BIM Coordinator Program (INT) April 22, 2024

Find the next step in your career as a Graphisoft Certified BIM Coordinator!

Modeling
About Archicad's design tools, element connections, modeling concepts, etc.

Door threshold credibility gap

Anonymous
Not applicable
Let me first explain how this project is set up;

Finished floor level is set at '0'. Slabs of 15mm thickness are used to create various floor coverings such as wood, carpet etc. In 2D 'cover fills' generate our floor finishes drawing, and in 3D we get an accurate visual representation of floor finishes from room to room using this method.
Another slab is used for an entire floor area to indicate a structural slab in section. The top of the structural slab is set at -15mm.
The walls are set at -15mm up to ceiling height. This however means that when you place a door, I get this problem of not being able to 'see' my floor coverings meeting in the doorway. Why?
Lifting the door up to +15mm means I can see wall. Am I meant to be using this combination of elements in a different way to eliminate this problem?

This is in AC18. Thanks in advance.

Threshold_1.jpg
32 REPLIES 32
Anonymous
Not applicable
Second picture without floor covering selected.
Threshold_2.jpg
DGSketcher
Legend
I don't have access to my AC just now. Just a thought can you modify the threshold element of the door component and match your finishes? It may require the door opening size to be increased, which could affect schedules. Can be a catch-22 some of these problems.

Other option if door dimensions are critical would be to create a threshold slab and SEO subtract it from the wall.
Apple iMac Intel i9 / macOS Sonoma / AC27UKI (most recent builds.. if they work)
David Maudlin
Virtuoso
dan_g:

I cannot tell from your screen shots: does the floor coverings Slab go into the door opening, under the Wall, or stop at the face of Wall. Also check the Building Material's Intersection Priority of the Wall and floor coverings Slab, the Wall may be cutting the Slab.

You should add a Signature to your Profile (click the Profile button near the top of this page) with your ArchiCAD version and operating system (see mine for an example) for more accurate help in this forum.

David
David Maudlin / Architect
www.davidmaudlin.com
Digital Architecture
AC27 USA • iMac 27" 4.0GHz Quad-core i7 OSX11 | 24 gb ram • MacBook Pro M3 Pro | 36 gb ram OSX14
Laszlo Nagy
Community Admin
Community Admin
Try to increase the Intersection Priority number of the Building Material of the Floor Covering Slab so it is stronger than that of the Wall. Right now Wall skins are stronger than that at the threshold, this is why you see that and not the Slab.
Loving Archicad since 1995 - Find Archicad Tips at x.com/laszlonagy
AMD Ryzen9 5900X CPU, 64 GB RAM 3600 MHz, Nvidia GTX 1060 6GB, 500 GB NVMe SSD
2x28" (2560x1440), Windows 10 PRO ENG, Ac20-Ac27
Why do you use 2 slabs (one for finish and another one for structure)?
Is there a problem with composites?
arch. ernest atanasiu
AC 10-26 INT/GER/FR on Win 10/ Win 11
alemanda
Advocate
I always model my building as dan_g did.
I think it is the more correct way to do BIM, at least when you have to manage all the disciplines (structures, block works, finishings, etc). So we model our project according the way it is built.
So we model a slab for structural purpose, and slabs for floor finishings. The same for block works and wall finishings.
Usually we model the thresholds. In fact We put the door at 10cm above the structural slab and increase the hole of the door downward so that we need to model the threshold. This helps us also for quantity take off. We don't use the thresholds included in the doors
AC 19 and AC21 latest hotfix
Win 10 Pro 64bit
Double XEON 14 CORES (tot 28 physical cores)
32GB RAM - SSD 256GB - Nvidia Quadro K620
Display DELL 25'' 2560x1440
www.almadw.it
It's true that you should model the way it's built, but there is no reason why you shouldn't use the composites. Two slabs on top of each other must be a pita to model / modify / update. The same with wall finishings. How do you insert a window or a door in multiple walls?

http://helpcenter.graphisoft.com/guides/archicad-18-int-reference-guide/configuration/attributes/com...
arch. ernest atanasiu
AC 10-26 INT/GER/FR on Win 10/ Win 11
Anonymous
Not applicable
Why not have the Structural slab at 0 elevation, with the base of walls at 0, and thin finishes slabs above that? Undercut doors by 20mm and take finishes into openings, as it would be done in reality.
alemanda
Advocate
uisanata wrote:
It's true that you should model the way it's built, but there is no reason why you shouldn't use the composites. Two slabs on top of each other must be a pita to model / modify / update. The same with wall finishings. How do you insert a window or a door in multiple walls?
Reality is usually much more complicated than composites possibilities.

Multiple walls = multiple doors. For example when we model stone cladding we insert a door in the block work and an empty door(I mean just the hole)in the cladding (which isusually done with a double wall parallel to the main block work wall)

In this way we can control the model in a perfect way. Of course we have an addintional amount of work. But usually we do this when we have to produce construction drawings.
AC 19 and AC21 latest hotfix
Win 10 Pro 64bit
Double XEON 14 CORES (tot 28 physical cores)
32GB RAM - SSD 256GB - Nvidia Quadro K620
Display DELL 25'' 2560x1440
www.almadw.it
Learn and get certified!