Collaboration with other software
About model and data exchange with 3rd party solutions: Revit, Solibri, dRofus, Bluebeam, structural analysis solutions, and IFC, BCF and DXF/DWG-based exchange, etc.

.rfa to .gsm conversion

Anonymous
Not applicable
Guys and Gals,

Is there a software tool or method to convert Revit .rfa files to .gsm files for use in Archicad?

Toto has a whole slue of toilets, sinks, shower receptors, etc. available on their site in .rfa format, and I'd love to use them if I can extract them. Ideally, I'd like to do this in AC9, but if I need to, I could do it in AC12.

I also have MaxonForm available for use, if necessary, but haven't explored that yet.... haven't yet loaded it on the new machine. If I need to, I will.

Thanks in advance!
19 REPLIES 19
Laszlo Nagy
Community Admin
Community Admin
No direct solution I am aware of.
If they are also available in DWG, 3ds or SketchUp then you can get it into AC.
Loving Archicad since 1995 - Find Archicad Tips at x.com/laszlonagy
AMD Ryzen9 5900X CPU, 64 GB RAM 3600 MHz, Nvidia GTX 1060 6GB, 500 GB NVMe SSD
2x28" (2560x1440), Windows 10 PRO ENG, Ac20-Ac27
Anonymous
Not applicable
any hope that this conversion will someday be possible??
Anonymous
Not applicable
Thanks, Laz... That's what I was afraid of.

This is our industry's next big challenge... full interoperability. Some poor devil spent hours, days, WEEKS making all those toilets and sinks on Toto's site, and none of us can use them. Darn shame.

Talk with you guys soon... back to work while there's still work!
Laszlo Nagy
Community Admin
Community Admin
I am really starting to wonder how much effort it would be to create such a translator. I don't know if Revit API allows it.
But I believe GDL is much more capable than what you can do in Revit Families parameter-wise. So based on my knowledge of Revit, I think it could be possible to convert family parameters to GDL parameters.
I see one thing that may or may not be a tough thing: Revit can create all kinds of forms with its modeling tools. There are similar commands to some of them, like Extrude, Tube, Ruled but if that does not work GDL can create forms out of nodes, edges and planes programmed in GDL. This is how most DWG/3DS stuff gets generated into GDL.
The big question is: can this geometric info be extracted since RFA is non-public format. Maybe the Revit API answers whether this is possible or not.

If we could have a decent RFA to GDL converter (most Revit Families are rather simple compared to GDL Objects such as Doors/Windows), this whole manufacturer problem would be solved because they would create the RFAs and these could be easily converted to GDL too.
So I keep dreaming...
Loving Archicad since 1995 - Find Archicad Tips at x.com/laszlonagy
AMD Ryzen9 5900X CPU, 64 GB RAM 3600 MHz, Nvidia GTX 1060 6GB, 500 GB NVMe SSD
2x28" (2560x1440), Windows 10 PRO ENG, Ac20-Ac27
Anonymous
Not applicable
nice dream Laszlo

cheers cary
rob2218
Enthusiast
Now..come on folks. Why would Autodesk, Graphisoft..etc...want full operability and convertability between programs.

don't you know that's how "people"/programmers/manufacturers etc.. make their money?

if you have an object/familiy whatever that can both be inserted/ brought into any format of database possible, then you just eliminated work for one or another company.....

that's why the whole "universal compatibility" issue will NEVER be resolved. Because you can't please everyone all of the time.....

Companies chose Archicad for a certain reason/result/ etc...and other companies go with Revit for other reasons/results...etc....but there isn't one that does it ALL....
...Bobby Hollywood live from...
i>u
Edgewater, FL!
SOFTWARE VERSION:
Archicad 22, Archicad 23
Windows7 -OS, MAC Maverick OS
Anonymous
Not applicable
Revit families (like projects) can be exported to CAD files: Autocad DWG/DXF; Microstation DGN or Acis SAT.
I believe Archicad can then import those formats and of course all parametric information is loss. But you get the geometry.
Besides that, I would never do the opposite (GSM->RFA). Non native revit object (called imported families) are hard to manage. In fact, if you take a look at the competition forum (AUGI), you'll find that. Legay Autocad details are never advised.
TMA_80
Enthusiast
Something interesting (Source;: Shoegnome) , Maybe Graphisoft is working on a similar thing :

http://bradleybim.com/2014/03/21/bentley-aecosim-building-designer-reads-manufacturer-revit-family-f...
AC12_20 |Win10_64bit|
Stress Co_
Advisor
TMA_80 wrote:
Something interesting (Source;: Shoegnome) , Maybe Graphisoft is working on a similar thing :
Does it seem odd to anyone else that Bentley is supporting Bradley (via .rfa files), but Bradley doesn't think there is enough interest to support Bentley (or Archicad)?

Screen shot from responses to a July '13 webinar Q and A.

If your interested in letting Bradley know your needs for gsm…
the email address is:
bimfeedback@bradleycorp.com
Screen Shot 2014-04-07 at 2.46.54 PM.png
Marc Corney, Architect
Red Canoe Architecture, P. A.

Mac OS 10.15.7 (Catalina) //// Mac OS 14.2.1 (Sonoma)
Processor: 3.6 GHz 8-Core Intel Core i9 //// Apple M2 Max
Memory: 48 GB 2667 MHz DDR4 //// 32 GB
Graphics: Radeon Pro 580X 8GB //// 12C CPU, 30C GPU
ArchiCAD 25 (5010 USA Full) //// ArchiCAD 27 (4030 USA Full)