BIM Coordinator Program (INT) April 22, 2024

Find the next step in your career as a Graphisoft Certified BIM Coordinator!

Modeling
About Archicad's design tools, element connections, modeling concepts, etc.

Buying older ArchiCAD version online

Anonymous
Not applicable
Sydney based here. I have used Archicad since version 8 with Wibu keys that belong to my employers. Now I want to operate my own business BUT cannot afford to pay $6000 for a new license. Is there an legit way of buying an older version (preferably in a box) with a license that I can get transferred to my name? I've read that if I just keep the software in someone else's name I can't upgrade or get support. I've seen websites where you can download it for UK$149 such as Soft Buy but I think it may be dodgy.

Basically I need an authentic but cheaper way of buying any version between A12-A15.
3 REPLIES 3
Karl Ottenstein
Anything as cheap as you listed is definitely dodgy: (a) illegal 'cracked' software that cannot be updated and may have other issues, besides depriving Graphisoft of income, or (b) a box with no license.

You can purchase a license from anyone with one for sale - but Graphisoft does charge a very hefty fee to change it to your name in order to get support or to upgrade in the future. In the US, that fee is about $2,000. You'd have to check with your AUS reseller to see what it is there... and then use that fee to back off from retail to figure out what a fair purchase price for a 'used' license is.

The software, disks, etc. are not an issue - you can download or borrow all of that ... you're basically paying for a license (wibu or codemeter) to be able to run the software.
One of the forum moderators
AC 27 USA and earlier   •   macOS Ventura 13.6.6, MacBook Pro M2 Max 12CPU/30GPU cores, 32GB
Anonymous
Not applicable
Thank you Karl,

I have an Archicad 14 disc so where do I buy these licenses? (can you suggest to me any resellers? Would it be literally the little green WIBU key that I could just get posted from US, UK etc or does it have to be from an Australian reseller?

Anything up to $5400, I'm willing to pay. $2000 is cheap in comparison! Hehe

Thanks again,

Want to do the right thing
Karl Ottenstein
Chiabot wrote:
Thank you Karl,

I have an Archicad 14 disc so where do I buy these licenses? (can you suggest to me any resellers? Would it be literally the little green WIBU key that I could just get posted from US, UK etc or does it have to be from an Australian reseller?
It is the green (etc) Wibu key, or silver (etc) Codemeter key ... but resellers only sell new licenses. You'd have to place an Ad (Ads forum) or find an Ad for someone selling and negotiate offline. Any key will 'work' ... but I doubt that you can get a US, UK, etc key officially transferred to your name as an AUS key. So, again, you must contact your local AC reseller to find out what the key/license transfer fees and terms are before proceeding.
One of the forum moderators
AC 27 USA and earlier   •   macOS Ventura 13.6.6, MacBook Pro M2 Max 12CPU/30GPU cores, 32GB
Learn and get certified!