Collaboration with other software
About model and data exchange with 3rd party solutions: Revit, Solibri, dRofus, Bluebeam, structural analysis solutions, and IFC, BCF and DXF/DWG-based exchange, etc.
SOLVED!

sq m to sq feet expression and schedules

Anonymous
Not applicable
Hi I need to have sq meter and square feet in a schedule. I can convert the numbers with an expression but when the schedule sums the zones the figure is shown as m2.
Am I missing something in the expression or in the schedule? or am I asking something that AC can't do currently?
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Solution
James B
Graphisoft
Graphisoft
I also made a quick video last year about how to convert units.

James Badcock
Graphisoft Senior Product Manager

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8
Podolsky
Ace
When you create your property expression - set property value as a number (i.e. 0.000) not area. Then ArchiCAD will not treat this as an area and will not use m² in Schedule sum.
Anonymous
Not applicable
Podolsky, I did try this but with the expression as is it just errors out. :S
Laszlo Nagy
Community Admin
Community Admin
You can also convert the Measured Are in Feet to a String (STRCALCUNIT), and then convert that to a number (STRTONUM), which can then be summed in the schedule.
The only thing missing, in this case, is there will not be "ft" displayed in the Total row for it.
In the below example, to get the feet value, I divided the Measured area by the square of 0.3048 m, which is the exact amount of 1 foot.

Loving Archicad since 1995 - Find Archicad Tips at x.com/laszlonagy
AMD Ryzen9 5900X CPU, 64 GB RAM 3600 MHz, Nvidia GTX 1060 6GB, 500 GB NVMe SSD
2x28" (2560x1440), Windows 10 PRO ENG, Ac20-Ac27
Solution
James B
Graphisoft
Graphisoft
I also made a quick video last year about how to convert units.

James Badcock
Graphisoft Senior Product Manager
Laszlo Nagy
Community Admin
Community Admin
Hi James,

That was a cool trick you showed at 7:20 when you divide the Area by 1 m2 to convert it to a Number instead of using my convoluted method. Pretty elegant. I did not know you could do that in Property Expressions.
Loving Archicad since 1995 - Find Archicad Tips at x.com/laszlonagy
AMD Ryzen9 5900X CPU, 64 GB RAM 3600 MHz, Nvidia GTX 1060 6GB, 500 GB NVMe SSD
2x28" (2560x1440), Windows 10 PRO ENG, Ac20-Ac27
David Shorter
Advisor
I needed to display site areas in Hectares and was surprised that I couldn't add additional unit types so I eventually used expressions to convert m2 to hectares .
Fairly simple multiply m2 x 10000
I then added this new property to the Zone stamp to display the plot area. I could also use the new property in a schedule to list all the plots/lots/paddocks and calc a total area of the "farm". The only downside was that the units were not displayed against each zone stamp. So I changed the the conversion expression to STRING and added 'ha' for the units

"
That worked for the individual lots but not for the schedule as each lot area was now a STRING

So I needed to create a new expression retaining the area but omitting the "ha" units

Is there a better way of achieving this other than a simple export to Excel?
Archicad 4.1 to 27 Apple Silicon
you can't build a line
Mac Studio
iPad Pro
iPhone
Barry Kelly
David wrote:
Is there a better way of achieving this other than a simple export to Excel?
Probably not.
You can add a column header and add "Ha" or "Hectares' there (not a great solution).
But you will still get no total in the schedule, unless you have them as numbers and not a string.
But then you will need to work on the zone stamp to show the area and the non-standard unit.

Barry.
One of the forum moderators.
Versions 6.5 to 27
Dell XPS- i7-6700 @ 3.4Ghz, 16GB ram, GeForce GTX 960 (2GB), Windows 10
Lenovo Thinkpad - i7-1270P 2.20 GHz, 32GB RAM, Nvidia T550, Windows 11
David Shorter
Advisor
Hi Barry
The zone stamp works fine as you can add the property/expressions in the Zone stamp settings. Very cool really
Archicad 4.1 to 27 Apple Silicon
you can't build a line
Mac Studio
iPad Pro
iPhone