Libraries & objects
About Archicad and BIMcloud libraries, their management and migration, objects and other library parts, etc.

Importing BIM objects (.lcf / .gsm )

Anonymous
Not applicable
Hello,

I'm having some issues trying to place a BIM object in my project from a window company, Schueco. I'm new to Archicad, so I assume there's probably some simple setting I'm missing here.
I'm working in Archicad 24. The object is a sliding door.

This is what I tried:

First of all I downloaded two files from the website BIMobject.com. These are .lcf files - a macro library and a specific object library, related to the selected product. After some searching on the internet I found an older forum post that indicates I should use 'Extract a container'. I use this command and after clicking on the lcf file, two .gsm files appear in a new folder.

After this I added the folder with the GSM files as a library, clicked reload and apply. It looks like something has been imported.

Then I would like to actually place this imported object in my project, but I'm not sure how and where (and also still not sure if there actually is an object imported, as all the files I imported are very small)?

First I try this via 'Object' tool - element - load other object. Here I find that I cannot import .gsm files but only general GDL objects. So this does not seem to work. Then I try the window tool - element - load other object, this does not work as it does not recognize the .gsm file as a window I presume.

And finally I tried to place a window and then try to edit it with cmd + T . But then the library / gsm files that I thought I had added or embedded do not appear anywhere.

What I am doing wrong? Is there a manual for importing BIM objects, because there seem to be a lot of file types and steps to take? Thanks in advance for some advice!
3 REPLIES 3
Laszlo Nagy
Community Admin
Community Admin
Activate the Window Tool, and open its settings dialog.
Then, in the folder structure on the left, navigate to the folder where the Windows element should be. Can you find it there? Click to select it and its settings will appear on the right, click OK, and then you can place it.
Loving Archicad since 1995 - Find Archicad Tips at x.com/laszlonagy
AMD Ryzen9 5900X CPU, 64 GB RAM 3600 MHz, Nvidia GTX 1060 6GB, 500 GB NVMe SSD
2x28" (2560x1440), Windows 10 PRO ENG, Ac20-Ac27
Anonymous
Not applicable
Thanks for your reply. As I expected it turned out to be a rather stupid mistake I made; I was looking in the wrong tool. The sliding door I imported was of course to be found in the door tool, not the window tool. I tried placing the object and it worked fine. I'm sorry for the inconvenience!
Laszlo Nagy
Community Admin
Community Admin
Never mind, it happens to all of us.
Loving Archicad since 1995 - Find Archicad Tips at x.com/laszlonagy
AMD Ryzen9 5900X CPU, 64 GB RAM 3600 MHz, Nvidia GTX 1060 6GB, 500 GB NVMe SSD
2x28" (2560x1440), Windows 10 PRO ENG, Ac20-Ac27