BIM Coordinator Program (INT) April 22, 2024

Find the next step in your career as a Graphisoft Certified BIM Coordinator!

Modeling
About Archicad's design tools, element connections, modeling concepts, etc.
SOLVED!

Curving an object in two different planes

mthd
Ace

Hi, we had this question come up in the Chief Architect forum a few months ago. It certainly wasn’t an easy solution and it required an extensive work around in that program when the person asked for the arch molding in the picture to be curved around a radius wall. Although we can put a curved window into a curved wall with a double arch with a molding in Chief Architect, it was a difficult work around to achieve what this person was asking. 

I gave this person a private message and a link to a video from an accomplished user of Archicad who was doing a similar task with the morph tool in creating custom molding.

Here is the link to the excellent video and awesome method by MCJdesigns, showing the morph tool being used to create a custom curved window with moldings and other classical treatments. He would definitely have no problems in creating this complex building.

https://youtu.be/qnP-AWu9P4E

I know this house can be modelled in Archicad with less complications than Chief Architect but can anyone point me to a simpler solution than the one provided in the video or would we just have to follow the same procedure ?

The question is below:

“I need some help. I need to curve an object in two different planes. Is that possible in Chief Architect? I need to put and arch in a solid and then curve that solid around a curved wall. The circled object is what I need to curve along a curved wall, it already has an arch.”

976706C3-8D88-48BE-93F7-8DD0476DC70A.jpeg

AC8.1 - AC27 ARM AUS + CI Tools
Apple Mac Studio M1 Max Chip 10C CPU
24C GPU 7.8TF 32GB RAM OS Ventura
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Solution
Hmooslechner
Rockstar

Because its interesting - 

AC5.5-AC27EduAut, PC-Win10, MacbookAirM1, MacbookM1Max, Win-I7+Nvidia

View solution in original post

13 REPLIES 13
Barry Kelly

@mthd wrote:

“I need some help. I need to curve an object in two different planes. Is that possible in Chief Architect?

So are you asking how to do this in Chief Architect or Archicad?

Was that just a typo?

If Chief Architect, you are in the wrong forum.

Barry.

One of the forum moderators.
Versions 6.5 to 27
Dell XPS- i7-6700 @ 3.4Ghz, 16GB ram, GeForce GTX 960 (2GB), Windows 10
Lenovo Thinkpad - i7-1270P 2.20 GHz, 32GB RAM, Nvidia T550, Windows 11
mthd
Ace

Hi Barry, the question was initially asked in the Chief forum but I am asking here now if there is an easier method in Archicad or not ?

That person above didn’t reply to my PM or found a solution with CA. I pointed him to the video above by MJCdesigns who uses Archicad in his video with the morph tool method. 

I have seen other Archicad users use the complex profiler tool but can we bend our complex profiles in two curved planes at once ?

Is there another method to extrude a complex profile in two curved planes with an add on ?

I am only used to simple Architecture but I want to learn how to model a building like that picture above with Archicad and not take too long.

If that makes sense ?

To curve an object in 2 directions, I can't see that that is possible, unless it is an object that can extrude along a path.

Certainly you can't just curve an existing object.

It needs to be scripted to allow for the curve.

This would be the same as tubing a morph plane in short segments along the curved path.

BarryKelly_0-1667280043054.png

Beams can now curve horizontally or vertically, but not both at the same time.

Barry.

Versions 6.5 to 27
DGSketcher
Legend

@mthd I don’t see a curved wall in the picture, there is probably a good reason - build ability. Placed on a corner I would expect that kind of feature to be on a 45 degree / chamfered wall.

Apple iMac Intel i9 / macOS Sonoma / AC27UKI (most recent builds.. if they work)
mthd
Ace

No the picture doesn’t show that but this person wanted to create a curved bay and place a curved decorated treatment on it with the arched molding on top of that.

I tried it in Chief Architect from what I learned from another user who could create the curved shape as above. I was able to do the same but I couldn’t put a molding on top of it that would bend in an arc with an arch shape in it.

The Archicad user in the video above is able to do something similar with morphs and I would say he would probably be able to do what this person was asking, I would hope ?

This is as far as I could get by copying this Chief Architect power user who made an excellent video to answer the first part of that question above.

Please see his video below for clarification on what were trying to do in CA.

https://youtu.be/vkR-LX_2o5s

Hi Barry, you saw the method used above in the video by MJCdesigns who uses Archicad ?

I think we can create that curved decorative shape with a molding on top in Archicad using morphs but it could take some time to get it to work ?

I must be crazy because I am going to give it a test in Archicad 24. I am just a basic user and only usually do rectangular houses or bay windows at 45 degree angles and that’s about it.

I will post my results here and if I run into any problems along the way.

PS: (I could not do it with Chief Architect X10 after trying several times.)

YouTube seems to be not working for me at work at the moment, so I could hear the video but not see it.

That image I posted was indeed a morph plane, tubed in short segments around the wall and arch.

Takes just a couple of minutes, the hardest part is creating the morph plane and rotating it to the correct location and orientation to start the tube process.

Unfortunately it is not easily editable if the path needs to be altered.

It is quicker to tube a new morph.

Barry.

Versions 6.5 to 27

I think the "maths" in the video is a bit rough. It isn't the curved wall plane that is the issue, it is the distortions of the arcs and the back face that should theoretically taper to the centre point of the wall radius.  You could spend a lot of time on this getting it right... Quick option... Morph profile extrusion intersecting with curved wall...

Screenshot 2022-11-01 at 10.08.05.png

Apple iMac Intel i9 / macOS Sonoma / AC27UKI (most recent builds.. if they work)
Solution
Hmooslechner
Rockstar

Because its interesting - 

AC5.5-AC27EduAut, PC-Win10, MacbookAirM1, MacbookM1Max, Win-I7+Nvidia
Learn and get certified!