BIM Coordinator Program (INT) April 22, 2024
Find the next step in your career as a Graphisoft Certified BIM Coordinator!
Collaboration with other software
About model and data exchange with 3rd party solutions: Revit, Solibri, dRofus, Bluebeam, structural analysis solutions, and IFC, BCF and DXF/DWG-based exchange, etc.

Using only Solar panels for heating and hot water?

Anonymous
Not applicable
I am building a 800m2 object in the mountains (on about 2200 meters, in the Alps):

The object will be used only in summer period.
I was wondering if I can use only the solar panels for heating and hot water, during this summer period?

So is it possible to not use Natural gas from EcoDesigner for heating? Just solar panels?

In that case I would have zero CO2 emissions?

Thank you for the reply.
3 REPLIES 3
Anonymous
Not applicable
any reply please?
Anonymous
Not applicable
Well, I hope you're not going to base much of the energy design on EcoDesigner alone.

Ecodesigner is a nice toy to play around with, but I have yet to see any validation report about its maths.

Don't call your design zero-emission or passive or anything unless you do some accurate calculation on it.

If your project is to be built in the Alps and to be used in summer only, then you can probably achieve heating and hot water requirements with a combination of pvs and solar panels.

The state of the art calculation software for what you need is the PHPP by the Passivhaus institute. It's basically an excel spreadsheet, not that user friendly. But in my experience, if you're going for high energy efficiency, that's the professional way to go.
Anonymous
Not applicable
Thank you for the reply.

But concerning the fact that my object will be used only in summer months, this means I can use only Solar panels for heating the object and for hot water, doesn`t it?

Now, if this is true, I am still confused how to "turn off" usage of Electricity and Natural gas in my Ecodesigner, and get zero CO2 emissions?

Any help how can I do this in Ecodesigner?
Learn and get certified!