value rows, Total rows, Headlines, etc. Then we could also specify which formatting a Scheme should use when generating the schedule.
Loving Archicad since 1995 - Find Archicad Tips at x.com/laszlonagy
AMD Ryzen9 5900X CPU, 64 GB RAM 3600 MHz, Nvidia GTX 1060 6GB, 500 GB NVMe SSD
2x28" (2560x1440), Windows 10 PRO ENG, Ac20-Ac27
poco2013
Mentor
FYI:

Actually you can change the the font and size in a exported xml schedule file by just changing the font element field for each of the headers in the file. When you import the xml file, if it has the same name as one existing, Archicad will rename it and make a new schedule.

However, since, Graphisoft does not publish the xml scheme, doing so is extremely unwise.
Gerry

Windows 11 - Visual Studio 2022; ArchiCAD 27
Laszlo Nagy
Community Admin
Community Admin
mbl and Gerry,

Wow, thanks for this info, I stand corrected. I was not aware that the formatting settings of the generated schedule are also saved when exporting the Schedule Scheme as XML. Now I can see that what you guys are saying is actually possible.

Thinking about this, you may not even need Python. You can just open all those XML files in Notepad++, which gives you the ability to replace text in all open documents in a single step.
So, for example, you could replace this
<Font_Type>Arial</Font_Type>
with this
<Font_Type>Calibri</Font_Type>
in all exported XML files in a single step.

Of course, if this is something that needs to be done regularly, then a Python script is probably better.
Loving Archicad since 1995 - Find Archicad Tips at x.com/laszlonagy
AMD Ryzen9 5900X CPU, 64 GB RAM 3600 MHz, Nvidia GTX 1060 6GB, 500 GB NVMe SSD
2x28" (2560x1440), Windows 10 PRO ENG, Ac20-Ac27