Choose your top Archicad wishes!

Read more
Collaboration with other software
About model and data exchange with 3rd party solutions: Revit, Solibri, dRofus, Bluebeam, structural analysis solutions, and IFC, BCF and DXF/DWG-based exchange, etc.

Sketchup Import - Define Rules

Anonymous
Not applicable
Hi everyone,

I am messing about trying to import an SU model into AC_11. I can get the model in, with no problems, but I am encountering trouble when I try to define new rules.

For eg, when I try and tell it that oblique faces should be walls, the only option to select is Roofs. All the others are 'greyed out'.

If it helps, I'm running Vista.

Thanks for any advice- it'd sure be appreciated.
5 REPLIES 5
Anonymous
Not applicable
ajg wrote:
Hi everyone,

I am messing about trying to import an SU model into AC_11. I can get the model in, with no problems, but I am encountering trouble when I try to define new rules.

For eg, when I try and tell it that oblique faces should be walls, the only option to select is Roofs. All the others are 'greyed out'.

If it helps, I'm running Vista.

Thanks for any advice- it'd sure be appreciated.

Did u read help file about import ?????

All vertical faces are converted into walls, horizontal
faces into slabs, oblique faces into roofs and components into GDL
objects, windows or doors.

All OBLIQUE FACES ARE IMORTED AS ROOFS !!!!!!!!

a lot of work could be done in this addon, but GS will never improve it, something like windowmaker. Every version is same, nothing new and improved ! This add on is made in AC9 and now we have AC 11 and ofcourse, this addon cant use new possibiltes of AC 11.

see ya
Anonymous
Not applicable
Necko,

Thankyou for taking the time to reply. I did read the help file, and I understand what happens upon opening an .skp file. However, there is also the option to manually define translation rules. Upon selecting this option, the notification regarding automatic translation of elements disappears. That is why I thought that perhaps you could define the translation of oblique faces into things other than roofs.

Perhaps I can re-define the imported elements? This would save me sometime, rather than changing all the wall to vertical elements and 'slanting' them in AC.

Any further advice/comments are welcomed.

Thanks again.
Anonymous
Not applicable
ajg wrote:
Necko,

Thankyou for taking the time to reply. I did read the help file, and I understand what happens upon opening an .skp file. However, there is also the option to manually define translation rules. Upon selecting this option, the notification regarding automatic translation of elements disappears. That is why I thought that perhaps you could define the translation of oblique faces into things other than roofs.

Perhaps I can re-define the imported elements? This would save me sometime, rather than changing all the wall to vertical elements and 'slanting' them in AC.

Any further advice/comments are welcomed.

Thanks again.

I know what u mean, i use sketchup a lot and i love and its the most powerfull tool for drawing for me. For all work in AC u need expiriance, and u have to try a lot of different metods, then u will be able to know what is the fastes and best way to draw something. Dont try to draw a house in Sketchup and import it to Ac. Thats wrong and it will loose a lot of time. BUT drawing soem parts of house will sppeedd u up a lot.
Example,
roof can be finish much faster in Sketchup then in AC (i mean complex)
U can applay materials much faster and better in Sketcup
etc etc

BUT THIS ADDON MUST BE UPDATED !

Any freeform, or revolved object that is draw in sketchap and imported in AC will slow down AC A LOT !

archiforma is super if u need to create revoleved or like that objects without slowing down AC.

archiforma need some update 2

Or u can use GDL, which is soul of AC but then u will not be architect, instead u will become programer !
Combining these u can finish ur tasks!

Write if u have any Q about import i will gladly help u !
Anonymous
Not applicable
So has anyone made use of the objects that are already modeled in the 3d warehouse, as a way to get library parts from mfrs without having to do a custom model job oneself?

http://sketchup.google.com/3dwarehouse/cldetails?mid=a3fa8ac6f429ebcafb9d32e66ee0289&start=24

If you have, how have you managed to limit polygons, and help AC understand the SketchUp model?

Thanks in advance,

Nathan
Anonymous
Not applicable
I just tried my first 3D warehouse import. Fairly disappointing results. No apparent control to limit polygons etc...

Very slow import. (it was a pool table, so a few complex shapes I guess, but not an overly huge object). It now makes my model unusabley slow.

Have yet to successfully import something from Sketchup to Archicad 11. grrr.