Project data & BIM
About BIM-based management of attributes, schedules, templates, favorites, hotlinks, projects in general, quality assurance, etc.

Creating some presets for template

Anonymous
Not applicable
I'm trying to enhance our office start-up template and have run into difficulty on a couple of items:

1. I have several view sets in AC and I would like to have a particular one as the default at start-up - I thought the list was organized aphabetically, so I put a space in front of the desired view set title, but I had no luck. Anyone know how to organize the view sets? Is it by order of creation and can never change (that would be bad)?

2. Similarly, is there a way to change the order of Masters in PM?

3. We have large monitors in our office and I would like the 'Layers' dialogue box, among others, to remain stretched to fit the screen; however when I go back to access it, it has shrunk back to it's default size - about half the screen height. Anyone know of a fix?

Nit picky things yes, but combined with other little start-up defaults, can minimize mistakes and maximize efficiency.

--
G5/1.5gig RAM/OS 10.3.4/AC 8.1 (2284)/PM 3.1
7 REPLIES 7
Link
Graphisoft Partner
Graphisoft Partner
1. You should be able to drag them in the Navigator - In the viewsets that is, not in the Project Map.

2. You need to create new ones in order, and delete the old ones. Kinda cumbersome, but it can be done.

3. This is a bug - and will be fixed in the future.

Cheers,
Link.
Anonymous
Not applicable
I guess I should clarify question 1: I'm referring to the titles of the views, for example "concept set," "permit set" etc. I seem to be unable to change their order even by adding a 'space' in front of the word so AC thinks it comes first alphabetically.

--
Thanks,
Greg
View sets can't be reordered, as Link described. You must create them in the order you want them listed. True story: I just did this for my templates today!

Folders within sets can be dragged around. Views can be reordered as long as they're not part of a clone.

PS, it's not nit-picky. Well-crafted templates save lots of time and errors.

PPS, The jumpy layer dialog is a bug.
James Murray

Archicad 25 • Rill Architects • macOS • OnLand.info
Link
Graphisoft Partner
Graphisoft Partner
True story: I just did this for my templates today!
James, tell me you simply copied & pasted the existing masters to duplicate them in order, then used Trees By Masters to reassign them?
I guess I should clarify question 1: I'm referring to the titles of the views, for example "concept set," "permit set" etc. I seem to be unable to change their order even by adding a 'space' in front of the word so AC thinks it comes first alphabetically.
Gregory, if you are referring to subsets, they can be dragged around willy nilly! The only exception is that you can't drag a folder below a folder that is expanded. This is a bug. It may serve you better to un-expand(?) your subsets before trying to drag them within the Navigator. Apart from that, it is very much like dragging folders around in your OS. You can even right click /ctrl click to drag copies.

Cheers,
Link.
Anonymous
Not applicable
Gregory, if you are referring to subsets, they can be dragged around willy nilly!
Hi Link,

Actually, I'm referring to the view set title that appears above the views in the navigator. When clicked on, one can add a 'New View Set...' for example. I am interested in the ability to change the order of those view sets. So my 'Concept Set' shows by default when I open my concepts files , and then I can change it so that my 'Permit Set' shows by default when I'm working on permit drawings. You'd be amazed at how many mistakes have been made when drawings have to go out the door fast - I open my AC file and 'Committee of Adjustments' view set opens as a default - drawings get quickly printed at the wrong scale or have the wrong information etc.
Link wrote:
James, tell me you simply copied & pasted the existing masters to duplicate them in order, then used Trees By Masters to reassign them?
No, I'm talking about the AC view sets. I only use a handful of masters, so they've never bothered me much.
James Murray

Archicad 25 • Rill Architects • macOS • OnLand.info
Link
Graphisoft Partner
Graphisoft Partner
OH! We need to invest in a screenshot next time methinks!

Okay - so here's how it works, and don't ask me why, but you're not the first one to run into this:

ArchiCAD lists these viewsets alphabetically.
PlotMaker lists these viewsets in order of creation.

If you really want to order them in PlotMaker, you will need to duplicate them in ArchiCAD in the order that you want them to appear in PlotMaker. Then you'll have to delete the originals, and rename the copies to their orginal name. This way they have the correct order in both programs.

Just like you did for the Masters!

Clear as mud?

Cheers,
Link.