Modeling
About Archicad's design tools, element connections, modeling concepts, etc.

Archicad 25 PLN file size jumped from 20MB to 5GB

jakubc7
Advocate
Has anyone experienced this issue? I started my first v25 project from my own (rather clean and well maintained template - no missing / duplicate library parts, nothing embedded, no migrated libraries etc).

I spend couple of hours on the job, tracing an exploded PDF (no more than 500 elements, all lines, fills deleted etc).

I have drawn only walls, filled out project info, activated / positioned my survey point, story height and defined my sea level. When I went to save it took couple of minutes and I didn't notice until after that the file was syncing to my google drive at 5GB size.

I tried trimming all of the exploded PDF linework from the worksheet but that did not help. There are no unexpected libraries suddenly embeded. I want to do more troubleshooting but I have done so little to the file I cannot think what it could be.

I got around the issue by starting a new file and setting everything up once again. Copied all my walls and even copied the exploded PDF to a worksheet. Basically replicated the file and it saved at 20mb. See attached screenshot (right hand side is the new file, left hand is the original).

I am curious if this has happened to anyone as I cant afford to get too far into the project just to have it happen again.
ArchiCAD 10 - 25 | Windows 10
ARCHIcreate | Perth, Western Australia
archicad solutions | content creation | training | software implementation
22 REPLIES 22
jakubc7
Advocate
It's happened again but this time it's jumped from 20MB to 2GB. I only added some windows. Nothing else!
Sorry to keep this thread going but I hope to get answers from the users and I will be adding this post link to Graphisoft / Central Innovations with my e-ticket.

I will post here if I get a solution.
Barry Kelly
This is a bit scary but luckily I have not come across it yet.
Just in the process of sorting my template and so far everything is much the same as it was.

Have you checked hotlinks? - just a hunch.
I was also thinking new attributes, but there would have to be millions to make a file this size.

Barry.
One of the forum moderators.
Versions 6.5 to 27
Dell XPS- i7-6700 @ 3.4Ghz, 16GB ram, GeForce GTX 960 (2GB), Windows 10
Lenovo Thinkpad - i7-1270P 2.20 GHz, 32GB RAM, Nvidia T550, Windows 11
jakubc7
Advocate
Scary indeed. I expect a few bugs when getting onto the new version this early on but this makes my project unworkable. I saved back to v24 and so far no sign of the same issue.

No hotlinks / xrefs etc. Even all my linked libraries do not add up to the total of 5GB so I don't think it's embedding them.

I tried opening with the OPEN AND FIX option and no good.

Saving back to v24 from the 5GB file still results in a 5GB file. However saving back from 20MB version resulted in 20MB v24 file (as expected) and no issues so far ... fingers crossed.
Minh Nguyen
Graphisoft Alumni
Graphisoft Alumni
Hello,

Thank you very much for your report and I am very sorry about the issue!

We already had a similar report from another area, so this is definitely not language version-related. As of now, we are not sure what caused it yet, or if there is a special way to reproduce the issue. As soon as we have the result, I will share it with you here!

Best regards,
Minh

Minh Nguyen
Technical Support Engineer
GRAPHISOFT

jakubc7
Advocate
Thanks Minh. I hope to hear from you with an update soon. I have logged a ticket with CI and Andrew is in charge of my ticket. He also has my oversized PLN and the 20MB version before it became huge. Not sure if it would be of any help to you.
Barry Kelly
Seems it has happened to someone else with version 25.

https://archicad-talk.graphisoft.com/viewtopic.php?f=37&t=72193#p331068

Barry.
Versions 6.5 to 27
jakubc7
Advocate
Thank Barry. Interesting because the thread dates back to March 2021 which would suggest it started on v24.
I messaged both CI and GS pointing them to the other user's thread.

So far I've seen no progress despite following up multiple times. All I get is we're still looking at it:?
Barry Kelly
The original file in that other post was a mere 600MB, which is easy to do with an embedded library.
But you guys are getting files of multiple GBs with seemingly nothing in them.
I tried looking at the file RandyC linked to.
I got it open but as soon as I tried to save it took a very long time and eventually locked up my machine - had to force a restart.

Barry.
Versions 6.5 to 27
jakubc7
Advocate
Based on my correspondence, it looks like GS figured out the issue and are able to fix the files on case to case basis. May be worth getting in touch with your reseller if this happens to you. Meanwhile I am starting another project in v25 and keeping my fingers crossed