BIM Coordinator Program (INT) April 22, 2024

Find the next step in your career as a Graphisoft Certified BIM Coordinator!

Collaboration with other software
About model and data exchange with 3rd party solutions: Revit, Solibri, dRofus, Bluebeam, structural analysis solutions, and IFC, BCF and DXF/DWG-based exchange, etc.

Revit Export: Project Origin vs Native Survey Point

Gerry Leonor
Advisor

Hi all.

so we've got an AC 25 project with one of the boundary corners set to AC Project Zero & using the Native Survey Point (NSP) to locate said Project Zero / boundary corner to align with a real-world coordinate.

I'd like to export a Revit file but I noticed that there was no option to export from the Native Survey Point.

GerryLeonor_0-1675908181033.png

this becomes an issue because we're also using IFC exports to coordinate with the consultants. in doing so, i'll have an IFC file which will export at the correct location (export from NSP) versus an exported Revit file which will export from Project Origin.

Is there a way for both IFC and Revit file to export from Native Survey Point?

AC25 | Win10 | 64 bit | 16Gb RAM |Intel i7 8700 @ 3.20Ghz

come join our unofficial Discord server
https://discord.gg/XGHjyvutt8
10 REPLIES 10

Is there a reason why you want to export the Revit-file into Real World Coordinates?

From my understanding Revit has the exact same issue with large coordinates so an export from project origin would probably be more correct - if it's meant to be worked on further in Revit.

If your export is only for reference purposes then would not an IFC be enough?

Erik Bjornhage : SwedishChef, ETTELVA Arkitekter, Gothenburg, Sweden
Architect : Digital Development : Graphisoft Cert. BIM-Manager
ETTELVA Arkitekter : Eriks LinkedIn
DELL Precision 5570; i7-12700H; 64 GB; RTX A2000 [8GB] : AC12 - future

we're sending out IFC files for consultant coordination and because the client asked. they have this master file full of buildings they've developed in their entire complex & they have a set of grids that run horizontal & vertical across their entire property. (huge land, think a couple of hundred of industrial & commercial properties). they require models be located in relation to these grids. that's why we tried using the NSP tool to locate our model at Project Origin, but offset it using NSP.

prior to NSP, we literally had to locate our model around 60km x 10km away from project origin. & we've had numerous projects with this client. we've never had any issues before with the old system -- apart from exporting DWG files from our layouts who's drawings never exported from Project Origin, because they revert to whatever origin the layout dictates. but the IFC file had to be at the correct location -- which worked fine too.

we were also asked to export out a Revit file as a nice gesture for a consultant who's been having some small (but ultimately non-serious) issues with our IFC files. we wanted to test out & see if Native Survey Points work for both IFC & Revit export.

seeing as this post is a couple of days old & barely any responses -- i'm guessing the answer is a no then?

Thanks for that

It all sounds very familiar - we used to have a separate export file for real woirld coordinates which thankfully, with NSP, we don't need anymore.

If you were providing a Revit file as a nice gesture then I can understand that you want it to work as you imagined. My follow-up questino would be for your consultant, if they actually work in real world coordinates or if they also work close to project origin.

But as you said yourself, the post is a couple of days old and I just stumbled on it today...and as far as I know there is no option to Save as...Revit and use NSP.

Perhaps if you have a separate export model (like your previous workflow) and save your RVT from there. I know it's a step back but it may work...

Good luck

i'm guessing that's done by exporting the active project as an entire module, open a separate AC file, import as an entire module, & create the Revit export from there?

if so, is there anything that gets lost in that process from file 1 to file 2? obviously we won't have any of the saved views, but do any of the properties & classifications get lost?

Would a site that large benefit from assembly in a model federation? Revizto claims to have a client with a project that documents 20 miles of train track and supporting infrastructure.

Think Like a Spec Writer
AC4.55 through 27 / USA AC27-4060 USA
Rhino 8 Mac
MacOS 14.2.1
Gerry Leonor
Advisor

the site isn't at least 60km one side & 10km the other.

it's just how their origin grids are set up. i don't know where it's positioned from, but it is what it is & that's how we did our previous projects for them.

i don't know what software they use for their federation requirements, but they do require IFC files & for the models to be positioned in the correct location based of those large spanning & far originating grids.

Yeah, based on your responses I would think that the RVT-export should be done from a separate model. If you export a MOD-file of the relevant parts of the project, then hotlink that into its real world position in a blank file and export the RVT from there?

Massive, huge and abnormally large disclaimer!

Chances are that the geometry will be messed up in 3D due to the real world coordinates - it could work, or it could be chaos...
...only one way to find out.

it is what it is...

we've done numerous projects from this client where our model is always this distant from Project Origin, even from older AC versions & have exported all types of files, including IFC.

this is the first time we've modelled this close to it & only because of NSP. i'm afraid we may have to revert to the previous workflow as it doesn't work with RVT export.

shame, i thought there was finally a solution to this, then this wrench was thrown in the mix.

hkrna
Enthusiast

Forget the rvt export.

It is useless for Revit users, because it is dummy unusable geometry only.

It takes ages to save a rvt file from Archicad anyway.

I suggest you use IFC 4.0

In the translator turn off survey point, use project origin only.

Revit users should Import (not open) your IFC 4.0 file into a vanilla Revit file. Revit will automatically generate a rvt file. Revit users can then use this rvt file to import as background for coordination.

I know it sounds complicated,  but trust me, atm this is the fastest and best coordination method.

ArchiCAD since 4.5

Windows 10
Learn and get certified!