BIM Coordinator Program (INT) April 22, 2024

Find the next step in your career as a Graphisoft Certified BIM Coordinator!

Collaboration with other software
About model and data exchange with 3rd party solutions: Revit, Solibri, dRofus, Bluebeam, structural analysis solutions, and IFC, BCF and DXF/DWG-based exchange, etc.

Why sketchup ?

Anonymous
Not applicable
Hey gays

basically i am using ArchiCAD for 3D modeling and rendering, my question is do i need to use sketchup to gain an advantage over other archicad users those at the same level of mine.
will it give me more freedom to edit and deal with 3Ds comparing with before ?

Thanks
7 REPLIES 7
bari95 wrote:
Hey gays

basically i am using ArchiCAD for 3D modeling and rendering, my question is do i need to use sketchup to gain an advantage over other archicad users those at the same level of mine.
will it give me more freedom to edit and deal with 3Ds comparing with before ?

Thanks
First of all, it is not polite to address us all as "Hey gays".
I forgive the typo. guys is probably what you meant.

Anyway, no I don't think it is necessary to have Sketchup. I don't use it and I never think to myself that I wish I had it. I do however, like to use .skp files in ArchiCAD and the ability to save objects as .skp files.

But mine is just one opinion. What would you like to use it for if you have ArchiCAD?

ArchiCAD 25 7000 USA - Windows 10 Pro 64x - Dell 7720 64 GB 2400MHz ECC - Xeon E3 1535M v6 4.20GHz - (2) 1TB M.2 PCIe Class 50 SSD's - 17.3" UHD IPS (3840x2160) - Nvidia Quadro P5000 16GB GDDR5 - Maxwell Studio/Render 5.2.1.49- Multilight 2 - Adobe Acrobat Pro - ArchiCAD 6 -25

Anonymous
Not applicable
I used to use it before AC16 (I used other cad programs then)
As soon as i started using Archicad with the Morph tool it was goodbye Sketchup
I used to download a demo version that would last 90 days I think. Then tell them I need more time since I didn't get to use it much:) When the demo ran out I would just download another copy with a different email address. I had a current copy of it on my computer for many years and never need to buy it. Now I don't bother. It is not something I would use any more.

ArchiCAD 25 7000 USA - Windows 10 Pro 64x - Dell 7720 64 GB 2400MHz ECC - Xeon E3 1535M v6 4.20GHz - (2) 1TB M.2 PCIe Class 50 SSD's - 17.3" UHD IPS (3840x2160) - Nvidia Quadro P5000 16GB GDDR5 - Maxwell Studio/Render 5.2.1.49- Multilight 2 - Adobe Acrobat Pro - ArchiCAD 6 -25

Anonymous
Not applicable
thanks for understanding
and thanks for the answer
The only reason I can think of for using Sketchup instead of Archicad, for specific tasks in specific situations, is that there are a lot more Sketchup users than Archicad users. If you need help, or somehow need to collaborate with other people putting together a model or whatever, the chances of finding guys able to open and edit the file must be 10.000 higher for Sketchup than for Archicad.

If you will be looking for a job in some architecture office, 'not knowing' Sketchup might be a killer these days. Just as with Autocad some years ago and maybe even today, having a very elementary knowledge that will allow you to say 'I can use Sketchup' will definitely help. Most people who 'know' Sketchup or Autocad 'know' them in a very limited sense, just as if I said 'yeah, I can command a commercial airplane' meaning 'I can definitely sit in the cockpit and move levers and hit buttons'. So don't shoot yourself in the leg by saying you can't do what just about everybody else says they can do but most can't really —spend a few hours playing with it and looking at documentation or videos, and get rid of that hurdle.
runxel
Legend
Ignacio wrote:
If you will be looking for a job in some architecture office, 'not knowing' Sketchup might be a killer these days.
2010 has called, it wants it software back.
Seriously, it kinda depends on where you want to work. In Europe Sketchup hardly plays a role.
Lucas Becker | AC 27 on Mac | Author of Runxel's Archicad Wiki | Editor at SelfGDL | Developer of the GDL plugin for Sublime Text |
«Furthermore, I consider that Carth... yearly releases must be destroyed»
I just went to Linkedin, searched jobs worldwide, and got
- 1500 hits for Rhino,
- 3700 for Sketchup,
- 14000 for Revit,
- 65000 for Autocad, and
- 1000 for Archicad.

It is not that knowing Sketchup is a huge asset, but 'not knowing' (with all the caveats in my previous message) Sketchup may well end up being a liability. I have carefully and successfully avoided hideous Autocad and Sketchup all my life, and know I've paid a cost for that. I have happily paid that cost, but it is still a cost.
Learn and get certified!