Libraries & objects
About Archicad and BIMcloud libraries, their management and migration, objects and other library parts, etc.

Is an automatic scale bar possible on layouts?

Anonymous
Not applicable
Hello,

I have been searching past threads for any topics relating to a scale bar that updates according to the scale of the drawing that has been placed on the layout. I have had no luck in finding a working solution.

Does anybody know whether this is indeed possible using the AC_OriginalDrawingScale Variable?

I am able to create an object that displays the scale as a string. Is it possible to convert this into something that can be used in if statements to then create the appropriate scale bar?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Regards,

Jarrod Phillips
22 REPLIES 22
Marc H
Advisor
You can think of it as a disclaimer or as a caution for paper scaling.
“The best thing about the future is that it comes one day at a time.” - Abraham Lincoln

AC27 USA on 16” 2019 MBP (2.4GHz i9 8-Core, 32GB DDR4, AMD Radeon Pro 5500M 8G GDDR5, 500GB SSD, T3s, Trackpad use) running Sonoma OS + extended w/ (2) 32" ASUS ProArt PAU32C (4K) Monitors
Lingwisyer
Guru
When you think about it, scale bars themselves only really help when someone does not have a ruler and / or cannot do basic math, unless for some reason you have some weird scale...

AC22-23 AUS 7000Help Those Help You - Add a Signature
Self-taught, bend it till it breaksCreating a Thread
Win10 | R5 2600 | 16GB | GTX1660 
Anonymous
Not applicable
Hi

I'm using a 'bodge' which feels like its a piece of simple code or automation away from working.

I've got a 100mm scale bar on layouts, which means its length is whatever scale minus zero - ie 1:50 would mean its 5m long. Its divided up to passively work for a number of scales.

The (moderate) pain is that for the set of drawings I just run through a drawing index typing in a scale bar layout property autotexted onto the layout (by looking at s collected scales field).

I couldn't find a way for expressions to work for layout properties, or it would be automated (eg lose, '1:' lose a zero add 'm' add @ [scale]).

Also the expression would have to be able to collect and act on the different scales on a layout.

Is there any way to automate it ?

Cheers