BIM Coordinator Program (INT) April 22, 2024
Find the next step in your career as a Graphisoft Certified BIM Coordinator!
Modeling
About Archicad's design tools, element connections, modeling concepts, etc.

How are you creating roof framing?

Anonymous
Not applicable
Our office is rapidly getting more and more into 3D modeling vs. line drawing. I'm wondering how everyone does their framing for roofs? I've been using the roof framing wizard and the roof maker under "Design Extras." It seems to work well but is a little clunky getting it to do exactly what I want. Is this what everyone uses?
7 REPLIES 7
Anonymous
Not applicable
Automatic functions are great for quick results but generally can't anticipate all the conditions and details you are likely to want. As I recall the roof framing tool does create parts that you can further adjust and modify.

If I'm mistaken about this or you can't get what you want this way it is always possible to stick build as necessary. One method is to use the beam tool for the rafters (and/or purlins). The old fashioned way was to use skinny roofs. The rafter tails can then be trimmed with SEOs (or beams with higher intersection priorities). Fancy cuts can be made with profiled beams (or walls).

For timber framing Ralph Wessel (of Objective fame) has Framewright which is as cool as you might expect considering the source.

I think Cadimage also has roof framing tools but I don't recall for sure having only used their wall framing myself.
Ralph Wessel
Mentor
Steven wrote:
Our office is rapidly getting more and more into 3D modeling vs. line drawing. I'm wondering how everyone does their framing for roofs? I've been using the roof framing wizard and the roof maker under "Design Extras." It seems to work well but is a little clunky getting it to do exactly what I want. Is this what everyone uses?
Take a look at OBJECTiVE. This tool puts a much greater emphasis on design flexibility rather than automation. Primary advantages for roof framing are the ability to place, rotate, and cut timber in section/elevation. An sample image is attached. Timbers can be collected together in assemblies, which support multiple working places (where the roof framing is much simpler to model in a different plane).

It also provides tools for more complex projects with tools for bending, twisting, and profiling. Refer to a recent request for help with a roof here.
Ralph Wessel BArch
Anonymous
Not applicable
Wow, thank you. I'll look into the suggestions.
Steven wrote:
It may depend on if you need things modeled for schedules or not.

ArchiCAD 25 7000 USA - Windows 10 Pro 64x - Dell 7720 64 GB 2400MHz ECC - Xeon E3 1535M v6 4.20GHz - (2) 1TB M.2 PCIe Class 50 SSD's - 17.3" UHD IPS (3840x2160) - Nvidia Quadro P5000 16GB GDDR5 - Maxwell Studio/Render 5.2.1.49- Multilight 2 - Adobe Acrobat Pro - ArchiCAD 6 -25

Anonymous
Not applicable
I do not need roof framing modeled for scheduling.
Steven wrote:
I do not need roof framing modeled for scheduling.
Then do you really need it to be modeled?

Even when you do model the roof framing the schedule is more usefull than the model.

ArchiCAD 25 7000 USA - Windows 10 Pro 64x - Dell 7720 64 GB 2400MHz ECC - Xeon E3 1535M v6 4.20GHz - (2) 1TB M.2 PCIe Class 50 SSD's - 17.3" UHD IPS (3840x2160) - Nvidia Quadro P5000 16GB GDDR5 - Maxwell Studio/Render 5.2.1.49- Multilight 2 - Adobe Acrobat Pro - ArchiCAD 6 -25

Anonymous
Not applicable
Yes, I'd still like to model the framing so it's correct in my sections, details, etc. In the past I created a roof slab that was the entire thickness of the roof sheathing, framing and finish but it's not very editable in terms of creating some of the intricate details you might encounter in complex roofs.
Learn and get certified!