BIM Coordinator Program (INT) April 22, 2024
Find the next step in your career as a Graphisoft Certified BIM Coordinator!
Collaboration with other software
About model and data exchange with 3rd party solutions: Revit, Solibri, dRofus, Bluebeam, structural analysis solutions, and IFC, BCF and DXF/DWG-based exchange, etc.

REVIT LT

JaredBanks
Mentor
Everyone else see this: Revit LT...

The announcement:
http://news.autodesk.com/news/autodesk/20120905005613/en/Autodesk-Announces-Autodesk-Revit-LT

The comparison of versions (which is kind of flimsy detail):
http://usa.autodesk.com/adsk/servlet/pc/compare/index?siteID=123112&id=20336963

The most surprising part:
http://usa.autodesk.com/revitlt/howtobuy/

Really curious about this. Zero desire to use it, of course, but very interesting addition to the world of BIM. We've had ArchiCAD Start Edition for years of course. So the concept is old hat. And no Mac version.

Thoughts?
Jared Banks, AIA
Shoegnome Architects

Archicad Blog: www.shoegnome.com
Archicad Template: www.shoegnome.com/template/
Archicad Work Environment: www.shoegnome.com/work-environment/
Archicad Tutorial Videos: www.youtube.com/shoegnome
8 REPLIES 8
Anonymous
Not applicable
Most Revit users (myself included) would run away screaming in light of the features removed in LT. But for manufacturers wanting to author their own families as part of their efforts to sell their product, and those who don't need to model anything but linear or single-curved forms, and don't need the collaboration aspects of Revit, then this is a good deal. Perhaps home designers and others modeling simple projects.

The question is, how much of the market wants/needs Revit LT?
JaredBanks
Mentor
That's similar with many of our feelings with the start edition of AC. The features missing are so useful that we couldn't live without them. Though the Solo version in the UK bridges the gap into a great offering.

Interesting point about buying the cheap version to make families. Though it seems like a better value for the community for that content to be created by professionals and not someone who can poorly use a LT version of the software.
Jared Banks, AIA
Shoegnome Architects

Anonymous
Not applicable
I agree with Wes that it’s a non starter for anyone doing complex forms or collaborative work BUT may work for someone working solo in residential or small commercial market. If solo I could live without:
photorender/vray-(I use Artantis)
copy monitor/workshare-(not needed for solo work)
point cloud
IFC export (Revit is crap at this anyway)

I would find not having concept massing, model in place, adaptive component etc very limiting as I use these a lot but there are many Revit users- usually documenters- who do not.
Wonder if you could use Vasari and bring that stuff in?

$1200? Hmmm... might temp some to dip their toes
Laszlo Nagy
Community Admin
Community Admin
I view this as another step by Autodesk to try to lure their existing AutoCAD LT customers to start moving to BIM.
As far as I know, AutoCAD has to most users of any Autodesk product, and within AutoCAD, AutoCAD LT has many more users than the full AutoCAD program.
So there are millions of users who are possible candidates for an upgrade from 2D CAD to BIM.
Loving Archicad since 1995 - Find Archicad Tips at x.com/laszlonagy
AMD Ryzen9 5900X CPU, 64 GB RAM 3600 MHz, Nvidia GTX 1060 6GB, 500 GB NVMe SSD
2x28" (2560x1440), Windows 10 PRO ENG, Ac20-Ac27
JaredBanks
Mentor
or 2D CAD to BIM LT...

as Rob from Bond Bryan said:

You shouldn’t be allowed to use the acronym BIM if you can’t collaborate.
Jared Banks, AIA
Shoegnome Architects

Anonymous
Not applicable
Well, it is not limiting collaboration all together. You can still link other Revit files or CAD files. Worksets does not make the collaboration. For a residential practice it is typically more than enough.
Rakela Raul
Participant
without conceptual massing and model in place tools!! it is a waste of money...

the only good tool in revit .. hey !! just kidding revitters fanatics ...

seriously, even for residential users the model in place tool is a most have IMHO
MACBKPro /32GiG / 240SSD
AC V6 to V18 - RVT V11 to V16
Anonymous
Not applicable
We have survived years without Shell or Morph didn't we?
I'm barely a Revit users but fairness is fairness.
Revit LT will definitely summon a lot of Autocad LT users. And that's the point isn't is?
I'm amazed the Graphisoft has not lured them already with some special Autocad LT to Archicad Plus converter. It would actually be much more familiar environment for them than Revit. Now with LT and Ribbon the ship is sailed.
Learn and get certified!