Libraries & objects
About Archicad and BIMcloud libraries, their management and migration, objects and other library parts, etc.

Not able to apply DEMO Status to Doors

Eric Milberger
Advocate

I can apply demo status to a wall and it removes the doors also

I should be able to apply demo status to a door and it just leave the opening in the wall.

I cannot do either.

I select the door and all three status options turn gray.

Eric Milberger, Architect | Master Planner
9 REPLIES 9
DGSketcher
Legend

If you have assigned Demo to a wall then all the openings in that wall will by default adopt the same status. Which is probably why the door is greyed out. I don’t have AC with me just now, but if I remember correctly, assigning Demo to a door in an Existing wall will remove it and heal the wall in the Proposed layout, which kind of makes sense as this then allows for the creation of a modified opening.

Apple iMac Intel i9 / macOS Sonoma / AC27UKI (most recent builds.. if they work)
Eric Milberger
Advocate

But that is correct for modeling but not for construction documents.

If I want to crate a demo plan and the only thing I am doing is removing the wall.

I would want that door do disappear as a demo object and I would want to infill a section of new wall into the old wall.  And if they are the same they still need to be identifiable as different.

How do you demolish a wall and leave the door frames there?

What is holding them up?

I understand you want to re-use the frames.

But as far as Archicad is concerned if you demo the wall then there is nothing left.

The doors belong to the wall - no wall - no doors.

Unfortunately there isn't a reuse/recycle status.

The only way around it I can think of is to split the wall each side of the door.

Leave the bit of wall with the door as existing and demo the bits to the sides.

Then add new walls in where the demo walls are.

And if you want to demo just the door, then as far as Archicad is concerned the wall must be filled in.

No door - the wall is solid.

Again cut the wall either side of the frame and demo the wall with the door.

Or just demo the door and add a new opening.

The builder has to repair the opening so in essence they are adding a new opening.

Barry.

One of the forum moderators.
Versions 6.5 to 27
Dell XPS- i7-6700 @ 3.4Ghz, 16GB ram, GeForce GTX 960 (2GB), Windows 10
Lenovo Thinkpad - i7-1270P 2.20 GHz, 32GB RAM, Nvidia T550, Windows 11

@Eric Milberger I think reading between the lines you are wanting a Demo option for doors / openings that simply removes the object but leaves the structural opening?

That would short circuit the workflow @Barry Kelly has described, but from a software development perspective it brings a number of complexities to then managing that opening if you are doing anything other than building it in e.g. an increased opening size. In that scenario how do you manage the new enlarged opening and the opening you have retained if they occupy the same space or they overlap? I do think the current arrangement is the most flexible, even if it does require a bit more effort to model the required changes for documenting.

Tip: You can drag a copy of a door marked for demolition to one side, change it to an empty opening, mark it as proposed and drag it back to the original position. That may help with your workflow?

Apple iMac Intel i9 / macOS Sonoma / AC27UKI (most recent builds.. if they work)
David Shorter
Advisor

Please see attached it illustrates the options available except in 5 I would show the existing wall the same as 4 New Work.

Archicad 4.1 to 27 Apple Silicon
you can't build a line
Mac Studio
iPad Pro
iPhone

This process creates a fine new plan and you can show existing.

But if you need a plan that shows a demo plan - as one where demoed items are removed and only remaining shows.

AND

Every Demo plan I have seen over 47 years and licensed in 29 states and worked overseas.  I have seen something consistently different.

1.  Existing

2.  Demo plan that shows to remain and all demo as dashed.

3.  Then If the wall is to remain and we infill the door with new studs

I would still see the existing opening without any door and an infill of studs I would .

add.  But note the wall and the infull is the SAME wall type and won’t show both unless the Status of New changes the look.

I can fake this to make all look good but I dont what two have two versions of the same wall materials since the demo tool is available.

David and other moderators,

Did this post get moved deliberately to another part of the forum?

It used to be a reply to this post.

https://community.graphisoft.com/t5/Design-forum/Not-able-to-apply-DEMO-Status-to-Doors/m-p/331421

If nobody owns up to moving it, I will merge it back to the other post.

Barry.

One of the forum moderators.
Versions 6.5 to 27
Dell XPS- i7-6700 @ 3.4Ghz, 16GB ram, GeForce GTX 960 (2GB), Windows 10
Lenovo Thinkpad - i7-1270P 2.20 GHz, 32GB RAM, Nvidia T550, Windows 11

I didn’t move it😅

Archicad 4.1 to 27 Apple Silicon
you can't build a line
Mac Studio
iPad Pro
iPhone

And Just to add in I would like 3o other versions of an element or more