BIM Coordinator Program (INT) April 22, 2024
Find the next step in your career as a Graphisoft Certified BIM Coordinator!
Libraries & objects
About Archicad and BIMcloud libraries, their management and migration, objects and other library parts, etc.

How can I explode objects into different parts?

Anonymous
Not applicable
Is there an option to detach the Window's Frame From the glass?
Or the door from it's frame?
Is there ani option to "Explode" an object?
4 REPLIES 4
TomWaltz
Participant
It would be really nice, but no. When you explode an object (door, window, etc), it just becomes lines, not the component 3D parts 😞
Tom Waltz
Dwight
Newcomer
Jet wrote:
Is there an option to detach the Window's Frame From the glass?
Or the door from it's frame?
Is there ani option to "Explode" an object?
Not directly. You can visit the element script and eliminate the parts you don't want, however.

For instance, with your window, once you have saved a new named version, with some minor GDL skill you can isolate and delete the glass....
Dwight Atkinson
Anonymous
Not applicable
ok thanks
Anonymous
Not applicable
TomWaltz wrote:
It would be really nice, but no. When you explode an object (door, window, etc), it just becomes lines, not the component 3D parts 😞
Is that so? Rather disappointing! In VectorWorks, the result depends on the current view: if 2D-plan, you get lines (or polylines). If any 3D-view, you get 3D-components. (Intuitive? Yes and no.)

I have e.g. this (DYI) VW-object that creates pre-stressed hollow-core concrete slab elements as 3D Booleans. If I explode one in a 3D-view, the slab becomes a Boolean. I may then continue to explode it to simpler 3D-components and, eventually, even to view-dependent 2D-lines, but one step at a time.

With many other objects, you get a strange and incomprehensible mishmash of extrusions, sweeps, meshes and 3D-polygons, but 3D nevertheless.

Well, whatever. Such operations are rare and exceptional indeed. As long as the relevant conversions are handled transparently when exporting to another format, I'm happy. Good to know, nevertheless.
Learn and get certified!