BIM Coordinator Program (INT) April 22, 2024
Find the next step in your career as a Graphisoft Certified BIM Coordinator!
Modeling
About Archicad's design tools, element connections, modeling concepts, etc.

Chamfering a log corner

Anonymous
Not applicable
I am attempting to represent a window in a log wall, with no trim on the exterior, just the window frame. The window would have a chamfer cut into the log wall, a bevel cut, basically. We are using Theometric's Door and Window Builder 3.5. When the cut is 90 degrees, it represents correctly, as indicated in the images following. When we introduce the chamfer, it inserts a paper thin cutting plane that we can not remove. Any thoughts or experiances with similar situations? We would like to see the chamfer, and the rounded log ends.

The first image represents the 90 degree cut,

The next one the paper-thin chamfer.

Any/all help is appreciated.
9 REPLIES 9
Anonymous
Not applicable
The second image representing the paper-thin chamfer.
Image 2.jpg
Anonymous
Not applicable
The window appears to be insertin a chamfered frame rather than cutting the log wall itself. You could accomplish the latter (at least for the side chamfers) by making a slab in the correct size and shape an subtracting it form the wall.
Dwight
Newcomer
I have made a parametric object that does this using a complex array of WALLHOLE commands. Chamfer tilt is adjustable. Please contact me privately to see how it can be adapted to your needs.

The advantage to this element is that it is placed in the wall separate from the window, draws the chamfer in plan and masks the unions of the various bits.
Dwight Atkinson
Jacek
Contributor
Dwight,
will this 'Chamfer' work on all walls, or just log walls?
What I am interested in specifically are thick walls ( 12" -24" thick masonry -of various kind) with a recessed window to approximately the middle with a chamfer on the exterior.
Jacek
jacek lisiewicz
----------------------------------------------
arkhos-tekton, architects
carmichael, ca

Mac OS X 10.15.5
IMac Retina 5K, Intel Core I7
32 GIG Memory, AMD Radeon R9
ArchiCAD 24
Dwight
Newcomer
Since it is made only of a cutting form, it will work on any wall.
Dwight Atkinson
Jacek
Contributor
Dwight wrote:
Since it is made only of a cutting form, it will work on any wall.
-Then sign me up!
Jacek
jacek lisiewicz
----------------------------------------------
arkhos-tekton, architects
carmichael, ca

Mac OS X 10.15.5
IMac Retina 5K, Intel Core I7
32 GIG Memory, AMD Radeon R9
ArchiCAD 24
Dwight
Newcomer
Since Private Message seems unavailable right now,
if you'd like to get this object, please contact me at:

dwight_atkinson@telus.net

or call 604 266 7322
Dwight Atkinson
Dwight
Newcomer
Here I am, talking to myself, but I should clarify that for plain, unarticulated walls, there is an element in the library that already does this - W Splayed Reveal
Dwight Atkinson
Anonymous
Not applicable
Mwagner wrote:
I am attempting to represent a window in a log wall, with no trim on the exterior, just the window frame. The window would have a chamfer cut into the log wall, a bevel cut, basically. We are using Theometric's Door and Window Builder 3.5. When the cut is 90 degrees, it represents correctly, as indicated in the images following. When we introduce the chamfer, it inserts a paper thin cutting plane that we can not remove. Any thoughts or experiances with similar situations? We would like to see the chamfer, and the rounded log ends............

From your image we notice you are using our reveal chamfer option which does put a thin skin down. We simply had not envisaged it used on the log profile!
If you could email me a module of the wall with your window with chamfer option we will see if we can implement this for you in the future.
Please email to theo@theometric.co.nz

Regards, Theo
Learn and get certified!