Libraries & objects
About Archicad and BIMcloud libraries, their management and migration, objects and other library parts, etc.

Default parameters for objects/windows/doors

Anonymous
Not applicable
Where can I set the default parameters so that every time I insert objects they all come in w/ the same section fill, 2d pen.....?

Related question for Window builder ad on. Where can I set the default pen color of the marker text for instance.

I do use a company template file, not the Archicad defaults.

Thanks.
6 REPLIES 6
gerd
Newcomer
DHURD wrote:
Where can I set the default parameters so that every time I insert objects they all come in w/ the same section fill, 2d pen.....?....
normally the parameters you have inserted before saving the object will be set when you place the object
but you can also use trhe favourite functionmallity to save different settings for your objects

best regards, g
David Maudlin
Virtuoso
DHURD wrote:
Where can I set the default parameters so that every time I insert objects they all come in w/ the same section fill, 2d pen.....?
Thanks.

DHURD:

Select the library part(s) you want to change and go to File>GDL Objects>Open Object... Then for each object go to Window>LibPart Windows>Library Part to see its main window. Here you will see the parameter names and their default values. Change the parameter values to the defaults you want and then save the library parts. Changing the default values should not affect parts that have been placed.

HTH

David
David Maudlin / Architect
www.davidmaudlin.com
Digital Architecture
AC27 USA • iMac 27" 4.0GHz Quad-core i7 OSX11 | 24 gb ram • MacBook Pro M3 Pro | 36 gb ram OSX14
David wrote:
go to File>GDL Objects>Open Object...
For objects that require a lot of parameter setting, it typically makes sense to insert them into a 'toolkit module file' (say, a 'kitchen toolkit' pln with all your kitchen cabinets and equipment, a bathroom toolkit, a 2d drafting toolkit) some of which may be linked to your templates and some of which you may want to bring in only when you are working on a project type that will require their stuff ('trees and landscaping', 'cars', 'office equipment', 'residential doors and windows', whatever), and tweak them over there, or copypaste them into that file from some project where you've already tweaked them. On your new projects you then bring in the module and option-click+insert, or have them open on a second/third/fourth ArchiCAD session and copy-paste.

It is easy to find what you want, and the objects will also come on the right layer (even create it is not already there) and with their right user ID. And for standard ArchiCAD library objects, with the next library/program version/update you will not need to do your manual re-parametrization all over again. Most of the objects will just update, and only the typically few objects that have changed their parameter setup will require some typically minor re-tweaking (and then you can save your file as say 'windows AC 10').
TomWaltz
Participant
DHURD wrote:

Related question for Window builder ad on. Where can I set the default pen color of the marker text for instance.

I do use a company template file, not the Archicad defaults.
something I did for my company is place a module that is off to the side of the project, and kept on its own story. That story can be turned on as a ghost story.

In the module is a common "kit of parts" that people use often, with parameters already set. It works great, my staff love it, and we can add to is whenever we want, since it is a module.

The door/window "previews" are just linework to help tell one from another.
Template.jpg
Tom Waltz
TomWaltz
Participant
a larger view:
Tom Waltz
Anonymous
Not applicable
i understand how to set deafult parameters for gdl variables that ae created in an individual part. What about for an object I created that uses the lobal varibales for things like the fill, fill pen, fill background pen, etc. Is there a way to update the info pallette when the object is selected so some default values come up before the user changes them?

wes