Modeling
About Archicad's design tools, element connections, modeling concepts, etc.
SOLVED!

3D Trimming ARCHICAD 21

Anonymous
Not applicable
Currently learning how to use Archicad and have gotten stuck on something that seems to have many different solutions but also many restraints. I am trying to trim an I Beam to an I Column intersection but when I use the trim command it automatically deletes the beam in its entirety rather than trimming the flange to the web of the column. Any help would be appreciated thanks!
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Solution
runxel
Legend
Okay, so if I understood correctly the easiest way here is to just add hotspots to the outer edge of your profile.
You're able to snap to them now – no need for the trim, just normal length edit will do the job.
Lucas Becker | AC 27 on Mac | Author of Runxel's Archicad Wiki | Editor at SelfGDL | Developer of the GDL plugin for Sublime Text |
«Furthermore, I consider that Carth... yearly releases must be destroyed»

View solution in original post

9 REPLIES 9
runxel
Legend
Could you provide a picture of what you're trying to achieve?
Lucas Becker | AC 27 on Mac | Author of Runxel's Archicad Wiki | Editor at SelfGDL | Developer of the GDL plugin for Sublime Text |
Laszlo Nagy
Community Admin
Community Admin
PBI wrote:
Currently learning how to use Archicad and have gotten stuck on something that seems to have many different solutions but also many restraints. I am trying to trim an I Beam to an I Column intersection but when I use the trim command it automatically deletes the beam in its entirety rather than trimming the flange to the web of the column. Any help would be appreciated thanks!

Which ARCHICAD version are you using?
In ARCHICAD 23 it is possible to set the End Angles of both Columns and Beams.
Loving Archicad since 1995 - Find Archicad Tips at x.com/laszlonagy
AMD Ryzen9 5900X CPU, 64 GB RAM 3600 MHz, Nvidia GTX 1060 6GB, 500 GB NVMe SSD
2x28" (2560x1440), Windows 10 PRO ENG, Ac20-Ac27
runxel
Legend
LaszloNagy wrote:
Which ARCHICAD version are you using?
Look at the title of this post: Archicad 21

So maybe there is only SEO as last resort. But before I've seen the situation it's hard to tell.
Anonymous
Not applicable
runxel wrote:
Could you provide a picture of what you're trying to achieve?
Laszlo Nagy
Community Admin
Community Admin
runxel wrote:
Look at the title of this post: Archicad 21

Sorry, I must have been tired when I was reading this thread, totally overlooked that info.
Loving Archicad since 1995 - Find Archicad Tips at x.com/laszlonagy
AMD Ryzen9 5900X CPU, 64 GB RAM 3600 MHz, Nvidia GTX 1060 6GB, 500 GB NVMe SSD
2x28" (2560x1440), Windows 10 PRO ENG, Ac20-Ac27
runxel
Legend
Thanks for the image, PBI!

I'm trying to understand what you're trying to achieve. Which part of the beam should be omitted?
Anonymous
Not applicable
runxel wrote:
Thanks for the image, PBI!

I'm trying to understand what you're trying to achieve. Which part of the beam should be omitted?
I want to get all three intersecting beams to the outside edge of the center column. Right now they are all connected with the center snap of the column in the 2D story. Because the column only has the center snap point it won't treat the edge of the column as a line I can adjust to. The beams that intersect with the flange I've managed to adjust on some of the columns but they are never consistent but the beam through the webbing of the column refuses to acknowledge the inside edge as a flush trimming point when I use "cmd-".
Solution
runxel
Legend
Okay, so if I understood correctly the easiest way here is to just add hotspots to the outer edge of your profile.
You're able to snap to them now – no need for the trim, just normal length edit will do the job.
Anonymous
Not applicable
Thanks, definitely overthinking it!