Libraries & objects
About Archicad and BIMcloud libraries, their management and migration, objects and other library parts, etc.

Assigning 'Materials' to custom library objects

Anonymous
Not applicable
Could someone please tell me if there is a way to add/assign materials to a certain part of a library part.

For example, I have recently being constructing 3D library parts using the wall and slab tools etc, and then convert them to the 3d library part. However I do not know how to then change each surface material to any of those that archiCAD has. I am not creating this from scratch using GDL script, only from plan view using Walls, Slabs and Windows and such.

If anyone knows how to make these changes can you please let me know

Thank you.
11 REPLIES 11
Link
Graphisoft Partner
Graphisoft Partner
Without GDL, I'm sure you need to assign the materials before you create the object. That is, set the materials of the walls, slabs etc. This is why it's a good idea to create these elements in a separate project called 'Object Factory' or something equally witty.

Cheers,
Link.
Oleg
Expert
AnthonyD wrote:
Could someone please tell me if there is a way to add/assign materials to a certain part of a library part.

If anyone knows how to make these changes can you please let me know
If you have assigned different materials to parts before you create the object, you can try out our free rxAutoMaterials addon.
The add-on will create material parameters for every hardcoded material in 3d script.
Karl Ottenstein
Oleg wrote:
AnthonyD wrote:
If you have assigned different materials to parts before you create the object, you can try out our free rxAutoMaterials addon.
The add-on will create material parameters for every hardcoded material in 3d script.
Everyone should have a copy of Oleg's free rxAutoMaterials add-on. Sorry I've been on vacation or I would have posted immediately to recommend this.

http://www.arexline.com/

By assigning unique materials (anything - don't worry about getting it 'right') to the pieces of your assembly before saving it as an object, the rxAutoMaterials add-on presents a dialog that lets you automatically create parameters for each unique material, providing prompt strings of your choosing, so you have a fully material-parametric library part without any GDL coding. It's magic, and a wonderful gift to us all from Oleg and Arexline. Mac and Windows.

When you combine the new 'wallhole' and 'wallniche' functionality of ArchiCAD 9 with rxAutoMaterials, everyone can create free-form material-parametric windows and doors without ever looking at GDL. And of course much more.

Karl
One of the forum moderators
AC 27 USA and earlier   •   macOS Ventura 13.6.6, MacBook Pro M2 Max 12CPU/30GPU cores, 32GB
Anonymous
Not applicable
Oleg wrote:
What a great Add-on . Thank you for sharing it. It looks like you have some other useful add-ons at you site as well.
Anonymous
Not applicable
Oleg wrote:
Hi Oleg, i knew your rxAutoMaterials Add-on, but i did not realised you wrote a Mac version.
Works fine, as all your other Add-ons. Many thanks.
Anonymous
Not applicable
Thank you for sharing this wonderfull add-on with us, Oleg!

You saved an enormous amount of time and effort to all of us!

By the way - when you select the LibPart and open the add-on you must be in 2D window. If you pick it in 3D window it remains shaded in the menu.
Oleg
Expert
Thank you guys.
kliment wrote:
By the way - when you select the LibPart and open the add-on you must be in 2D window. If you pick it in 3D window it remains shaded in the menu.
Yes, it works only in 2D or for the active default library part (as after creation of a part it is a default part, you may use the tool at once without placing and selecting it on the plan).
I have not made it working in 3D as it will demand rebuild the 3D window. I do not think, that support of 3D window is important in this case, but may be I shall try to enable ever.

Thangs again.
Anonymous
Not applicable
There are these addons for Archicad 10?
Anonymous
Not applicable
Oleg,
Is your website still active? When I try to load it - some scam drugstore shows up.