BIM Coordinator Program (INT) April 22, 2024

Find the next step in your career as a Graphisoft Certified BIM Coordinator!

Collaboration with other software
About model and data exchange with 3rd party solutions: Revit, Solibri, dRofus, Bluebeam, structural analysis solutions, and IFC, BCF and DXF/DWG-based exchange, etc.
SOLVED!

Save as ArchiCAD as an IFC format Error Message

Anonymous
Not applicable
Hi Everyone,

I am an absolute beginner with ArchiCAD. I have been trying to save as an ArchiCAD model as an IFC file but I couldn't manage to do so neither export an IFC file nor import an IFC file generated from Revit, and I need it urgently as I need to complete my dissertation about BIM Software Interoperability. I will be extremely grateful if you could help me to figure out where I am doing wrong.

Untitled01.jpg
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Solution
Laszlo Nagy
Community Admin
Community Admin
Use the "File\Interoperability\IFC\IFC Local Preferences" menu command to open its Dialog.
In the "Express Data Manager (EDM) path" field, click the "Redefine" button to select another folder.
Loving Archicad since 1995 - Find Archicad Tips at x.com/laszlonagy
AMD Ryzen9 5900X CPU, 64 GB RAM 3600 MHz, Nvidia GTX 1060 6GB, 500 GB NVMe SSD
2x28" (2560x1440), Windows 10 PRO ENG, Ac20-Ac27

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8
Barry Kelly
Press the "Change" button and save somewhere else - i.e. your local hard drive - and make sure the file path is not to long.

That seems to be the obvious answer.

Are you simply trying to "Save As" from your plan and changing the file type to IFC?
Have you tried different translators?
At what step in the process are you getting this message?

Barry.
One of the forum moderators.
Versions 6.5 to 27
Dell XPS- i7-6700 @ 3.4Ghz, 16GB ram, GeForce GTX 960 (2GB), Windows 10
Lenovo Thinkpad - i7-1270P 2.20 GHz, 32GB RAM, Nvidia T550, Windows 11
Anonymous
Not applicable
Dear Barry,

Thanks a lot for your response, I have been trying to save it into another folder but again the same error message. I have tried all the available translators but I couldn't manage to simply save it as an IFC file. I am unable to import an IFC file into ArchiCAD too the same error message. once I manage to save it as an IFC I will commence my testing.
Barry Kelly
I am out of ideas sorry.

I have no trouble just saving as an IFC file but I have the full version and not the educational version.
So I am not sure if it is a limitation of the EDU version but as far as I know EDU should have full functionality.
Also I have no idea what the EDM folder path could be - I wonder if that is related to the EDU version as well or is something else you have in the model?

Open an empty template, add a couple of walls and save that as an IFC to see if that works.
If it does then there is something strange in your file.
If not then back to square one.

Barry.
One of the forum moderators.
Versions 6.5 to 27
Dell XPS- i7-6700 @ 3.4Ghz, 16GB ram, GeForce GTX 960 (2GB), Windows 10
Lenovo Thinkpad - i7-1270P 2.20 GHz, 32GB RAM, Nvidia T550, Windows 11
mikas
Expert
Are there any solutions found for this problem yet?
Two identical iMacs, mine works, and my coworkers doesn't.

Urgent resolution would be preferred to this problem.
What is this EDM folder path anyway? Is it the save location of the saved file or what?
AC25, Rhino6/7+Grasshopper, TwinMotionMac Pro 6,1 E5-1650v2-3,5GHz/128GB/eGPU:6800XT/11.6.5 • HP Z4/Xeon W-2195/256GB/RX6800XT/W10ProWS
Solution
Laszlo Nagy
Community Admin
Community Admin
Use the "File\Interoperability\IFC\IFC Local Preferences" menu command to open its Dialog.
In the "Express Data Manager (EDM) path" field, click the "Redefine" button to select another folder.
Loving Archicad since 1995 - Find Archicad Tips at x.com/laszlonagy
AMD Ryzen9 5900X CPU, 64 GB RAM 3600 MHz, Nvidia GTX 1060 6GB, 500 GB NVMe SSD
2x28" (2560x1440), Windows 10 PRO ENG, Ac20-Ac27
mikas
Expert
Thank You Laszlo, we got this working.
AC25, Rhino6/7+Grasshopper, TwinMotionMac Pro 6,1 E5-1650v2-3,5GHz/128GB/eGPU:6800XT/11.6.5 • HP Z4/Xeon W-2195/256GB/RX6800XT/W10ProWS
Anonymous
Not applicable
I'm getting this message while trying to export to IFC for Revit MEP from a new AC24 Template file:

Either the EDM folder path is too long, or you do not have the right to write the folder. Please choose another folder.

Also tried publishing it without success.

Any suggestions? Have things changed in the last few years?

I Also tried redefining IFC prefereces as suggested.
Minh Nguyen
Graphisoft Alumni
Graphisoft Alumni
Hello Nathan,

Thank you very much for your report and I am very sorry about the experience!

From previous cases, there are a few scenarios that could cause this issue:

- There is a space or special characters in the user's name and computer name on the machine
- The current user does not have permission to read/write on the destination folder

Please let me know if this helps!

Best regards,
Minh

Minh Nguyen
Technical Support Engineer
GRAPHISOFT

Learn and get certified!