Find the next step in your career as a Graphisoft Certified BIM Manager!

Collaboration with other software
About model and data exchange with 3rd party solutions: Revit, Solibri, dRofus, Bluebeam, structural analysis solutions, and IFC, BCF and DXF/DWG-based exchange, etc.
SOLVED!

Wrong FILE_NAME in exported IFC header

Scraptrash
Booster

it seems that the FILE_NAME in the exported IFC file’s header is wrong. (see screenshot)

Screenshot 2023-04-21 at 5.37.49 PM.png

The FILE_NAME should be the exactly the same as the name set up in the publisher (ARC_IFC4RV_SP in my case), but it turns out that the FILE_NAME also includes the full path where the IFC file is exported to. 

This causes error when I put the IFC file to Trimble Connect. It says it can’t find my IFC file in this name (with the full path) when syncing the BCF file (long story.....) Anyway, This problem is solved when the FILE_NAME does not include the full path but only the file name.

I think this is a bug. Please fix it. Thanks.

MacBook Pro (16 inch, 2021) Apple M1 Max 64GB macOS Monterey Archicad 26 MBP trackpad Logitech Master MX3
2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

Accepted Solutions
Solution
Miha_M
Advisor

I use our ifc files on a local computer so I had no problem with that. But I checked and all ifc files I have exported have a full path description there. The Implementation Guide for IFC Header Section lists an example with the full path + filename though.

Our whole information network is MS based and we have parts of our CDE on Sharepoint with synced folders to local user-based computers. Now each ifc output has under it's name the corresponding username included in the path description..., which I don't like.

| Archicad 4.55 - 27
| HP Z840 | 2× E5-2643 v4 | 64 GB RAM | Quadro M5000 | Windows 10 Pro x64
| HP Z4 G4 | W-2245 | 64 GB RAM | RTX A4000 | Windows 11

View solution in original post

Solution

Thanks for your information. I didn’t know there’s a guide talking about this header. 

I google it and found this discussion in the buildingSMART forum

https://forums.buildingsmart.org/t/about-ifc-header-section/2522/4 

that it seems having full path name (either in Windows or Linux / Mac format) may either be not the original intent or it’s time to update the document. 
It also says Revit, Archicad, blenderBIM all have different implementation on this field.

So it’s not a bug. I wouldn’t need to care about it if I had not used Trimble connect as CDE and BCF manager. 

MacBook Pro (16 inch, 2021) Apple M1 Max 64GB macOS Monterey Archicad 26 MBP trackpad Logitech Master MX3

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
Solution
Miha_M
Advisor

I use our ifc files on a local computer so I had no problem with that. But I checked and all ifc files I have exported have a full path description there. The Implementation Guide for IFC Header Section lists an example with the full path + filename though.

Our whole information network is MS based and we have parts of our CDE on Sharepoint with synced folders to local user-based computers. Now each ifc output has under it's name the corresponding username included in the path description..., which I don't like.

| Archicad 4.55 - 27
| HP Z840 | 2× E5-2643 v4 | 64 GB RAM | Quadro M5000 | Windows 10 Pro x64
| HP Z4 G4 | W-2245 | 64 GB RAM | RTX A4000 | Windows 11

Solution

Thanks for your information. I didn’t know there’s a guide talking about this header. 

I google it and found this discussion in the buildingSMART forum

https://forums.buildingsmart.org/t/about-ifc-header-section/2522/4 

that it seems having full path name (either in Windows or Linux / Mac format) may either be not the original intent or it’s time to update the document. 
It also says Revit, Archicad, blenderBIM all have different implementation on this field.

So it’s not a bug. I wouldn’t need to care about it if I had not used Trimble connect as CDE and BCF manager.