Design forum
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is an automatic scale bar possible on layouts?

Jarrod Phillips
Newcomer
Hello,

I have been searching past threads for any topics relating to a scale bar that updates according to the scale of the drawing that has been placed on the layout. I have had no luck in finding a working solution.

Does anybody know whether this is indeed possible using the AC_OriginalDrawingScale Variable?

I am able to create an object that displays the scale as a string. Is it possible to convert this into something that can be used in if statements to then create the appropriate scale bar?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Regards,

Jarrod Phillips
Jarrod Phillips
Graduate of Architecture,
Stukel Architecture, Sydney
Australia

Versions 15 to 24
Lenovo ThinkStation P330 Tower - 9th Gen Intel Core i9-9900, 32GB ram, NVIDIA Quadro RTX 4000 (8GB), Windows 10
22 REPLIES 22

Piotr Dobrowolski
Enthusiast
Are You trying to make it as a drawing description marker or just an object to be placed on the viewpoint and then saved to view?

Piotr

Jarrod Phillips
Newcomer
Hello Piotr,

Thanks for the response. I am trying to create an object that is simply placed on a layout (or master layout if possible) as an object that picks up the placed drawing scale from the title block and displays the correct scale bar. So basically I would have a bunch of if statements saying if the scale is 1:50 then draw the 1:50 scale bar etc. My issue is in turning the string that I get from the AC_OriginalDrawingScale Variable into something the if statements can recognise.

I hope this makes sense.

Thanks in advance,

Jarrod
Jarrod Phillips
Graduate of Architecture,
Stukel Architecture, Sydney
Australia

Versions 15 to 24
Lenovo ThinkStation P330 Tower - 9th Gen Intel Core i9-9900, 32GB ram, NVIDIA Quadro RTX 4000 (8GB), Windows 10

Barry Kelly
Layouts and masters themselves have no scale - they are 1:1.
The drawings (views) you place on the layouts do have a scale and the drawing title can reference this.
However any object you place on the layout or master will have no reference to the drawings (views) you have placed, so therefore will have no idea what scale they are.

Only the 'Drawing Title' in the drawing settings can reference the scale of the placed drawing.

So you would need to create a drawing title object with a scale bar - if that is possible.
I am not sure as I never use drawing titles.

Or you need to create a standard object that you can place in the Archicad model for each view (plan, elevation, section, etc.).
This can reference the scale of that view and can adjust automatically as you adjust the scale.
So even multiple views saved with different scales should show the correct scale bar.

Barry.

One of the forum moderators.
Versions 6.5 to 25
Dell XPS- i7-6700 @ 3.4Ghz, 16GB ram, GeForce GTX 960 (2GB), Windows 10
Dell Precision 3510 - i7 6820HQ @ 2.70GHz, 16GB RAM, AMD FirePro W5130M, Windows 10

Johan Cosandey
Newcomer
I think that what Jarrod is looking for should be feasible.
We already have the ability to create an automatic text than can find the scale of every drawings placed on a layout and display them (see attached picture).

The question is what is the name of the variable used by the automatic text and can we use it in a GDL object?
If yes, it would definitely be really useful.

Johan
Architect and BIM manager @ Magizan SA (Switzerland)
Archicad - Revit - Solibri

Johan Cosandey
Newcomer
The answer was on the GDL Center : you cannot read or use any autotext variable in GDL, so you won't be able to use the <DRAWINGSCALE> variable in an IF statement...

So it looks like it won't be feasible without using the method proposed by Barry.
Architect and BIM manager @ Magizan SA (Switzerland)
Archicad - Revit - Solibri

Karl Ottenstein
In the USA / North American library, for years we had an NCS drawing title that included a scale. I just verified that the object from the AC 14 library does (mostly) work in 23 - image attached.

That NCS Drawing Title 14 responds to the width of the drawing as well as the scale. The settings for the Graphic Scale are under a parameter panel titled "Additional Data" as seen in the second screenshot. The NCS Drawing Title 23 does NOT have the scale bar as an option. I really can't see why this was eliminated.

I didn't take the time to see when, between version 14 and now, the Graphic Scale was eliminated. Just opened an old archive that happened to be from 14. The only issue with using this AC 14 object in 23 is that the scale text position parameters don't work properly, so it isn't possible to slightly drop the scale below the horizontal title line as it was previously. Probably an easy fix.

Should I check with Graphisoft to see if I'm allowed to post this object here? (And, maybe I'll search all old libraries to find the most recent version that includes the scale.)
One of the forum moderators   •   AC 25 USA and earlier   •   MacOS 11.6, iMac Pro

Karl Ottenstein
So, this is weird... likely a bug? The Graphic Scale is part of the (USA) NCS Drawing Title 23 as seen in the attached image.. which was obtained by using a pre-created Favorite for the Drawing Tool delivered with the default USA template.

What seems like a bug, is that there are no visible parameters to make the scale appear or not appear, or to alter it's appearance. I looked at the code and indeed the Additional Data (and other parameter blocks) have been disabled for some reason, although all code to use them is there. Will report.

Anyway... for the original poster - yes, a title object can display a dynamic scale bar... and I'll also ask if I can share this object here to make it available to non-USA customers.
One of the forum moderators   •   AC 25 USA and earlier   •   MacOS 11.6, iMac Pro

Lingwisyer
Virtuoso
If you go for a scale bar that scales with a view, you just convert glob_scale into the relevant factors.

In regards to using a drawing title, you should probably use ac_drawingScale over ac_originalDrawingScale as this will prevent miss labelling if someone decides to magnify a view for whatever reason.

Ling.

Edit: updated object
AC18-23 AUS 7000
Self-taught, bend it till it breaks.
Win10 | E5620 x 2 | 24GB | K2200

David Maudlin
Advisor
Karl wrote:
What seems like a bug, is that there are no visible parameters to make the scale appear or not appear, or to alter it's appearance.
What I see for NCS Drawing Title 23: Drawing Settings > Drawing Title > Title Content - Back Referencing and Additional Data > Show Additional Data > select Graphic Scale, which enables pen and font controls.

David
David Maudlin / Architect
www.davidmaudlin.com
Digital Architecture
AC24 USA • iMac 27" 4.0GHz Quad-core i7 | 24 gb ram • MacBook Pro 2.8GHz | 16 gb ram • OSX10.14.6

Karl Ottenstein
David wrote:
What I see for NCS Drawing Title 23: Drawing Settings > Drawing Title > Title Content - Back Referencing and Additional Data > Show Additional Data > select Graphic Scale, which enables pen and font controls.

Thanks for testing, David. I (finally) see what you're saying and how they buried this previously easy-to-see option. Attached screenshot for others. Sadly, they deleted the code that allowed you to set an offset for the scale bar - and the default setting has the numbers above the bar overlapping the title bar line. Not quite sure what the improvement over the old object is the necessitated breaking part of the functionality.

So, I guess we're left with the question (pending at tech support) as to whether we can share this object with our Australian colleague and others looking for a scale bar.

Thanks again, David.

Karl

David Maudlin
Advisor
Karl wrote:
So, I guess we're left with the question (pending at tech support) as to whether we can share this object with our Australian colleague and others looking for a scale bar.
I think Barry has posted a solution where a user downloads a different country's AC version to get that library.

David
David Maudlin / Architect
www.davidmaudlin.com
Digital Architecture
AC24 USA • iMac 27" 4.0GHz Quad-core i7 | 24 gb ram • MacBook Pro 2.8GHz | 16 gb ram • OSX10.14.6

Karl Ottenstein
Well, I think downloading an entire installation just to extract one object from a library is a little overkill. Certainly an option until permission is granted to share (which seems silly to ask for given that you can download the entire version for another country).

Anyway... back to this NCS title object. Basically, they broke it in 23. I just tested the NCS Drawing Title 22 object from the AC 22 USA library, and it works fine and has all of the parameters. Someone recoded the object for 23 giving it pretty graphical parameter panels and in the process left off some of the parameters.

So, I recommend using the AC 22 version at least for now ... and that anyone looking at this functionality download the AC 22 USA library rather than the 23 one.

Lingwisyer
Virtuoso
Isn't the sharing restriction for GS objects only for modifications? So GS objects should be shareable as is?
AC18-23 AUS 7000
Self-taught, bend it till it breaks.
Win10 | E5620 x 2 | 24GB | K2200

Laszlo Nagy
Community Admin
Community Admin
Lingwisyer wrote:
Isn't the sharing restriction for GS objects only for modifications? So GS objects should be shareable as is?

This post collects all the answers and clarifications I received from GRAPHISOFT when this topic came up a few years ago:

https://archicad-talk.graphisoft.com/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=47320&start=20#p286146
....................................................................................................
Laszlo Nagy, Lead Moderator, Community Admin
Get Archicad Tips at https://twitter.com/laszlonagy
AMD Ryzen 1700X CPU, 48 GB RAM, NVidia GTX 1060 6GB, 500 GB NVMe SSD
2x28" (2560x1440), WIN10 PRO ENG, AC20-AC25
Loving Archicad since 1995

Karl Ottenstein
Thanks for that reminder, Laszlo. Hard for us old timers to remember changes that feel so new (only 6 years ago! LOL). Attached was the object "NCS Drawing Title 22" which has the option of displaying an automatic scale bar, so our friends down under can see how it was done. (I deleted it as it was missing a required macro...see next post with the LCF file that has the title object AND the macro.) This object was developed for Graphisoft North America and has the following Creative Commons license linked from the Info tab:

https://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-nd/3.0/

(My concern about sharing - before I read your posts and saw the license info inside the object - was that development of this object was paid for GS North America rather than GS HQ. Given the license, that doesn't seem to matter.)

Karl Ottenstein
Apologies: the GSM alone won't work without the associated macro to display the scale bar. At GSNA tech's suggestion, I've uploaded this to BIMComponents... awaiting acceptance at the moment. But, here is an LCF that includes the title object AND the scale bar macro. It will display the scale for Metric as well as Imperial.

Karl

breathee
Newcomer
Lingwisyer wrote:
If you go for a scale bar that scales with a view, you just convert glob_scale into the relevant factors.

In regards to using a drawing title, you should probably use ac_drawingScale over ac_originalDrawingScale as this will prevent miss labelling if someone decides to magnify a view for whatever reason.

Ling.
This works, but the fill type is not showing a solid black. How do I change this or what is the files password?

Marc H
Beginner
For my part, I use drawing titles with the stated scale. It’s mostly for show as most everyone now uses digital copy (e.g., scaled PDFs, BIMx, IFC & RVT files, etc), so the days of putting bamboo (oh, now plastic) to paper are, alas, a diminishing practice. (Remember making sure to flip to the correct side/edge?)

As a nod to hard copy scale integrity, however, with the drawing title scale, I’ve adopted Eric Bobrow’s AMT use of a simple 1” bar and a statement indicating a printed copy has been enlarged or reduced if it does not equal this measure. This is placed within my master layouts.

Even with that, the Contractors are going digital in the field and there are apps to recognize the scale of hard copy, so even this seems the extra mile.
“The best thing about the future is that it comes one day at a time.” - Abraham Lincoln

AC24USA on 16” MBP (2.4GHz i9 8-Core, 32GB DDR4, AMD Radeon Pro 5500M 8G GDDR5, 500GB SSD, T3s, Trackpad use) + 2 Asus ProArt PAU32C (4K)

breathee
Newcomer
@Marc H, good point! Most councils will know how to use Adobe measure tool or have a ruler with the common scales on it.

What do you mean 'Eric Bobrow’s AMT use of a simple 1”' is this just disclaimer text you add to your title block?

Still looking?

Browse more topics

Back to forum

See latest solutions

Accepted solutions

Start a new discussion!