Collaboration with other software
About model and data exchange with 3rd party solutions: Revit, Solibri, dRofus, Bluebeam, structural analysis solutions, and IFC, BCF and DXF/DWG-based exchange, etc.

update from artlantis back to archicad

Anonymous
Not applicable
After sending a project from Archicad 12 to Artlantis 3 and then rendering a few things, I find no way to update my project back into Archicad for further work. Under the Artlantis plugin instructions, they merely say to update into Archicad. Can you tell me how to do that? Thanks.
5 REPLIES 5
Karl Ottenstein
bobup wrote:
After sending a project from Archicad 12 to Artlantis 3 and then rendering a few things, I find no way to update my project back into Archicad for further work. Under the Artlantis plugin instructions, they merely say to update into Archicad. Can you tell me how to do that? Thanks.
There is no way to import anything from Artlantis back to ArchiCAD.

You can modify your ArchiCAD model and export it to Artlantis, using an Artlantis Reference File to pick up all changes made from the last Artlantis session. But, Artlantis shaders and objects are not compatible with ArchiCAD, so this is a one-way street.

Maybe let us know what/why you need to get something from Artlantis back into ArchiCAD that using a reference file does not resolve?

From a geometry point of view, if you add geometric objects inside of Artlantis, then Artlantis 3 does support export to a variety of 3D formats - but the result is a dumb 'mass', with no texture information.

Cheers,
Karl
One of the forum moderators
AC 27 USA and earlier   •   macOS Ventura 13.6.6, MacBook Pro M2 Max 12CPU/30GPU cores, 32GB
Anonymous
Not applicable
Thanks Karl,

I think I get it now. There is no need to send a project back to Archicad from Artlantis as Artlantis updates any new work sent from Archicad.

Much thanks for quick reply.
Karl Ottenstein
Glad that helped, Bob. I should say that while Abvent claims that the 'use reference file' option in the ArchiCAD export works - I have had the most reliable results by just exporting to a new file name, opening that file in Artlantis, and then using the File > Use Reference File... dialog to link to the file saved form the previous Artlantis session.

You have the choice of bringing into your new file any or all of:
- the shaders from the reference file
- lights
- heliodons (suns)
- objects
- perspective camera views (and associated heliodon/layer/etc visibility)
- parallel views
- panoramas
- VR objects
- animation sequences

I typically check everything, as I basically want to be where I left off in the last Artlantis session, but with any modifications that I had made in ArchiCAD.

Have fun with it,
Karl
One of the forum moderators
AC 27 USA and earlier   •   macOS Ventura 13.6.6, MacBook Pro M2 Max 12CPU/30GPU cores, 32GB
Anonymous
Not applicable
Karl wrote:
I should say that while Abvent claims that the 'use reference file' option in the ArchiCAD export works - I have had the most reliable results by just exporting to a new file name, opening that file in Artlantis, and then using the File > Use Reference File... dialog to link to the file saved form the previous Artlantis session.

I'm glad to hear other users also may find difficulties with the 'Use Reference File' directly from ArchiCAD. I get blank files in Artlantis and I thought it was just me...
Export a new file as Karl says and use the Reference option in Artlantis is the best way to go.
Anonymous
Not applicable
It would be nice to have a feature in archicad, so it was possible to import artlantis files. It would save me some time, to setting up a VBE file, that looks like my final renders in artlantis. This must be on the wish list.