Libraries & objects
About Archicad and BIMcloud libraries, their management and migration, objects and other library parts, etc.

Missing lines

Anonymous
Not applicable
Apologies if this has been covered - i think i remember reading something about it but can't find the thread.

I'm having some problems with AC9 windows displaying correctly in AC10. All the lines dividing the sash from the frame, in elevation, are missing. Any body know why? How can I fix this? Should I load the AC10 library and replace all my windows?

(P.S - I've tried it with different styles of window, and the same thing happens.)

window.jpg
19 REPLIES 19
Anonymous
Not applicable
This is the result of an (apparently) unforeseen problem created by an improvement in AC10. It seems that now all coplanar faces of the same material will clean up any shared edges in 3D views.

While this is great news for for the basic building elements (particularly roofs) it is a significant problem for library parts which were written with the assumption that this would not happen. Thus two doors or window sash (or other things) which meet with no gap between them are getting the lines removed.

This is a serious problem which needs immediate attention since the workarounds are not great. The most immediate fix (on the end user side) is to draw the lines in 2D. On double doors some have had success by opening them slightly in 3D, but this only works on the outswing side.

The real fix is up to GS. Revising all the affected library parts is not realistic. There are too many of them, many of which are very complex, and the fix requires either an arbitrary patch (adding lines in 3D or such) or getting extremely fussy in modeling the slight gaps between doors, and sash and jambs etc.

The simplest fix (I assume) would be to exempt library parts from this clean up process. GDL has always included the ability to show or hide edges with fine control within the script, so the automatic clean up is of no added value.

I admit that I have been remiss and have not contacted anyone at Graphisoft about this yet myself, but I assume that they are aware of it. Does anyone know if this problem is being addressed?
Anonymous
Not applicable
Thanks for the explanation Matthew - as it sounds like it's material related, I've changed my sash matrial to be different from my frame material, and it seems to have fixed it.

For now.
Aussie John
Newcomer
Surfaces with different materials will always show a line. This is true for drawn elements.
Cheers John
John Hyland : ARINA : www.arina.biz
User ver 4 to 12 - Jumped to v22 - so many options and settings!!!
OSX 10.15.6 [Catalina] : Archicad 22 : 15" MacBook Pro 2019
[/size]
Anonymous
Not applicable
Tom wrote:
Thanks for the explanation Matthew - as it sounds like it's material related, I've changed my sash matrial to be different from my frame material, and it seems to have fixed it.

For now.
Yes, whenever you can change the materials that's another workaround. Unfortunately it doesn't work for the double doors
Rod Jurich
Contributor
Matthew wrote:
Tom wrote:

For now.
Yes, whenever you can change the materials that's another workaround. Unfortunately it doesn't work for the double doors
Haven't used GS default doors for some time now. Macro that calls our doors had simple script added to show line in 3D which moved with leaf when opened. Scripting to show a small gap made elevations look odd with 2 lines drawn closely together. Made it look as if a thicker pen was selected.
A result IMO, where computer programers and not practioners make decisions.
Rod Jurich
AC4.55 - AC14 INT (4204) |  | OBJECTiVE |
Aussie John
Newcomer
I dont know why but my doors ( which I have scripted) seem to be working ok - even double doors with same material
Cheers John
John Hyland : ARINA : www.arina.biz
User ver 4 to 12 - Jumped to v22 - so many options and settings!!!
OSX 10.15.6 [Catalina] : Archicad 22 : 15" MacBook Pro 2019
[/size]
Anonymous
Not applicable
Pairs of doors I have scripted also show the line.
Also, I have noticed the AC 10 pair of windows (forget what it's called)
though the two sash lay in a plane do show the joint line.
Maybe the problem is not with co-planer surfaces but
something in the GDL script of this door object.
Peter Devlin
Anonymous
Not applicable
Update.

Just discovered from my reseller, that the offical GS fix for this is to open the library part and do this:

- Locate the script for the bit that's not working correctly (in my case, the frame and sash of the window)

- Duplicate it

- Add MODEL WIRE at the start of the original bit of script

- Add MODEL SURFACE at the start of the duplicated bit

- Save (As new part!)

That seems to work. Not really a smooth upgrade solution though.
Anonymous
Not applicable
Hello Tom,
Thank you for the update.
This is the weirdest "fix" I have ever heard of.
Did your reseller or GS give any explanation of
what error in the script of this object caused
the problem ?
Thank you,
Peter Devlin