Modeling
About Archicad's design tools, element connections, modeling concepts, etc.

Complex profiles clunky

Anonymous
Not applicable
Is it just me, or is anyone else finding complex profiles for walls in AC22 a bit clunky and hard to work with?

I have set up several profiles for walls - brick, cavity, timber frame, plasterboard, with the plasterboard allocated to be a finish rather than core for example.Problem is, when I change the hight of the wall, I have to change the height of the plasterboard skin separately.

I can really see the value in. being able to modify wall skins separately - bricks on slab set-downs, cladding past floor framing etc, but am trying to work out whether that outweighs the extra time and fiddling about with the walls for general use.

Another issue is when I use a complex profile for a wall and later decide to change that using the eyedropper to impart properties of a different complex profile, the wall loses all its height settings and uses the default settings of the new complex profile instead. I can understand that would be the case skins are modified (eg exterior cladding set-down), but not for the basic height of the wall.

Maybe its the way I have set up the complex profiles?? Thoughts??
10 REPLIES 10
Lingwisyer
Guru
I was just thinking that I find this annoying as well, but decided that since I have not looked at the Element Transfer Settings for a while, that the answer might be there. There is now a Profile Offset Modifier option there which appears to be off by default, in my template anyway.

Edit => Element Settings => Element Transfer Settings

Ling.

AC22-23 AUS 7000Help Those Help You - Add a Signature
Self-taught, bend it till it breaksCreating a Thread
Win10 | R5 2600 | 16GB | GTX1660 
James B
Graphisoft
Graphisoft
Metroworks wrote:
...Problem is, when I change the hight of the wall, I have to change the height of the plasterboard skin separately. ..
Hi, can you post an image of how your Modifiers are set up? You can assign the top edge of the plaster to be linked to the top of the other skins so will stretch when you adjust the Wall height, and still allow to set a custom offset from the top of the Wall.
James Badcock
Graphisoft Senior Product Manager
Anonymous
Not applicable
Screen grab of the modifiers for one of my profiles attached.
Lingwisyer
Guru
I believe James is wanting to see the Profile Manager so that we can see how you have set the modifiers up. Where they anchor and where they link.

Ling.

James B
Graphisoft
Graphisoft
Ling is right, to see the edge that has the modifier assigned and where it is connected to.
From the list, I don’t see a modifier to set the height of the plasterboard though. Only for tiling and exterior.

Thanks.
James Badcock
Graphisoft Senior Product Manager
Szabolcs Miko
Graphisoft
Graphisoft
Hi! Did you try according to this article?
https://helpcenter.graphisoft.com/knowledgebase/83614/

Szabolcs Mikó

Education Program Manager

Anonymous
Not applicable
Apologies James B - misunderstood your request. I've now attached a screen grab of a complex profile that I find "clunky". It is a timber stud wall with plasterboard on the inside face and porcelain tile on battens for the external cladding.

I have linked the batten cavity and porcelain cladding as the exterior skin height, but if I build the wall in the model - setting the wall hight to 3m high - the exterior cladding only shows at 0.5m high (the nominal height of the complex profile) until I go into the model and change the exterior skin height of all the walls.

Also, I find that if I override (using the symbol that looks like) the interior surface of the wall, it actually overrides the exterior and interior surface (as if I had the surfaces linked). Although I can override the ends surface, I can't override the interior and exterior faces of the wall independently. The workaround I have been using is to create yet another complex profile for the wall using different materials.
Lingwisyer
Guru
Metroworks wrote:
Also, I find that if I override (using the symbol that looks like) the interior surface of the wall, it actually overrides the exterior and interior surface (as if I had the surfaces linked). Although I can override the ends surface, I can't override the interior and exterior faces of the wall independently. The workaround I have been using is to create yet another complex profile for the wall using different materials.

That is one down side of using Complex Profiles. Your override settings become Face and Extrusion, there is no definition of internal and external. One workaround some people have done is to model multiple skins for each of the surface options and just set all but the desired skin to zero thickness.

Ling.

Barry Kelly
Metroworks wrote:
I have linked the batten cavity and porcelain cladding as the exterior skin height, but if I build the wall in the model - setting the wall hight to 3m high - the exterior cladding only shows at 0.5m high (the nominal height of the complex profile) until I go into the model and change the exterior skin height of all the walls.
You have linked them to the base of the wall so that is why they stay 500mm from the base when you make the wall higher.
You need to link then to the top of the wall (with a zero default offset) so they will move with the top of the wall when you change its height.
Just as you have done for the exterior skin setdown, but it will be from the top.
You can just drag the anchor point (round circle).

Barry.
One of the forum moderators.
Versions 6.5 to 27
Dell XPS- i7-6700 @ 3.4Ghz, 16GB ram, GeForce GTX 960 (2GB), Windows 10
Lenovo Thinkpad - i7-1270P 2.20 GHz, 32GB RAM, Nvidia T550, Windows 11