Modeling
About Archicad's design tools, element connections, modeling concepts, etc.

CAD BIM Anxiety, Frustration, Stress, Irritation, & Health

Gus
Newcomer
Has anyone else noticed that using CAD or BIM software regularly makes them Anxious, Frustrated, Stressed Out, Irritated, or even Angry?

I have been using software like this for about 15 years now. I'm pretty damn good at it, but not until recently have I realized that no matter how long I use this software, it never causes less of the above symptoms. I thought for years that I would get over these things, if I only obtained a better understanding of the software. It turns out (at least for me) that since the software improves every year, and the templates need to be updated every year, that we never stop learning how to draft.

It used to be, years ago, that 90% of an architects drafting skills were learned after the first few couple years, then after that they were free to spend most of their time designing rather than learning how to draft. Now days, an architect continues to learn how to draft every single year they are in practice until they finally reach the age where they abandon drafting all together because they have fallen too far behind, and other younger architects can draft for them anyway. Eventually, I assume, some older architects start to feel almost obsolete because they don't know how to use the design tools anymore.

Keeping up, is frustrating. It never ends. I thus, am anxious in this profession. I'm finding sitting behind my computer all day every day eternally stressful, not to mention physically unhealthy.

Does anyone else feel like this?
How do you view this?
How are you managing this?
How do you think you will manage this in the long run?
www.michaelgustavson.com Architect NY WI IL
Madison WI
Archicad21 MEP EcoDesSTAR Win10-64-bit
EliteBook8570W Corei7-3630QM@2.40GHz
QuadroK2000m RAM32 (2)250GBSSDs
4 Monitors Internet:4Up60Down
10 REPLIES 10
Anonymous
Not applicable
As a professional I think you should always be learning, I endeavour to expand my knowledge base and skill set every day.

Whether it is how to do something better in my production tool of choice, what other production tools are up to (are they a better tool for me), new codes / contracts / products, design ideas and experimentation etc etc.

But maybe if your current tool works got you, you get the productivity you need and your clients are happy with the product you are delivering there may no need to upgrade your software each year and you can spend your time and stress keeping up with everything else.

Regarding keeping up / becoming obsolete your knowledge of construction, how to put things together and all the other accumulated over years of practice should keep you relevant. You may find the young ones faster taking up / using new tools and even at getting lines on paper but generally it is not good enough to issue, I have seen output from a BIM 'guru' which was supposed to be issued for construction but I would say that it was only fit for sketch design even though 'the information was in the model' - not much good in there when the deliverable is a drawing, this is where experience matters.

The profession is very much experiencing tough times; fees are low, expectations are high, time frames short, and regulations excessive but I believe that things will improve.

Scott
DGSketcher
Legend
Gus wrote:
Has anyone else noticed that using CAD or BIM software regularly makes them Anxious, Frustrated, Stressed Out, Irritated, or even Angry?
Does anyone else feel like this?
Frequently

How do you view this?
A side effect of using an "Expert" system developed by individuals whose views naturally do not always align with that of the end user. Its a bit like working with someone who thinks they always know the best way to do something and won't change their ways until the next training course (update).

How are you managing this?
Consider the software as part of your design team, if you don't get on then part company. If you can't find software to work with then change your approach e.g. Retrain or even shift career.

How do you think you will manage this in the long run?
Constantly reviewing the software market for tools that make me more efficient and are enjoyable to work with day to day. Currently AC ticks a lot of boxes on my requirements.
Apple iMac Intel i9 / macOS Sonoma / AC27UKI (most recent builds.. if they work)
Anonymous
Not applicable
high pressure job and high pressure environment unreslistic expectations.

burnuot and a stunned mullet look on your face and and tired of trying to keep up?

there has got to be a better way, semi retire if you got some money or downsize your life?

When it becomes fun again you know you are on the right track

Give your health a higher priority, why slave for those who are rich enough?

We all have our take on life but we must find a way to enjoy the ride.

Only take on what we can personally handel and take time out to rest, easily said than done?
Scott alluded to this, but I think the constant version upgrades are a large part of what makes us frustrated and annoyed. They NEVER work as advertised, at least in the early hotfixes, and we experience crashes, problems that demand looking for workarounds, and constant learning of new procedures and possibilities that take us away from what we enjoy most.

I am on AC17 now, and plan to stay for a few years, if possible. Yes, I am going to miss some really cool features that might be useful, but I would prefer to know the workarounds in my current software and be able to deal with them quickly, and get some actual work done, than to be constantly learning new software. I enjoy learning new software, but work suffers when I deal with a learning curve. I'd rather rip the band-aid off quickly every few versions (after hotfix #3 or so) than to slowly peel it off every year.

I have great respect for people who are lightning fast on AC12 (or whatever) and are still on Windows XP or whatever it was at the time.
Richard
--------------------------
Richard Morrison, Architect-Interior Designer
AC26 (since AC6.0), Win10
Anonymous
Not applicable
Imagine the stress irritation and frustration of not having the latest tools and fixes?

The new version implementation is a pain and takes lots of time too.

Bring on version 19 as we all get a kick out of using new tools and faster ways around the program.

The new render option in 18 was worth the upgrade as that speeds things up for me at least.

Plus if you get behind they want a double upgrade fee as well and that is a major pain!
Da3dalus
Enthusiast
I certainly see the effects Richard refers to, in terms of upgrade fatigue. Myself, I am quite comfortable with ArchiCAD, as I've been using it so long, its second nature. Plus, I went through quite a few years stuck at a job using vanilla AutoCAD... so I know it can be MUCH worse.

HOWEVER, now I'm a BIM Manager, responsible for many people's BIM-well-being in a larger firm. My pain comes from keeping them going, making time to help them, and developing better templates, objects, and resources for them, all while completing my own projects (though I do have a reduced workload).

So when something goes wrong, I can adapt... but there are 40 people looking at me for answers. Recent BIM Server problems in ArchiCAD 18 have really pushed our limits of sanity, especially after AC17 worked so well. I have no problem waiting it out, but there are sinister forces pushing us forward.

As the economy has improved, we've hired new people... and they need computers. Turns out that Apple has recently changed their OS policy; new Macs cannot be downgraded to an earlier OS (as we've done in the past), so in every case, we're forced into Yosemite (10.10). Alas, this OS has some issues with ArchiCAD, more so on 17 that 18, and there is simply no more support for 16 or earlier. So we must carry on and endure bugs until Hotfixes can roll out... then get recalled... and then be issued again.

So who has the problem computers? The new users who don't know whether something is broken, or they're doing something wrong, or that's how it's supposed to be! It's for them I feel the worst, and I try to find time to be a cheerleader, to encourage them, and fix their issues after hours. And I smile and politely retort when they ask why don't we just use R#%@t. I remind them that it could be much worse.

And meditate. Lots of meditation.
Chuck Kottka
Orcutt Winslow
Phoenix, Arizona, USA

ArchiCAD 25 (since 4.5)
Macbook Pro 15" Touchbar OSX 10.15 Core i7 2.9GHz/16GB RAM/Radeon Pro560 4GB
Laszlo Nagy
Community Admin
Community Admin
I think these are problems all architects experience from time to time regardless of which application they use.
I think this is more of a software industry issue, not an architectural software or ArchiCAD-specific issue.
My 2 cent.
Loving Archicad since 1995 - Find Archicad Tips at x.com/laszlonagy
AMD Ryzen9 5900X CPU, 64 GB RAM 3600 MHz, Nvidia GTX 1060 6GB, 500 GB NVMe SSD
2x28" (2560x1440), Windows 10 PRO ENG, Ac20-Ac27
gpowless
Advocate
Da3dalus wrote:
My pain comes from keeping them going, making time to help them..."
Yes the Code 16 problem.

Code 16: The real problem is 16" away from the monitor
Intel i7-6700@3.4GHz 16g
GeForce GTX 745 4g HP Pavilion 25xw
Windows 10 Archicad 26 USA Full
Anonymous
Not applicable
laszlonagy wrote:
I think these are problems all architects experience from time to time regardless of which application they use.
I think this is more of a software industry issue, not an architectural software or ArchiCAD-specific issue.
My 2 cent.
I really have to agree, but I also think there is a generational component to this "disconnect". My son, graduated from school three years ago and now works in NYC (alas, in architecture) and he and his friends are all conversant, if not expert, in Rhino, Grasshopper, Revit, Sketchup etc. Obviously, they are not responsible within their firms to manage software upgrades or deal with integrating construction document issues, but dealing with constant software change is a way of life for them. It might be because they don't know any better? I think the software interface issue is more of a problem for those of us who enjoyed the times when the process of design and hand drawing was much more personal and direct and without being filtered through the vagaries of ever-changing, never finished software.

He was modeling his first residential tower in Sketchup and Autocad (I was surprised how many NYC firms do not have BIM) and was having a hard time getting a feel for the design. For fun, I sent him an old adjustable triangle and suggested he set aside the computer and do some hand drawing. Now, you would think that cad would be the perfect tool for a high rise, but he rediscovered the direct connection between pencil and paper that cad doesn't come close to providing.

I think there is a much larger issue for young architects and that is so many of them don't or can't use hand drawing as a thinking tool. Cad has given us a lot of power and problems, but I believe it has also taken away much of what makes architecture unique and special.

Still looking?

Browse more topics

Back to forum

See latest solutions

Accepted solutions

Start a new discussion!