BIM Coordinator Program (INT) April 22, 2024
Find the next step in your career as a Graphisoft Certified BIM Coordinator!
Modeling
About Archicad's design tools, element connections, modeling concepts, etc.

Help! Modify the walls together!

Anonymous
Not applicable
Is there anything that I could change only one wall, the other walls would change together. Such as I change the color of cut fill of one wall. The other walls with same wall ID would be changed also.

I tried to group the walls, but fail to achieve my goal. Please show me the tricks. Thank you!
6 REPLIES 6
David Maudlin
Virtuoso
Kent wrote:
I tried to group the walls, but fail to achieve my goal.
If the walls are grouped then make sure that Suspend Groups is not enabled. When items are grouped, then selecting one of the group will select the entire group, unless Suspend Groups is on (for editing elements within a group).

David
David Maudlin / Architect
www.davidmaudlin.com
Digital Architecture
AC27 USA • iMac 27" 4.0GHz Quad-core i7 OSX11 | 24 gb ram • MacBook Pro M3 Pro | 36 gb ram OSX14
Anonymous
Not applicable
It sounds like you want to change one instance of a wall type and have all instances of that type change as a result. This is not possible as stated but there are many ways to achieve what you want.

To change individual wall properties requires selecting all the walls you wish to change and editing their settings in the info palette or settings dialog. You can do this with Find & Select to quickly select all instances on a story in plan view or in the project as a whole in 3D.

IDs are simple text tags and have no affect on the properties of the parts but they can be used in Find & Select or in an Interactive Schedule to isolate and edit elements with the same ID.

One global change you can make is in the composite structure settings. Here you can change the sizes, colors and fills of the skins used to define the composites and these will affect all instances. This will also change the pens and colors used unless they are overridden in the settings for the individual instances.
Anonymous
Not applicable
If you are using a composite structure for walls, then changing the settings of the composite will update all walls of that type to the new settings (pen thicknesses, cut fill/colour, leaf thicknesses etc.).

If you are using complex profiles, you can also adjust the surface materials and fills of all walls of that type by adjusting the profile description.

You could set up a set of standard wall types as composites or complex profiles and use these to get thr functionality you want (even for 'simple' walls where you might usually just use vectorial or symbol fill type).
Anonymous
Not applicable
...in other words, what Matthew said.
Barry Kelly
kombibob wrote:
...in other words, what Matthew said.
Kombibob has been listening to Yogi Berra too much.
He made a Boo Boo

Sorry I couldn't resist that one.
Barry.
One of the forum moderators.
Versions 6.5 to 27
Dell XPS- i7-6700 @ 3.4Ghz, 16GB ram, GeForce GTX 960 (2GB), Windows 10
Lenovo Thinkpad - i7-1270P 2.20 GHz, 32GB RAM, Nvidia T550, Windows 11
Anonymous
Not applicable
Matthew wrote:
It sounds like you want to change one instance of a wall type and have all instances of that type change as a result. This is not possible as stated but there are many ways to achieve what you want.
When I switched from Revit to ArchiCAD I didn't know that ArchiCAD doesn't support this simple thing. It is quite common in Revit to design the whole structure, without putting much effort on the structural spec of the objects. So you name them for example as "int wall paint paint", "int wall paint ceramic", "int wall cer cer" etc and let the other team members decide later which kind of material or thickness the wall has to have.

DO I really have to use the ACME "find & select" option in ArchiCAD to modify all the walls created as instances of a favorite wall settings?

If you decide to paint the walls differently when you are done with the whole structure then how?

Thanks for any help...
Learn and get certified!