Modeling
About Archicad's design tools, element connections, modeling concepts, etc.

Folded roof/ sloped wall

Anonymous
Not applicable
Hi
Can someone please tell me the best way of modelling this form (images attached). I am trying to achieve a clean folded junction from a roof (sloped on 2 planes) to a sloping wall.
The wall is on an 80 degree slope, and the top of it is not horizontal. Both ends of the wall are angled down from roof to ground level. The roof is angled on 2 planes.

The method I have used so far hasn't worked well. The steps I have taken are as follows:

1. I Created the wall on an 80 degree slope
2. I Created the 2 planed roof
3. I Trimmed the wall to the roof (the roof had to be oversized to trim the sloped wall, otherwise it wouldn't trim properly
4. I resized the roof to try to snap to the top edges of the wall. I had trouble doing this, because there was no snap point on the top of the trimmed wall at its lowest end. Messy
5. To angle the walls at boths ends, I modelled a solid at each end of the wall, used solid element operations, and then put them on an invisible SEO layer. This was also messy.

Any suggestions about how to do this in a better way, so that the wall and roof can be snapped to each other, creating a clean fold. Should I be using complex profiles? Is there a way to snap to the top of trimmed walls (not just the highest point of a trimmed wall)?
Cheers

Steps taken .jpg
17 REPLIES 17
Thomas Holm
Booster
Instead of Trim, the roof-wall junction would probably be easier to clean using SEO (solid element operation) there too. First, make a copy of the roof , raise it exactly it's thickness, and put it on the hidden layer. Then, set the wall height so it goes higher than the (original) roof. SEO subtract with upwards extrusion with the wall as operator and the roof as target. Then unhide the roof copy, and SEO with the roof copy as operator and the wall as target. Then hide the roof copy again.

If you want the roof to overlap instead use a copy of the wall as hidden SEO operator like above.

Your solids look interesting. Was the messiness from creating them? You could have used two sloping walls or roofs as operators instead. Much easier.
AC4.1-AC26SWE; MacOS13.5.1; MP5,1+MBP16,1
Dwight
Newcomer
If you aren't poking any holes in the roof part, then make the entire section a complex profile, but no architect would make a detail like that.

Always have a lip of some kind so water drips clear of the lower wall - easily added to your complex profile.

If not, the grime accumulating on the roof will wash down and streak the wall in no time.
Dwight Atkinson
Anonymous
Not applicable
How would I use a complex profile in this situation? The shape that I am trying to make isn't just an extrusion of a 2d profile; the roof is sloped on 2 planes, and the wall is not horizontal at the top.
Am I missing something?
Cheers
Thomas Holm
Booster
Olivia wrote:
How would I use a complex profile in this situation? The shape that I am trying to make isn't just an extrusion of a 2d profile; the roof is sloped on 2 planes, and the wall is not horizontal at the top.
Am I missing something?
Cheers
It's not easy to see those shapes from your pictures. Still, I think my suggestions will work.
Anonymous
Not applicable
Thanks Thomas, it worked 🙂
Dwight
Newcomer
Can we please see the result?
Dwight Atkinson
Anonymous
Not applicable
sure.
folded form.jpg
Thomas Holm
Booster
Very nice! Thanks!
Anonymous
Not applicable
back again.
The 'subtracted' areas still seem to be showing up in plan view. All works well in 3d and section though. Is there a way to make it work in plan as well?
Thanks