BIM Coordinator Program (INT) April 22, 2024
Find the next step in your career as a Graphisoft Certified BIM Coordinator!
Collaboration with other software
About model and data exchange with 3rd party solutions: Revit, Solibri, dRofus, Bluebeam, structural analysis solutions, and IFC, BCF and DXF/DWG-based exchange, etc.

Updating IFC reference models

Stefan Videnov
Participant

Hi all,

We're begining to receive almost weekly an updated IFC model the construction. For us it is very useful to import their model in ours and use only the structural steel elements - columns, beams, trusses etc., while filtering everything else e.g. slabs.

The engineers are using Revit and they have multiple reference levels most of which do not match with the floor levels in archicad.

The solution so far has been by importing the IFC into a Helping file story levels that match our main project, deleting all unnecessary elements, then adjusting the Home story and Dispaly Options of most steel elements so they are displayed correctly. After that I link the Helping file as module in the main model. 

This works good, but since it has to be done every time we get an update it becomes a time sinkhole.

How can I improve on this process?

Thank you and kind regards!

3 REPLIES 3
Stefan Videnov
Booster

^bump

Laszlo Nagy
Community Admin
Community Admin

When you import the IFC file, do you use the Model Filter in the IFC Translator to bring in only elements you need? That way, you don't need to delete them as they are not even brought in to begin with.

Also, check the Help files for the functionality of the 

File > Interoperability > IFC > Update with IFC Model menu command:

https://help.graphisoft.com/AC/26/INT/index.htm?rhcsh=1&rhnewwnd=0&rhmapid=#t=_AC26_Help%2F121_IFC%2...

It may do what you want when you get a new updated IFC file.

Loving Archicad since 1995 - Find Archicad Tips at x.com/laszlonagy
AMD Ryzen9 5900X CPU, 64 GB RAM 3600 MHz, Nvidia GTX 1060 6GB, 500 GB NVMe SSD
2x28" (2560x1440), Windows 10 PRO ENG, Ac20-Ac27

Hi Laszlo, 

Thanks for the answer. Biggest issue so far is that the Revit models have completely different levels and I do have to adjust them so the different beams/columns are shown correctly. 
So far I haven't used the Update with IFC model command, because when I tried it it overwrote the home stories I've set.

Learn and get certified!