BIM Coordinator Program (INT) April 22, 2024
Find the next step in your career as a Graphisoft Certified BIM Coordinator!
Collaboration with other software
About model and data exchange with 3rd party solutions: Revit, Solibri, dRofus, Bluebeam, structural analysis solutions, and IFC, BCF and DXF/DWG-based exchange, etc.

(ifc) Properties show wrong Values in Object Settings Dialogue

JSN
Enthusiast
I have a Slab which has a Pset containing two properties, Area and Height.

Area = ifcAreaMeasure = Mapped with Bottom Surface Area of Slab
Height = ifcLengthMeasure = Mapped with Slab Height

Actually, the ifc export is working as it is working as supposed, however in the Object Settings I noticed a strange behaviour.

Area = 0,000 => Not Correct
Height = 4,2 => Correct

If I click on Manage Ifc Properties in the Object Settings Dialogue the correct Values are shown (and export/shedules/...) as you can see and everything else is behaving properly as well.

As the <Expression> Property Values are also never calculated in the Object Settings I was thinking that there might be no chance at all to display the absolute values within the Object Settings - and for the most use cases it might not even be necessary to have them - however, what is confusing me is, that the values for Height are indeed shown in this Settings Dialogue.

Therefore I find it confusing that anyway this (Standard-)Value (?) of 0,000 is shown for the Areas (or also other calculated Quantity Poperties like Volumes).

So ideally it would be great to have the correct values shown for Area too, or if this has such a major effect on performance (which I can hardly believe as in the IFC Manager it is calculated pretty fast as well) than there should at least be a hint like <Bottom Surface Area> to have an idea what the value will be.

Still, if I have missed anything out to make this already happen please let me know. thank you.
5 REPLIES 5
Minh Nguyen
Graphisoft Alumni
Graphisoft Alumni
Hi,

Thank you very much for sharing the issue here and I am sorry about the experience!

Since I don't have much experience with IFC, I will ask our Technical Support Team to investigate this issue. Once we have the conclusion I will inform the result here.

Thank you very much! I wish you a great day!

Best regards,
Minh

Minh Nguyen
Technical Support Engineer
GRAPHISOFT

JSN
Enthusiast
Thank you Minh, I am eagerly looking forward to it.

All the best,
J
Minh Nguyen
Graphisoft Alumni
Graphisoft Alumni
Hi,

I have received some help from our Technical Support team regarding this issue.

The Element Settings dialog shows IFC properties only based on the IFC Translator set as Preview (https://helpcenter.graphisoft.com/user-guide/77315#XREF_54713_Preview_Translator). This means that properties can be missing from here and can have different values (based on a different mapping rule).

In this situation, since you have the IFC output correct but the value displayed in the Settings dialog is not, this could be the cause. I would suggest changing the Preview IFC Translator to that one that you use to export. That way, the value will show the correct information.

I hope this will help you with the issue! Should you have any further questions feel free to ask me again. Thank you very much!

Best regards,
Minh

Minh Nguyen
GRAPHISOFT

JSN
Enthusiast
Hi,

Yes, everything you pointed out is correct, however it seems like that this is not the solution.

Firstly, there are no missing properties - the correct translator is set as Preview as the two properties clearly appear as you can see in my screenshots above and, ...

Secondly, before the question arises, there is just this translator which contains the properties "Height, Area & Volume", so there cannot be a wrong mapping schema applied.

So, please ask the Technical Support team again as the problem is not that the properties are missing or the mapping is wrong, but that some of them (Area, Volume) are showing wrong values in the Element Settings Dialog (0,000 insted of real Value or at least <Bottom Surface Area> like in 'Manage IFC Properties') although the mapping is correct while others seem to work perfeclty fine (Height).

So to me it appears as this issue is still not resolved and please let me know if there is a proepr solution.
Thank you very much!

Best regards,
Julian
Minh Nguyen
Graphisoft Alumni
Graphisoft Alumni
Hi Julian,

Thank you for your feedback!

Based on this, I am wondering if you could share with us a file where it shows the problematic value in the Element Settings? I can get you a link where you can securely send us the file if you need. With this, we can dive deeper into what is causing the issue!

Let me know here or via Private Messenger if the link is needed. Thank you very much!

Best regards,
Minh

Minh Nguyen
GRAPHISOFT

Learn and get certified!