BIM Coordinator Program (INT) April 22, 2024

Find the next step in your career as a Graphisoft Certified BIM Coordinator!

Modeling
About Archicad's design tools, element connections, modeling concepts, etc.

Groin Vault Trouble

Anonymous
Not applicable
Hello,

I'm trying to create groin vaults using the roof tool. I cannot cut/trim the roofs to each other. I'm using the Cntrl click function. The roofs are also not round but segmented. Also I tried using shells and could not trim/cut them either. Thanks in advance for your help.
10 REPLIES 10
Anonymous
Not applicable
Please see this thread.
http://archicad-talk.graphisoft.com/viewtopic.php?p=87576&highlight=barrel+vault#87576
It explains several methods of making intersecting barrel vaults
which form a groin vault.
Peter Devlin
Anonymous
Not applicable
Thanks Peter - I got it! How do you get the vaults to look smooth? My vaults are very segmented. Thanks again for your help.
Anonymous
Not applicable
Hello Chris,
If you use the roof tool you will always get a non-smooth surface.
If you create a complex profile wall in the shape of a half vault
it will appear smooth like Matthew's groin vault as shown in the
thread I referred to. Notice that Matthew's vault has a joint line
at the underside at the top. If you make a complex profile the
shape of a full vault (180º) two vaults do not intersect correctly.
At least I can't get them too but I can get half vaults to intersect.
See image below.
Peter Devlin
Anonymous
Not applicable
Dear Peter,

Thanks for the tip - I cannot seem to find the directions for creating complex profiled or profiled walls in the book or in Archihelp. I've only used regular walls in the past. Is there another name for them? Thanks again for your time.
Anonymous
Not applicable
mm..chris u r using AC9?

if so..i am afraid that u cant use custom profiles walls !! its a feature of AC10!!

and i tried to do it with roof tool..its was a real pain in the a$$ .. and i couldnt manage to do it..for sure u've checked the library part for vaults and its not good enough for u...?

if so.. u have to work on the roof tool... or profiler? if it could do some help with solid element operation?
Anonymous
Not applicable
Hello Chris,
I am sorry, my error. I did not notice that you are using AC 9.
Complex Profiles exist only in AC 10.
You could use the shell object or Profiler and use SEO to make the
miter cuts.
Peter Devlin
Anonymous
Not applicable
Using the shell objects, you can also use the Polygon Marquee following lines at the mitres, view the marqueed vault in 3D from above, and save as an object. Join these objects together and you have perfect mitred joints.

I think I saw this explained in AC8.1 help files, maybe 9, but it doesn't appear to be included in AC10 help.
Anonymous
Not applicable
s2art wrote:
Using the shell objects, you can also use the Polygon Marquee following lines at the mitres, view the marqueed vault in 3D from above, and save as an object. Join these objects together and you have perfect mitred joints.

I think I saw this explained in AC8.1 help files, maybe 9, but it doesn't appear to be included in AC10 help.

and i tried to do that with roof tool?

i couldn't!!

using cmnd+click.. start having an EXTREMELY strange shapes!!

glad that i can use complex profiles
Anonymous
Not applicable

it is explained in "Introduction to Object Making" from David Nicholson-Cole using "Wall". But like it has been said you can use "The Profiler !" instead
cheers
Jean-Luc
Learn and get certified!