Modeling
About Archicad's design tools, element connections, modeling concepts, etc.

Magic Wand start point

DGSketcher
Legend
Can someone explain if there is a convention for the start point that the Magic Wand uses when measuring along open lines & arcs?

I want to trace some arcs creating linear segments to a set distance from one end but MW always seems to pick the opposite end from the one I want to use as the start wherever I click on it!
Apple iMac Intel i9 / macOS Sonoma / AC27UKI (most recent builds.. if they work)
5 REPLIES 5
Laszlo Nagy
Community Admin
Community Admin
I checked this and it seems to me that it always starts from the starting point of the element no matter where you click.
If you draw two Arcs, one constructed clockwise, the other constructed counter-clockwise you will see that the Magic Wand gives different result for them when creating linear segments based on them since the linear segments always start from the starting point of the Arc.

This means that we should have two things:
1. We should be able to see on every element the direction of their segments (clockwise or counter-clockwise) just like in case of Reference Lines of Walls and Beams.
2. We should have commands to invert this direction in case it is needed (just like in case of Wall Reference Lines).
Loving Archicad since 1995 - Find Archicad Tips at x.com/laszlonagy
AMD Ryzen9 5900X CPU, 64 GB RAM 3600 MHz, Nvidia GTX 1060 6GB, 500 GB NVMe SSD
2x28" (2560x1440), Windows 10 PRO ENG, Ac20-Ac27
alemanda
Advocate
laszlonagy wrote:

This means that we should have two things:
1. We should be able to see on every element the direction of their segments (clockwise or counter-clockwise) just like in case of Reference Lines of Walls and Beams.
2. We should have commands to invert this direction in case it is needed (just like in case of Wall Reference Lines).
+1
yessss
AC 19 and AC21 latest hotfix
Win 10 Pro 64bit
Double XEON 14 CORES (tot 28 physical cores)
32GB RAM - SSD 256GB - Nvidia Quadro K620
Display DELL 25'' 2560x1440
www.almadw.it
DGSketcher
Legend
Thanks for your input Laszlo and the wish-list. Can you nudge GS on them?

I have played a little more and the process can be further complicated when tracing connected lines & arcs where the MW seems to pick up on the clicked segment for direction. This is why I was having trouble and makes your suggestions even more important.
Apple iMac Intel i9 / macOS Sonoma / AC27UKI (most recent builds.. if they work)
Laszlo Nagy
Community Admin
Community Admin
Actually, I have just created a wish for this so people can vote:

http://archicad-talk.graphisoft.com/viewtopic.php?t=52437
Loving Archicad since 1995 - Find Archicad Tips at x.com/laszlonagy
AMD Ryzen9 5900X CPU, 64 GB RAM 3600 MHz, Nvidia GTX 1060 6GB, 500 GB NVMe SSD
2x28" (2560x1440), Windows 10 PRO ENG, Ac20-Ac27
DGSketcher
Legend
Thanks Laszlo, vote cast