BIM Coordinator Program (INT) April 22, 2024
Find the next step in your career as a Graphisoft Certified BIM Coordinator!
Libraries & objects
About Archicad and BIMcloud libraries, their management and migration, objects and other library parts, etc.

Door : real opening dimension

Anonymous
Not applicable
Hi everyone,
I have been trying to take-out the real width opening/free space of a door without success. Please see the attached image.

I have been able to "trick" it out with an expression but had to rely on the thickness of the what i believe is called jamb rather then the thickness of the panel itself. Why? because I could not find the thickness of the panel in the listing parameters available for expressions. If I had the thickness of the panel I could subtract it from a width that is listed by Archicad by default.

Problem is that the project manager doesn't like this solution because in this particular case the thickness of the panel corresponds to the thickness of the jamb but it might not always be this way.

I believe this free space dimension is so important that I am must be missing something and complicating it all. I did call my local Archicad hotline and they clearly stated that indeed is not possible to get this dimension out. Is it true?

Has anyone been able to get this data on to a door label?

Thank you in advance.
6 REPLIES 6
Barry Kelly
What door object are you using?
The 'Door 23' object seems to have this info - at least the AUS version does.

Barry.
One of the forum moderators.
Versions 6.5 to 27
Dell XPS- i7-6700 @ 3.4Ghz, 16GB ram, GeForce GTX 960 (2GB), Windows 10
Lenovo Thinkpad - i7-1270P 2.20 GHz, 32GB RAM, Nvidia T550, Windows 11
Anonymous
Not applicable
Hi,

It's Archicad's 23 standard library. That dimension does exist in the door options but I don't think you can call that parameter on to an expression.
vdentello
Advocate
afaria wrote:
Hi,

It's Archicad's 23 standard library. That dimension does exist in the door options but I don't think you can call that parameter on to an expression.
Yes, you're right. You can't pick it up on an expression, it's "standardized" parameter but it's a GDL parameter, which means it's not available through Properties. (That would be great if possible)
Archicad User Since 2013
GDL Developer
Experimenting with API
from Brazil
Anonymous
Not applicable
I agree: it would be nice.
We ended out creating a new property so the user can manually set the thickness of the panel. That property is then called on an expression.
A schedule has been created just to control the coherence between the door type / id with the thickness of the panel.

Thank you all for your inputs.
afaria wrote:
so the user can manually set
ouch!
So there is another option if you are willing to modify the object:
You will find the setting of the ac_egress_width parameter in the "GS Door Functions" macro.
So for anyone who is new to doing this the process is:
1. Extract the Archicad library so you can modify the objects - File > Libraries and Objects > Extract a Container. then locate the "ARCHICAD Library 23.lcf" in the "Graphisoft > Archicad 23" local folder. I put it on my desktop otherwise it will extract to the same location as the LCF and you will end up loading the library twice.
2. select the object in Archicad you want to modify and open: ctrl+shft+o
3. there will be very little GDL code in this object. go to the master script and do a search for "call", you may see it right there in the first couple of lines. This is calling a macro that contains most of the functions.
4. select the name of this macro with your cursor and again click ctrl+shft+o and the macro will open. its pretty cool you can open macros straight from the code they are called in.
5. this macro is probably the "gs_general_lt_door", so now go to the parameter script of this object and once again search for "call" to find the "GS Door Functions" macro.
6. once again select this name with your cursor and press ctrl+shft+o to open this macro.
7. now go to the parameter script where you will see the equations controlling the "Egress Width" (ac_egress_width) value. search for "ac_egress_width" and then also determine where the variables used in it are set, such as "leafDLeft" set on line 14 of the Parameter script of the "GS Door Functions" macro.

Just as a warning: there are several other values that are determined by the ac_egress_width including the door panel width in this piece of code at line 1215

if not(gs_pocket) then
			ac_leaf_width	= ac_egress_width	+ leafDLeft		+ leafDRight
		else
			if ac_leaf_width - ac_egress_width < 0 then
				ac_leaf_width	= ac_egress_width
			else
				if ac_leaf_width - 2 * ac_egress_width > 0 then
					ac_leaf_width	= 2 * ac_egress_width
				else
					ac_leaf_width	= ac_leaf_width
				endif
			endif
		endif
So that's it, easy to access to set your own rules as to what affects the egress value, but beware of what else is affected by your changes; you can cuase big problems if you don't know the full ramifications of your actions (that's a life lesson given by GDL).

or an easy method is to subscribe to my door tool, Infinite Openings: https://cadswift.com.au/products/Infnite-Openings.html
where the actual egress with consideration for the opening panels interference is given (for all opening types, hinged and sliding). We have even considered the precise affect for a door that open beyond 90 degrees, calculating the actual cosine of the door thickness at the given angle which is often closer to 120 than 90 (don't actually know many that stop at 90).

If you are relying of manual input you are leaving yourself open to user error and also forcing users to waste time performing and cross checking their work.
Creator of Cadswift's parametric GDL libraries
Creator of Infinite Openings and Component Catalogues
Push the envelope & watch it bend
YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/user/CADSwift/playlists
Anonymous
Not applicable
Thank you for your feedback. I agree that automatically would be better.

I will read it again carefully, however my first impression is that doing it manually is less troublesome. The doors ID's can have a correlation with the thickness of the panel so we will be able to control and set the values really fast on a schedule.

I have very limited practice with GDL, almost zero. I would have hundreds of questions. We don't change objects from the Archicad library for several reasons. I wonder: what happens if we make a change it will automatically be reproduced on every computer as the libraries are locally saved? On a teamwork projet this would change for all the projets using that library, perhaps changing things that others don't want to have changed ?

So, I am not quite sure what to do from a first reading. I am not sure I understood it. I might read it again and give it a second thought.
I have come across your products before here or youtube, not sure. Again we tend not to use third party objects, with a few exceptions.

Thank you very much for your feedback and I'll let you know if we decide differently from manually setting the thickness.
Learn and get certified!