Collaboration with other software
About model and data exchange with 3rd party solutions: Revit, Solibri, dRofus, Bluebeam, structural analysis solutions, and IFC, BCF and DXF/DWG-based exchange, etc.

roof

Devonha
Booster

Hello everyone. What is the best way to extend roof sides without moving pivot lines. I have a task where says:
roof pivot line must be on inside face of the wall but roof perimeter must be aligned with outside face of the wall. Is it even possible to do? Or the only possible way is to extend pivot line?

Architecture student Tautvydas Grigalauskas

ARCHICAD 25.0.0 INT
LAPTOP-ER287GTP • AMD Ryzen 7 5800H with Radeon Graphics 3.20 GHz • 16,0 GB
13 REPLIES 13

@David Maudlin 

1. Builded a wall.
2. Made a roof pivot line by inside face of the walls.
3. Selected every element of my project and used ''Trim elements to roof'' tool to connect walls and roof.

Below I will show you how project changes after using the 3rd step. For some reasons I've noticed another problem. After using ''trim elements to roof'' tool, the connection of the these two objects are gone (shown in screenshot #2, middle of the object)
Also. After selecting roof's perimeter and using pet palet to extend sides of the roof it works but adds another problem. Length dimension is ok as I get what I wanted but width dimension also extrudes and that makes it problematic because my goal was only to offset the roof's length dimension. (shown screenshot #3)

Anyway, I think that the must is to find a roof covering tool to hide the construction of the roof and not to offset the roof.

To make it clear:
Question is how to find roof covering tool? I am not familiar with it.
How to keep in place connection between buildings after using ''trim elements to roof''?

Screenshot (57).pngScreenshot (58).pngScreenshot (60).png

Tautvydas

Architecture student Tautvydas Grigalauskas

ARCHICAD 25.0.0 INT
LAPTOP-ER287GTP • AMD Ryzen 7 5800H with Radeon Graphics 3.20 GHz • 16,0 GB

'Trim to Roof' uses a cutting body that sits under the roof.

There is an 'on-screen' option to turn this cutting body on in 3D.

The cutting body can be set to the pivot line extent or the edge of the roof.

When you perform the trim, you decide whether you want to trim the wall inside or outside of the trimming body.

As you connection is on the outside, that may explain why it disappears (gets trimmed away).

You will also have issues with the strengths of your building materials - stronge bulding materials cut weaker ones which is why the wall show through to the top surface of the roof.

Personally I use Solid Element Operations with roofs (I am a bit old school - this is all we used to have).

Use 'Subtract with upward extrusion' to trim away the top of the wall above the roof.

Barry.

One of the forum moderators.
Versions 6.5 to 27
Dell XPS- i7-6700 @ 3.4Ghz, 16GB ram, GeForce GTX 960 (2GB), Windows 10
Lenovo Thinkpad - i7-1270P 2.20 GHz, 32GB RAM, Nvidia T550, Windows 11

Tautvydas:

I agree with Barry that SEO is a better option. And don't select all elements, select only those that will interact for each SEO, as Archicad will need to calculate the operation for non touching elements if everything is selected.

SEO vs Trim Elements.png

Also. After selecting roof's perimeter and using pet palet to extend sides of the roof it works but adds another problem. Length dimension is ok as I get what I wanted but width dimension also extrudes and that makes it problematic because my goal was only to offset the roof's length dimension. (shown screenshot #3)

As 4dProof showed, use the Offset Edge option, not Offset All Edges option, in the Pet Palette.

David

David Maudlin / Architect
www.davidmaudlin.com
Digital Architecture
AC27 USA • iMac 27" 4.0GHz Quad-core i7 OSX11 | 24 gb ram • MacBook Pro M3 Pro | 36 gb ram OSX14

SEO is a best solution to pretty much everything you want to subtract etc. but always keep in mind if you do too much operation and your system can't handle it tends to drag / hang in certain parts. 😁

In the end what is your Objective?
ArchiCAD 9 onwards