BIM Coordinator Program (INT) April 22, 2024

Find the next step in your career as a Graphisoft Certified BIM Coordinator!

Collaboration with other software
About model and data exchange with 3rd party solutions: Revit, Solibri, dRofus, Bluebeam, structural analysis solutions, and IFC, BCF and DXF/DWG-based exchange, etc.

Zone calculation

Anonymous
Not applicable
I have a request from my contractor to calculate wall areas for wallpaper and painting.

I would like to calculate a rooms wall surfaces and have them listed in a schedule. Ok this I know how to do with a zone but if a wall is divided in parts it's listed by the parts.
I wish to have this wall that consists of three different wall types calculated as one.

Suggestions anyone?
13 REPLIES 13
Laszlo Nagy
Community Admin
Community Admin
I have not tried this but maybe you could assign the same ID to all 3 Walls, then enable the SUM option for the ID field in the scheme setup dialog.
Loving Archicad since 1995 - Find Archicad Tips at x.com/laszlonagy
AMD Ryzen9 5900X CPU, 64 GB RAM 3600 MHz, Nvidia GTX 1060 6GB, 500 GB NVMe SSD
2x28" (2560x1440), Windows 10 PRO ENG, Ac20-Ac27
Anonymous
Not applicable
Yes Laszlo I've taught of that but I don't want to change wall ID's as they are important in other schedules.

I would like the zone to regard it's side against these 3 walls as one surface and then list each side in the zone as one surface
But I cant find the parameter for it.

I've made a schedule that calculates a zone but the wall surface parameter calculates the surface total not the individual sides.
Anonymous
Not applicable
I've also fumbled with List but it's a bit complicated.

Maybe some pictures will help.

P.S. In this picture the walls have the same ID I know but I hope you understand anyway.
Anonymous
Not applicable
Scheme settings.
Zone schedule.PNG
Anonymous
Not applicable
List result.
Laszlo Nagy
Community Admin
Community Admin
I don't exactly understand this because you show screenshots of the Scheme Settings Dialog, which is related to Interactive Schedules, then you give the last screenshot which is the traditional listing type list.
Loving Archicad since 1995 - Find Archicad Tips at x.com/laszlonagy
AMD Ryzen9 5900X CPU, 64 GB RAM 3600 MHz, Nvidia GTX 1060 6GB, 500 GB NVMe SSD
2x28" (2560x1440), Windows 10 PRO ENG, Ac20-Ac27
Anonymous
Not applicable
Yes I know it's a bit confusing and I'm confused too

I've tried the Interactive Schedule with the setting shown and didn't think the resulting image would be interesting as it only shows the total surface. I can't find a parameter that shows surfaces divided by zone side.

Then I tried List were I get all the walls surfaces but can't find a way to summarize walls adjacent to a zone side. Picture shows result.

This is a mockup conversation between the DATABASE and the SCHEDULE request.
Hi
Hi Dave
Are you a zone?
Yes
Please return STORY
2. Story
Please return ID
LGH 022
Please return ZONE_NAME
LIVINGROOM
Please return ZONE_HIGHT
How many vectors (sides) do you have?
Please return vector position
Vector 1, A.B,
Vector 2, B.C,
Vector 3, C.D,
Vector 4, D.E,
Vector 5, E.F,
Vector 6, F.A
Is Vector n adjacent to Wall?
Yes, No, Partially
IF YES Please calculate Vector n * ZONE_HIGHT and return result
NEXT n
IF NO GOTO NEXT n
IF Partially Please calculate (Vector n - walls not adjacent to zone) * ZONE_HIGHT and return result
NEXT n

Or something like this.
Anonymous
Not applicable
Great way of explaining a programming language Borg. Even I could learn GDL that way

I can fully understand your problem with zones, and relate to it 100%, as my last 2 years where spend modeling building for construction caliber quantity takeoff purposes.

I do not see any way of extracting the info you need directly from the model, without going through some extra modeling work (for instance, dividing the zone into 3 with zone limit lines) and then working with the resulting data on a spreadsheet software (Excel for instance).

If money is not an issue (!), I would recommend using VICO Takeoff Manager. This software allows you to import ArchiCAD models and assign takeoff items to surfaces of elements (painting). Thus, it would be possible to paint partial surfaces of zones (or walls) and assign wallpaper to them. The interface is very easy to learn and intuitive, and you have instant feedback between the 3D window and the BOQ.

http://www.vicosoftware.com/products/3d-bim-software-quantity-takeoff/tabid/229123/Default.aspx?sour...
Anonymous
Not applicable
Krippahl wrote:
Great way of explaining a programming language Borg. Even I could learn GDL that way
Thank you Krippahl!

Well I'm a BORG "Resistance is futile"

Yes I've heard VICO is capable of this but unfortunately money is one of the issues and an other is I don't want to use additional software.
I've been reading other similar post like:

archicad-talk.graphisoft.com/viewtopic.php?t=755

and

archicad-talk.graphisoft.com/viewtopic.php?t=35886&postdays=0&postorder=desc&&start=0

but I'm reluctant to dive into this kind of programing as I don't know if it will solve my problem and if I will be able to connect it to a zone.

If all walls surface A was facing the room it would be easier but this is not the case. What if the reference line was Center? Hmm.
Learn and get certified!