Modeling
About Archicad's design tools, element connections, modeling concepts, etc.

Launch another Instance for recent file

Anonymous
Not applicable
Is it possible to "Launch another instance of Archicad" when opening a file from the File> Recent Documents list?
The only ways I have found are going File > Open (click "launch another...") then navigating to the file you want, OR opening a dummy file (in a new instance) then using the Recent Documents list from there?

It would save a few clicks and a bit of time if it were possible.

If there's a way of doing it, cool, if not I feel a poll coming on.
9 REPLIES 9
__archiben
Booster
s2art wrote:
Is it possible to "Launch another instance of Archicad" when opening a file from the File> Recent Documents list?
no. i seem to recall asking during beta but it was not to be.
If there's a way of doing it, cool, if not I feel a poll coming on.
go for it . . .

~/ben
b e n f r o s t
b f [a t ] p l a n b a r c h i t e c t u r e [d o t] n z
archicad | sketchup! | coffeecup
Anonymous
Not applicable
Chazz
Enthusiast
Save the poll, do yourself a favor and get a copy of DefaultFolder.

Now every application has an "open recent" as well as a "save to recent", "save to open finder window", etc etc. It makes file work much more gestural. This is one of the most useful utilities ever written and is another reason to love OSX.
Nattering nabob of negativism
2023 MBP M2 Max 32GM. MaxOS-Current
Thomas Holm
Booster
Chazz wrote:
...another reason to love OSX.
Not to diminish the value of OSX, but this one was there in OS9--8---7 ? too.
AC4.1-AC26SWE; MacOS13.5.1; MP5,1+MBP16,1
Chazz
Enthusiast
Thomas wrote:
but this one was there in OS9--8---7 ? too.
True. DefaultFolder was (and still is) available for OS9, etc. However, the quartz effects in DefaultFolder X are, as we say here, bitchen'
Nattering nabob of negativism
2023 MBP M2 Max 32GM. MaxOS-Current
Chazz wrote:
Save the poll, do yourself a favor and get a copy of DefaultFolder.

Now every application has an "open recent" as well as a "save to recent", "save to open finder window", etc etc. It makes file work much more gestural. This is one of the most useful utilities ever written and is another reason to love OSX.
Default folder = nice. But...

It's still not as nice as being able to hold down the Command-key (for instance) and having that keystroke open a new instance when selecting from the recent files menu. Much faster and less steps.

Anyone remember "Now Utilities" from back in the day? Those were some nice system enhancers. Then one day, they just went away.

Another one of my favorite Mac utilities that I can't find an equivalent of now was "CopyWrite." It allowed you to copy contents of a folder to another location. Instead of only giving you the "Replace" option if the item existed there also, you could choose to "Sync" or "Quick Replace" which only copied the files that weren't present in the destination.

Maybe this deserves a separate thread, but if anyone knows of a similar utility, please let me know...
Rex Maximilian, Honolulu, USA - www.rexmaximilian.com
ArchiCAD 27 (user since 3.4, 1991)
16" MacBook Pro; M1 Max (2021), 32GB RAM, 1 TB SSD, 32-Core GPU
Apple Vision Pro w/ BIMx
Creator of the Maximilian ArchiCAD Template System
David Maudlin
Virtuoso
Rex wrote:
Another one of my favorite Mac utilities that I can't find an equivalent of now was "CopyWrite." It allowed you to copy contents of a folder to another location. Instead of only giving you the "Replace" option if the item existed there also, you could choose to "Sync" or "Quick Replace" which only copied the files that weren't present in the destination.

Maybe this deserves a separate thread, but if anyone knows of a similar utility, please let me know...
Rex:

I have been using File Synchronization to synchronize files between my laptop and desktop machines. You designate matching pairs of folders that the software analyzes and updates as you describe. It was inexpensive ($9 about 5 years ago), I found on the Apple web site. It is very similar to the File Synchronization control panel found in OS 9 and earlier.

HTH

David
David Maudlin / Architect
www.davidmaudlin.com
Digital Architecture
AC27 USA • iMac 27" 4.0GHz Quad-core i7 OSX11 | 24 gb ram • MacBook Pro M3 Pro | 36 gb ram OSX14
__archiben
Booster
Rex wrote:
It's still not as nice as being able to hold down the Command-key (for instance) and having that keystroke open a new instance when selecting from the recent files menu. Much faster and less steps.
ALT - just like New/New & Reset and Rebuild/Rebuild & Regenerate . . .

i asked for this way back in the AC10 alpha - maybe earlier - but no . . .

~/ben
b e n f r o s t
b f [a t ] p l a n b a r c h i t e c t u r e [d o t] n z
archicad | sketchup! | coffeecup
Sometimes you don't want to sync though, and just want to replace... but quickly.

Thanks for the tip.
Rex Maximilian, Honolulu, USA - www.rexmaximilian.com
ArchiCAD 27 (user since 3.4, 1991)
16" MacBook Pro; M1 Max (2021), 32GB RAM, 1 TB SSD, 32-Core GPU
Apple Vision Pro w/ BIMx
Creator of the Maximilian ArchiCAD Template System