BIM Coordinator Program (INT) April 22, 2024

Find the next step in your career as a Graphisoft Certified BIM Coordinator!

Modeling
About Archicad's design tools, element connections, modeling concepts, etc.

? A way to batch process "pencolor re-assignment"?

Anonymous
Not applicable
I'm thinking about rearranging my "standard" pencolor table into something a bit more organised. As it's grown and been modified, it's become less consistent. Plus, I'm wanting to simplify it a bit more so I have less pen variants for the same object-type. So I'd like to "do a complete re-write" and start from scratch.

Only trouble is: existing projects!
I'd need to alter the pencolor index references on all of the objects in an existing project.

Is there any way to batch-process something like this:

Find all parameters of all instances of all objects where pencolor=X and set each parameter that matches to pencolor=Y

? 😕

(If only we had a scripting language, eh? Hint, hint.)
2 REPLIES 2
This is why I like my pen set. It is based on something rational ( although irrelevant ) so it can be managed and configured efficiently and quickly for other pen sets.

It is based on the pens matching the old technical pens we used to use working by hand and with pen plotters.

It is very simple. Pen 1: .1mm, Pen 2: .2mm, Pen 3, .3mm ...
for the first 10 pens in all 13 rows.

I make all the colors of a row the same color.
All the pens of a column the same size.

This is done for the first 10 columns. Column 10 is .01mm for hairline.

The result is that you can always know the pen size by it's number or last digit as the case may be. If the pen number ends with a 0 it is a hair line pen. Pen 7, .7mm. Pen 227, .7mm ....

You would pick what ever colors you like for the rows.

This is for the first 10 columns.

It serves as the base pen set that is used to make the others.

I find it to be a big advantage to always know what the pen size is just by looking at the pen number.

Also, I like to work with an "as you see it" pen set. What I see, is what I get when I print.

I have never seen the value in drawing with a pen that looks one way in model view, another way in layout, and perhaps a different way when it is printed.

I like knowing that the way I drew it is the way I will see it when it's printed.

You can load this pen set and see if you like it. This is just the basis for making other pen sets that will also have pen number related to pen size.

ArchiCAD 25 7000 USA - Windows 10 Pro 64x - Dell 7720 64 GB 2400MHz ECC - Xeon E3 1535M v6 4.20GHz - (2) 1TB M.2 PCIe Class 50 SSD's - 17.3" UHD IPS (3840x2160) - Nvidia Quadro P5000 16GB GDDR5 - Maxwell Studio/Render 5.2.1.49- Multilight 2 - Adobe Acrobat Pro - ArchiCAD 6 -25

I looks something like this.

ArchiCAD 25 7000 USA - Windows 10 Pro 64x - Dell 7720 64 GB 2400MHz ECC - Xeon E3 1535M v6 4.20GHz - (2) 1TB M.2 PCIe Class 50 SSD's - 17.3" UHD IPS (3840x2160) - Nvidia Quadro P5000 16GB GDDR5 - Maxwell Studio/Render 5.2.1.49- Multilight 2 - Adobe Acrobat Pro - ArchiCAD 6 -25

Learn and get certified!