Collaboration with other software
About model and data exchange with 3rd party solutions: Revit, Solibri, dRofus, Bluebeam, structural analysis solutions, and IFC, BCF and DXF/DWG-based exchange, etc.

Room Finish Schedule

kevin b
Contributor
Currently, we have custom fields in our zone stamp for wall finishes (NSEW), so that the finishes can show up on our schedule. These finishes though are manually entered into the zones. Is there a way to extract this info from the model? There should be but I can't seem to figure it out. The zones themselves can do it because I can select "Inheret Boundary Wall and Trimming Element Materials" and they show up correctly in 3D. So how can I extract that info to a room finish schedule? Seems like it should be easy. Seems like it is the proper workflow, so that you modify the model (wall materials) and the info (that's the I in BIM right) shows up in a schedule.

What am I missing such that we need to find work arounds or GDL gurus to do this sort of stuff. Would be really nice if it was truely interactive, so that if I change the material in the schedule it would changethe model but I know that's just crazy talk.

Any help would be appreciated.
kevin s burns, AIA

massachusetts, usa

AC25 (1413), since AC6

Windows 10

Intel Core i7 -8700 @ 3.2 GHz~ 16 GB ram
17 REPLIES 17
a screen shot of the schedule would be helpful. Is there some reason you would not want to extract the wall finish from the walls?

Just incase you were thinking ArchiCAD room finish schedules are difficult, take a look at this.
http://www.archidigm.com/classroom/adt_4_development_guide/adt_3-0_dg_part_18.htm

ArchiCAD 25 7000 USA - Windows 10 Pro 64x - Dell 7720 64 GB 2400MHz ECC - Xeon E3 1535M v6 4.20GHz - (2) 1TB M.2 PCIe Class 50 SSD's - 17.3" UHD IPS (3840x2160) - Nvidia Quadro P5000 16GB GDDR5 - Maxwell Studio/Render 5.2.1.49- Multilight 2 - Adobe Acrobat Pro - ArchiCAD 6 -25

kevin b
Contributor
Yes I would want to extract the materials from the walls but without it tied to the zone how would you differentiate between rooms?

On the attached, the top schedule is a piece of our old schedule, done in Excel, pasted into ArchiCAD. A workflow we are trying to phase out. The bottom is the ArchiCAD schedule, based on our old schedule, all the info is extracted from the zones, all of which would have been manually entered into the "Parameters for Listing" of each zone.

The zone stamp itself is a modified version of a stamp we purchased years ago but it seems like all the out of the box stamps have the same parameters we are using but none seem to extract the actual materials of the walls that define the zone.
kevin s burns, AIA

massachusetts, usa

AC25 (1413), since AC6

Windows 10

Have you tried to add Additional Parameters to your zone schedule?
There are parameter you can add for the material of N,E, S, W walls.

By null at 2010-07-27

ArchiCAD 25 7000 USA - Windows 10 Pro 64x - Dell 7720 64 GB 2400MHz ECC - Xeon E3 1535M v6 4.20GHz - (2) 1TB M.2 PCIe Class 50 SSD's - 17.3" UHD IPS (3840x2160) - Nvidia Quadro P5000 16GB GDDR5 - Maxwell Studio/Render 5.2.1.49- Multilight 2 - Adobe Acrobat Pro - ArchiCAD 6 -25

kevin b
Contributor
Those parameters (Wall Finish/N, etc) are in the schedule, it is those parameters that are generating the wall finishes on the schedule now (they are just renamed in the schedule to look graphically like our old schedules) but those parameters don't actually extract the info from the materials of the walls in the model, they have to be manually entered into the parameters within the zone stamp.
kevin s burns, AIA

massachusetts, usa

AC25 (1413), since AC6

Windows 10

Make a schedule for the wall data you want to show and add to it
Zone Name and Zone Number from the General tab of Available Parameters.
With the new features of the Label, you may want to extract some data from there for your wall finish schedule.

You can adjust the limits of what you can see of a schedule in layout. This way you can make it look like it is all one Room Finish Schedule, but it might be made of several different scheduels.

Work arounds

kevin b
Contributor
You lost me somewhere there. I can already get all the data I want out of the zone stamp but it's all manually entered into the stamp anyway.

I am missing from your workaround, how, if I change the finish on the North wall in the model, in Room 100 from PT-1 to PT-2, so that when I'm working in 3D the wall changes from say red to blue, I don't see where I can get that data to put it on a schedule, although its obviously there because the wall changes color and the zone boundaries change as well.

How are others dealing with this? Is everyone still just entering the data manually?
kevin s burns, AIA

massachusetts, usa

AC25 (1413), since AC6

Windows 10

If you extract the wall finish data from the walls rather than from Zone you can still show what room the wall is in by adding the Zone Name, or Zone Number to a wall schedule. It would be a wall schedule with some zone info rather than a zone schedule with some wall info.

Of course it would be nice to extract all of the info needed for your room finish schedule from the zone object.

If you need to do it, you can use more than one schedule and place them next to each other in Layout. In the Layout, you can crop the view of each schedule so it looks like they are all one schedule. That's what I mean by work around.

kevin b
Contributor
Maybe I'm just being dense here, and I get what you mean by combining multiple schedules in layout, cropping etc. I understand that part of it, I just don't get how that would apply here.

IN a "wall schedule" I would end up with a line on the schedule for every wall, so even the simplest room would have 4 lines in the schedule, (although in a quick trial I get some rroms with only one wall listed ??) and there's no way that I can see to differentiate which wall is which (directionally NESW), also the only way I see that you can extract the wall material (based on the available parameters in the schedule scheme settings) is selecting by reference/opposite/edge but in some zones it would be the reference side and in the zone on the other side of the wall it would be by the opposite side.

If someone is using a methodology like this I'd love to see it, maybe I'm just not getting it.
kevin s burns, AIA

massachusetts, usa

AC25 (1413), since AC6

Windows 10

It depends on what you want to show in the schedule.

Do you want to show all walls in the project with a certain finish, or all wall in a Zone with a certain finish. Do you have many rooms in a zone for do you have a different zone for each room?

You may want to use wall ID numbers and wall labels. It all depends on what exactly you want to show up in a schedule.

As I understand it, you want a schedule that will show the wall finish for each wall in a room and have the room number or room name the wall is in on the schedule too.

There many ways you can show which wall has what finish in a schedule, or even in a list.

ID's and Labels could be a good way to do this. This information does not have to be extracted out of a zone object.