Libraries & objects
About Archicad and BIMcloud libraries, their management and migration, objects and other library parts, etc.

Get the Modular Joinery object!

Thomas Holm
Booster
I'd just like to push this http://archicad-talk.graphisoft.com/viewtopic.php?p=135321#135321
a little more.

Ralph Wessel has created a hugely flexible window/door/panel/storefront/curtain wall GDL object, called Modular Joinery. It was commissioned by Graphisoft U K and is distributed to their Archicad subscribers, and for similar purpose to other distributors.

I've been using it for a week or so now, and I find it extraordinarily good, and something I've been wishing to have for a long time. Not only is the object itself working very well, it also has a new, simple yet very creative and useful UI (user interface), and also comes with a 22-page user manual!

If you have an Archicad subscription, immediately ask your distributor to supply you with this GDL object, and if he/she doesn't have it, to get it from Graphisoft U.K.!

I'd also like to send my sincere thanks to Graphisoft U K who've had the wit to engage one of the most distinguished GDL programmers for this task, and to share it with the user community this way. And of course, to Ralph!
AC4.1-AC26SWE; MacOS13.5.1; MP5,1+MBP16,1
145 REPLIES 145
Anonymous
Not applicable
Tom,
How does it compare with CadImage Window & Door Builder?
Thanks,
Joseph
Dennis Lee
Booster
Is this object free for people on subscription?
ArchiCAD 25 & 24 USA
Windows 10 x64
Since ArchiCAD 9
Brett Brown
Advocate
Hi Thomas, Perhaps you or someone else could post the manual so the world can have a look for themselves. Or could Ralph put it on his website.
Imac, Big Sur AC 20 NZ, AC 25 Solo UKI,
Anonymous
Not applicable
Very Impressive, even though I only do residential work.
First look, looks adaptable for residential.

Hey G.S. USA, are you gonna let the UK GS make you look inept?
Hell no you say, we are going to hire Ralph for the most awesome stair
tool that every raves about! Right?
Now that could be a Revit slayer!!!
You goooo, USA G.S.!
Bier
Thomas Holm
Booster
To clear some things up:

As I wrote, the object is not free. Graphisoft UK has all the rights to it. It is distributed by Graphisoft UK among their Archicad subscribers, and made available to other Graphisoft distributors to do the same. If you want it, and have a subscription, contact your distributor. If not, not. I will not post it nor its manual.

This object does some things (check the image, it shows what it can do) that I've had a hard time to achieve with Archicad's standard windows and doors. I mostly do residential work too. For example, I frequently prescribe the Danish Velfac windows, and I've never before been able to mimic their special geometry and modular nature fully. (It's been either 3D or 2D, either elevation or plan, always one pane at a time, never all at once). And of course the object can do a lot more, it's not limited to Velfac. You can define other (your own) presets if you like.

But, this object is not a universal replacement for all standard windows and doors. You will still need (some of) them. So it's not a replacement for Cadimage's Window Builder. And not for the Curtain Wall tool either.

I like it not just because it works well. I also like it because of its simple yet sophisticated user interface. I think some other GDL programmers have things to learn here, since this is done in pure GDL and not with an API that has to be updated for every new Archicad release. It's also "dynamically resizing" which according to Ralph means that despite its capabilities, it will (for small sizes) redraw faster than a similar standard Casement window!

That's all. Check it out for yourself, get an Archicad subscription!

(And please note: I will not answer any more questions about this. Ask your distributor!)
Thomas Holm
Booster
I'd just like to push this Modular Joinery window/door object by Ralph Wessel once more, since I've now been able to test it thoroughly by using it as the only window object in a 22 apartment condo project. It loads and redraws faster and works with less problems than the standard library windows I used before in this project. It's very flexible and configurable, yet pure GDL. No add-ons. It covers most of my window needs, and I've found no bugs!

I can only thank Ralph and GS UK for sharing this with us. If you have an ongoing Archicad 12 subscription, I recommend you contact your reseller to get it, because GS UK has made it available for resellers everywhere.
Brett Brown
Advocate
Thomas, How do you get anything that is not modular? ie not equal numbers top and bottom or left and right. For example, A full width single pane fixed across the bottom with 3 panes top hung across the top? Am I right that the tab to try and get this or any configuration is the "Detailed Specification"?
Ralph Wessel
Mentor
Brett wrote:
Thomas, How do you get anything that is not modular? ie not equal numbers top and bottom or left and right. For example, A full width single pane fixed across the bottom with 3 panes top hung across the top? Am I right that the tab to try and get this or any configuration is the "Detailed Specification"?
I may as well chip in at this point. The object is modular in the sense that a wide variety of window/door/panel components can be plugged into a single unit in almost any configuration you please (including a mixture of frame types, materials, and glazing).

I've attached some images to illustrate how to construct the window you specified:
  • 1) As you suggested, the Detailed Specification panel should be selected. This displays a preview of the joinery layout, where you might start by specifying the bounding window size.
    2) I then lock the width and height of the frame to stop it resizing as I insert frames within it. We want 2 different configurations in this window - 1 window below and 3 above, so the frame is set to 2 rows down
    3) The cell above should be a frame of 3 windows across, so I click on the the top cell, set it to a 'Frame', and specify 3 columns across
    4) I can then switch to 'Overview' to see all the windows in the joinery layout, select a window in the top row, and set it to 'Top Hung'.
    5) The 3D view shows the result at this point
    6) It is difficult to convey just how flexible this object is, because you arrange frames within frame within frames, etc... to arrive at almost any layout. Each cell within the layout can be individually selected and specified
It is very simple to use in practice because it works on the basis of a very small subset of defaults which you can choose to override if you wish to. The UI always minimises the number of visible choice to keep the object fast and simple to use. As Thomas noted: this is pure GDL, the object redraws very quickly, and the object only allocates the minimum resources required to construct the object you specify.
Ralph Wessel BArch
Brett Brown
Advocate
Thanks Ralph that explains it. What about stepped sides and sloping top and bottoms(to follow roof pitchs for example)?

Didn't find the answer?

Check other topics in this Forum

Back to Forum

Read the latest accepted solutions!

Accepted Solutions

Start a new conversation!