Find the next step in your career as a Graphisoft Certified BIM Manager!

Collaboration with other software
About model and data exchange with 3rd party solutions: Revit, Solibri, dRofus, Bluebeam, structural analysis solutions, and IFC, BCF and DXF/DWG-based exchange, etc.
SOLVED!

The file is locked by another application. Importing xref

Anonymous
Not applicable
Hello everybody,

I have a problem with importing Xref or dwg to archicad. It always says - The file is locked by another application.
The Dwg is used by a colleague when she closed it, I can import it. But that's not how it is supposed to work. We work on shared HDD, but if I import Xref into Autocad it normally works. I couldn't find any solution on Google. Does anyone know what to do, please?
2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

Accepted Solutions
Solution

As discussed, it could be that someone else has the DWG open.

I have also found on a Windows system, just having a file selected in Widows Explorer with the 'preview' panel active, is enough for Archicad to think the file is in use.

Barry.

One of the forum moderators.
Versions 6.5 to 27
Dell XPS- i7-6700 @ 3.4Ghz, 16GB ram, GeForce GTX 960 (2GB), Windows 10
Lenovo Thinkpad - i7-1270P 2.20 GHz, 32GB RAM, Nvidia T550, Windows 11

View solution in original post

Solution

Also even if you close the file in Autocad the file can still read as locked until you quit Autocad.

Eduardo Rolón AIA NCARB
AC27 US/INT -> AC08

Macbook Pro M1 Max 64GB ram, OS X 10.XX latest
another Moderator

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8
SeRohde
Booster
Hi Posednak,

You said
Posednak wrote:
We work on shared HDD
it would be helpfull to know how the files are shared.
Is it a windows share (smb version) or a mac share
Or is it a cloud service for example

Without knowing this I just can guess. Files might be locked because of:
  • An Antivirus is scanning for changes (make exclusions)
  • Another user once opened it, but the filehandle never closed (Windows check compmgmt.msc > shared folders. Carefull when closing sessions or open files with write access. This might corrupt the file)
  • Its a cloudbased sharing and the sync is on it (make sure when sync starts and is able to finish)
  • Several Archicad Users/Servers are on it..
Admin of BIM [Cloud] [SaaS] [Server] | AC 19-25 [Win&Mac Clients] | VM's
Minh Nguyen
Graphisoft Alumni
Graphisoft Alumni
Hi,

Thank you for the question and I am sorry about the issue!

If you cannot attach XREF while the DWG file is still being opened by your colleagues, this is a limitation with how Archicad read the AutoCAD file. When you open a DWG, a DWL (temporary drawing lock) file is created. Its function is explained here: https://www.cadforum.cz/cadforum_en/qaID.asp?tip=3186

I believe Autodesk applications have a different way to bypass this. Unfortunately, you (or your colleagues) need to close the file before you can start attaching the DWG as XREF.

Thank you very much for your understanding! Please let me know if you have any further question!

Best regards,
Minh

Minh Nguyen
Technical Support Engineer
GRAPHISOFT

Anonymous
Not applicable
mnguyen wrote:
I believe Autodesk applications have a different way to bypass this. Unfortunately, you (or your colleagues) need to close the file before you can start attaching the DWG as XREF.
Best regards,
Minh
There is a setting in AutoCAD that enables xREF load with copy where AutoCAD essentially copies the xRefed file to a temporary folder in your hard drive, if this setting is not enabled the behaviour is exactly the same as that of Archicad

Regards
Scott

Hello, 

I can not import the dwg file to archicad could you help me? I added my problemi as jpg

sorun.jpg
Solution

As discussed, it could be that someone else has the DWG open.

I have also found on a Windows system, just having a file selected in Widows Explorer with the 'preview' panel active, is enough for Archicad to think the file is in use.

Barry.

One of the forum moderators.
Versions 6.5 to 27
Dell XPS- i7-6700 @ 3.4Ghz, 16GB ram, GeForce GTX 960 (2GB), Windows 10
Lenovo Thinkpad - i7-1270P 2.20 GHz, 32GB RAM, Nvidia T550, Windows 11
Solution

Also even if you close the file in Autocad the file can still read as locked until you quit Autocad.

Eduardo Rolón AIA NCARB
AC27 US/INT -> AC08

Macbook Pro M1 Max 64GB ram, OS X 10.XX latest
another Moderator

Thank you very muchh 

Thank you very muchhh...