Collaboration with other software
About model and data exchange with 3rd party solutions: Revit, Solibri, dRofus, Bluebeam, structural analysis solutions, and IFC, BCF and DXF/DWG-based exchange, etc.

Zone name > Ifcspace name > Room name in Revit.

Anonymous
Not applicable
Hi everyone,

We are working on a project in which the zones names are linked to a Property that contains an Expression. This Expression gathers several parameters and in the end we have an automatic name.

In our IFC translator, I have tried to link the ifcSpace Name into this Property but it seems to me that Archicad is not capable of reading the expression.

Contrarily, If I map the ifcSpace Name into a property that contais just a text (no expression) it's ok.

I am assuming this "ifcSpace name" is what Revit reads automatically (and exclusively) to name rooms. Is this correct?

Thank you in advance.
4 REPLIES 4
Laszlo Nagy
Community Admin
Community Admin
Please post screenshots that also show the Property Expression.
Does the Property correctly display the Expression?
Is the Property made available to the "Space" Classification?
Are Zones properly classified as "Space"?
Loving Archicad since 1995 - Find Archicad Tips at x.com/laszlonagy
AMD Ryzen9 5900X CPU, 64 GB RAM 3600 MHz, Nvidia GTX 1060 6GB, 500 GB NVMe SSD
2x28" (2560x1440), Windows 10 PRO ENG, Ac20-Ac27
Anonymous
Not applicable
Hi Laszlo,

Actually it works. I had forgotten to add the expression in the hotlink file (that actually contains the zones) instead of only on the host file. That's the necessary thing to do, correct: The property (expression) has to be implemented in the hotlinked file.

However, it seems to me that Archicad by default interprets the zone NAME that as the ifc long name and zone NUMBER as the actual ifcName which was a surprise for me. I would expect the opposite but its a personal thing.

Thank you anyway.
Laszlo Nagy
Community Admin
Community Admin
afaria wrote:
However, it seems to me that Archicad by default interprets the zone NAME that as the IFC long name and zone NUMBER as the actual IfcName which was a surprise for me. I would expect the opposite but it is a personal thing.

Thank you anyway.

Yes, I noticed that too when I viewed my exported test IFC file in Solibri. I don't know why this is so. But at least it works.
Loving Archicad since 1995 - Find Archicad Tips at x.com/laszlonagy
AMD Ryzen9 5900X CPU, 64 GB RAM 3600 MHz, Nvidia GTX 1060 6GB, 500 GB NVMe SSD
2x28" (2560x1440), Windows 10 PRO ENG, Ac20-Ac27
Anonymous
Not applicable
Fun fact: from a brief meeting online, I got the feeling that Navisworks gets the zone name from the Archicad zone category... This would mean that Revit and Navisworks don't map these ifc values the same way. But I might be mistaken, because it was a glance... too fast.