Modeling
About Archicad's design tools, element connections, modeling concepts, etc.

AC15 recovered file crash on startup

Anonymous
Not applicable
Hi,

I have an autosaved version of an ac15 file that i'm trying to recover following a crash. unfortunately ac has saved it in an unstable state and opening it crashes ac before i get a chance to have access to the file. I'm almost certain that the crashing is a result of my graphics card and the particular state of the view when the file was autosaved, rather than the file itself being unstable. what I would like to do is start a fresh file and import the recovered data as a hotlink, just to test my theory that there's actually nothing wrong with the file. of course I can't get to a fresh file while there is data in the autosave folder, the only option I have is to delete or open the autosaved data. my question: can I rename the @Global.T file to .pln file in order to have the autosaved data as a .pln file?

Thanks
Nick
11 REPLIES 11
Marton Kiss
Graphisoft
Graphisoft
Back in 14 it was possible to to rename the @Global.T to a pln, but that was only a half success, because that saved only the model information. All sections, details, worksheets, drawings etc. were lost. There is a folder near the @Global.T file, that contains the previous information.

In case someone does not have usable backup, I recommend to send the full content of the Autosave folder to the local distributor who will transfer the files to us.

(In this particular case I contacted Nick directly and we will check why reopening the autosave crashes.)

Regards,
Marton
Marton Kiss
VP, Product Success
GRAPHISOFT
Anonymous
Not applicable
Whenever I have a problem like this the first thing I do is make a copy of the autosave folder to the desktop (or wherever). Once you've done that you can delete the original and launch ArchiCAD normally. I recovered a file this way just the other day. Good luck.
Anonymous
Not applicable
Maybe you could move the folder to a different computer that might work with the view in question and then fix the issue there so the you can save a file for your computer?
Anonymous
Not applicable
Thankyou all for your suggestions, however it seems I won't get an opportunity to test any of them as the autosave folder is no longer there. Not sure how, it was there yesterday. I no longer get a prompt to recover the autosaved file when I start ac either. I had only copied out the @Global.T file yesterday. Marton, from what you say, I gather this is useless on it's own. Well thanks anyway.

Regards,
Nick
Anonymous
Not applicable
Hi all, so unfortunately i've managed to recreate my crashing scenario, thankfully I've been a little more diligent with my saves and am not relying on the autosave anymore, however the crashing is getting a little annoying now and would really like to resolve it so I can get some work done. I'm thinking that I have a graphics problem so if anyone is familiar with the Nvidia GeForce 310 and can help with the settings so as to get the best performance out of Archicad that would be greatly appreciated. I believe its a graphics problem because of three reasons: 1, the trace reference display is next to useless most of the time, it displays jittery when I move it (see attached image). 2, the 3D editing plane doesn't display with transparency, it shows up white, and so again it's also useless unfortunately - It may be worth noting that when I first installed archicad 15 onto my pretty much brandnew current (laptop) system the editing plane did display correctly, however I then plugged in my LG external display, which installed some software (since removed), and after that the editing plane won't display correctly. I've tried manipulating the graphics settings, including restoring factory settings, but unfortunatley I don't know enough about it for it to have any effect at all. And 3, representation of materials in the 3d window is sometimes pretty unreliable. Changes in materials, mostly to walls, is unreliable and often either doesn't change from whatever the previous material colour was, or just displays an incorrect colour - even two walls, next to eachother, of exactly the same material will show differently (occasionally causes issues with window transparencies as well). Though I will point out that this has been an issue accross multiple Archicad versions, multiple computers, and multiple system configurations, so it may be irrelivant to this particular situation.
It's probably also worth noting that the above 3d scenarios are all open GL, and other than these three issues, all other graphics performance is smooth and reliable
The crash scenario:
Using the 'Planned Status' renovation filter (the others seem to be fine) and selecting a trace reference storey from the project map causes a crash, usually the first trace reference selection does it, sometimes it takes a couple of reference switches, but inevitably it crashes.

So if anyone can help with graphics performance, or ofcourse if there are any other ideas of why this might be happening, any help would be really really appreciated. Thanks.

Nick
Anonymous
Not applicable
After a few more unintentional crashes I've managed to figure out that any renovation filter that has existing elements display set to 'override' will crash the file when a trace reference is turned on, without exception. I've not managed to narrow it down to any one particular attribute override, it doesn't seem to matter. Further, only when the storey selected as a trace reference has a dwg placed on the floorplan as an external drawing will the file crash.
I even started a fresh file, placed no elements except a dwg as an external drawing (not xref), selected a renovation filter that had existing elements set to display 'override' and then turned on the storey with the dwg as a trace reference and immediately crashed the file.

...any ideas?
Anonymous
Not applicable
Nick00R wrote:
After a few more unintentional crashes I've managed to figure out that any renovation filter that has existing elements display set to 'override' will crash the file when a trace reference is turned on, without exception. I've not managed to narrow it down to any one particular attribute override, it doesn't seem to matter. Further, only when the storey selected as a trace reference has a dwg placed on the floorplan as an external drawing will the file crash.
I even started a fresh file, placed no elements except a dwg as an external drawing (not xref), selected a renovation filter that had existing elements set to display 'override' and then turned on the storey with the dwg as a trace reference and immediately crashed the file.

...any ideas?
It seems you've done quite a bit of work on troubleshooting this. Have you reported the problem to Graphisoft? If not you can launch the Bug Reporter directly and copy these details into the note section.
Anonymous
Not applicable
It does sound like a driver issue and as AC is trying to make calls to the card, the card is failing to interpret it right. Are you having problems outside of Archicad? Notice anything not working right?

You also could try switching the rendering engine from the OpenGL one to the internal one (useful for diagnostics). You could try uninstalling your video driver and reinstalling it. You might have to bite the bullet and reinstall too.
Laszlo Nagy
Community Admin
Community Admin
Are you using the vendor supplied driver for the card or the NVidia driver?
If the former, you could try the NVidia driver.
I am using the latest NVidia driver, and I have a similar GPU to yours, one generation later but the driver is the same.
I have had some display issues with it with AC15 but nothing as serious as yours.
Loving Archicad since 1995 - Find Archicad Tips at x.com/laszlonagy
AMD Ryzen9 5900X CPU, 64 GB RAM 3600 MHz, Nvidia GTX 1060 6GB, 500 GB NVMe SSD
2x28" (2560x1440), Windows 10 PRO ENG, Ac20-Ac27