BIM Coordinator Program (INT) April 22, 2024
Find the next step in your career as a Graphisoft Certified BIM Coordinator!
Modeling
About Archicad's design tools, element connections, modeling concepts, etc.

Honeycomb Wall

Anonymous
Not applicable
I need to build a "honeycomb" wall, but have no idea how to build it in ArchiCad. The attach render has been made in Revit.
18 REPLIES 18
Dwight
Newcomer
The solution: Complex Profile!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Draw a complex profile fill corresponding exactly to the elevational view you desire.

Create a complex profile wall and draw it PERPENDICULAR to the facade direction.

Viola.
Dwight Atkinson
JaredBanks
Mentor
Or draw the wall normally. Make a complex profile corresponding to the hole pattern (this could be initially drawn with fills on the elevation and then copied into the complex profile manager). Use that as the operator in a SEO to cut the holes out. This way the original wall has it's reference line along it's length and can receive doors, windows, etc. like any other wall.

OR...

if there's an empty window in ArchiCAD that is the right shape (which would be very easy to make without any GDL knowledge; there's a great tutorial somewhere on the forum that I've used), you could add lots of empty windows to a regular wall. Then they'd show up nicely in plan. Though that might be insanely cumbersome in this case with so many holes.

Lots of options.
Jared Banks, AIA
Shoegnome Architects

Archicad Blog: www.shoegnome.com
Archicad Template: www.shoegnome.com/template/
Archicad Work Environment: www.shoegnome.com/work-environment/
Archicad Tutorial Videos: www.youtube.com/shoegnome
Anonymous
Not applicable
JaredBanks wrote:
Use that as the operator in a SEO to cut the holes out.
Or make the operator(s) beams and the holes are automatic.
Dwight
Newcomer
Complex profile as SEO cutter is better than making the wall as a complex profile AND allows arrangement using the elevation as a cue. This simplifies editing.

Placing windows, beams or whatever individually has the drawback of only being placed in plan view and then pulled into place. This seems like more work and more cumbersome editing.
Dwight Atkinson
Anonymous
Not applicable
Dwight wrote:
Complex profile as SEO cutter is better than making the wall as a complex profile AND allows arrangement using the elevation as a cue. This simplifies editing.

Placing windows, beams or whatever individually has the drawback of only being placed in plan view and then pulled into place. This seems like more work and more cumbersome editing.
I just meant that using a CP beam cuts the wall automatically eliminating the need for the SEO.
Dwight
Newcomer
No criticism intended.

The complex profile allows for 'ganging' operations of the kind we're discussing and it is important to emphasize the ease of editing combined with the elevation layout aspect for productivity.

NOW: If only we could Trace reference views in the Complex Profile window. THAT would increase productivity!
Dwight Atkinson
JaredBanks
Mentor
Dwight wrote:
NOW: If only we could Trace reference views in the Complex Profile window. THAT would increase productivity!
That would be awesome.

I like the idea of using the beam to cut the holes. Though it should be noted that you need to make sure the intersection groups and layers work correctly.
Jared Banks, AIA
Shoegnome Architects

Archicad Blog: www.shoegnome.com
Archicad Template: www.shoegnome.com/template/
Archicad Work Environment: www.shoegnome.com/work-environment/
Archicad Tutorial Videos: www.youtube.com/shoegnome
Anonymous
Not applicable
"Dwight" wrote:

Agreed. This would be a useful feature. I have traced on another view and copy/paste over what I needed but it would be more logical that the profile editor should be able to do trace as well.
Dwight
Newcomer
Give me a minute to post this to 'wishes."
Dwight Atkinson
Learn and get certified!