BIM Coordinator Program (INT) April 22, 2024
Find the next step in your career as a Graphisoft Certified BIM Coordinator!
Collaboration with other software
About model and data exchange with 3rd party solutions: Revit, Solibri, dRofus, Bluebeam, structural analysis solutions, and IFC, BCF and DXF/DWG-based exchange, etc.

Room Names on Door Schedule All Reverted to Custom

kevin b
Contributor
Anyone else run into this? We have been slowly moving toward getting a better door schedule, to look the way we want it to graphically and be automatically generated, all appeared to be working.

The room names on the schedules were generated from the Location setting in the door's parameters and that location was set to room name which was generated from the Zones. Several doors had to be set to custom because of the door swinging the "wrong" way and reading the name of the wrong zone.

At some point in the project, not sure when although noticed it after the most recent hotfix but can't say that was the trigger, but all of the names on the schedule reverted to blanks. When opening the offending doors, it was discovered that the Locations were all set to Custom, and since they were never custom before, all that was in the custom slot was a blank. When set back to Room Name they corrected.

The problem is that this wasn't noticed until after sets werte sent to contractors, since the previous issue of the drawings had all the names correct on the schedule, it wasn't checked again. The whole point of having things linked and cross referencing objects and schedules and detail numbers, etc is to save time, if you have to double check everything everytime a set is printed why bother with putting the Building Information into the Model to begin with. I know when I typed the room names into my old excel door schedule they never changed to blanks on me.

Very frustrating for those of us trying to sell the BIM concept the to non-belivers in the office and things like this happen.
kevin s burns, AIA

massachusetts, usa

AC25 (1413), since AC6

Windows 10

Intel Core i7 -8700 @ 3.2 GHz~ 16 GB ram
4 REPLIES 4
Erika Epstein
Booster
Kevin,
As frustrating as what you describe is, this kind of problem has happened to all users of software. We still need to check our work before it goes out for print. Whose job was it to check the pdf files before they were printed? This should be part of your office protocol.

And to help your firm as well as others using Archicad[Graphisoft], try to figure out how the problem happened. Perhaps it was user error? Did someone accidentally select all the doors when changing ONE DOOR to "custom"? Maybe someone made this error, corrected it but forgot to update the schedule in the layout book?

Was it the result of the hotfix being applied? etc.
No program and certainly no user, is infallible.
Erika
Architect, Consultant
MacBook Pro Retina, 15-inch Yosemite 2.8 GHz Intel Core i7 16 GB 1600 MHz DDR3
Mac OSX 10.11.1
AC5-18
Onuma System

"Implementing Successful Building Information Modeling"
Anonymous
Not applicable
Erika wrote:
Kevin,
As frustrating as what you describe is, this kind of problem has happened to all users of software. We still need to check our work before it goes out for print. Whose job was it to check the pdf files before they were printed? This should be part of your office protocol.

And to help your firm as well as others using Archicad[Graphisoft], try to figure out how the problem happened. Perhaps it was user error? Did someone accidentally select all the doors when changing ONE DOOR to "custom"? Maybe someone made this error, corrected it but forgot to update the schedule in the layout book?

Was it the result of the hotfix being applied? etc.
No program and certainly no user, is infallible.
It's for reasons like this that I always recommend to my clients to review all the layouts (in ArchiCAD and/or as PDF depending on the circumstances) before printing anything (other than internal review sets. There are so many things that can go wrong with all the steps and functions that we rely on to get the job done that it is foolish to assume that everything will be OK.

It is ALWAYS best to have the PA or principal in charge review any issue set (yes page by page) before it goes out the door. This is really no different than the old days of manual drafting.
vfrontiers
Enthusiast
Just to let you know it NOT USER ERROR... the same has happened to me.. Fortunately, I had to already corrected some, so only HALF the room names were missing... So it becomes obvious that there are holes in the schedule.

For 10 years I'm trying to get GS to put a HOTSPOT for linking a door to a zone, but no luck. In the beginning it was ill conceived as it was the WALL a door was in that twas the trigger... As you can guess, almost all walls share 2 or more zones, so it got confused. Then it was the door swing, which is not correct either...

Let me put a hotspot in the zone I want the door to belong to and be done with it... I am reverting all to CUSTOM now and manually typing.. Hardly BIM, but at least I get my drawings out.
Duane

Visual Frontiers

AC25 :|: AC26 :|: AC27
:|: Enscape3.4:|:TwinMotion

DellXPS 4.7ghz i7:|: 8gb GPU 1070ti / Alienware M18 Laptop
Brad Elliott
Booster
I am having a similar problem where three doors show correctly on plan but the rooms do not show up on the schedule. I tried to do the custom ID and Room ID in the Dimension Marker but I can't get that information to show in the schedule. How do you get it to show up?
Mac OS12.6 AC26 USA Silicon
M1 Macbook Pro
Learn and get certified!