Documentation
About Archicad's documenting tools, views, model filtering, layouts, publishing, etc.

'One stroke force' bug?

toman311
Enthusiast
I've had this problem on my computer and also on a fellow employees computer. The other person in our office apparently isn't having this problem.
I'll try and describe the problem the best I can.

When I want to type in a number, I am only allowed one stroke before ArchiCAD forces the number. So, for example, I could type in 3, but then ArchiCAD forces it to a foot (because ArchiCAD basic dimension is in feet and not in inches) when I want it to be an inch. Another example is when I want to type in a fraction. All I can do is type in one number at a time, so that means I cannot type in fractions before ArchiCAD forces an answer.
So far, I haven't figured out a way to type in a fraction. Still, I have found a way to change the foot mark to an inch mark. What I do is I highlight the foot mark and then type in the inch mark. So, I can make changes by highlighting what I want to change, but I am still limited to one stroke.

This seems to happen only when using the settings bar toward the top of the screen (or at least that's where mine is). When I'm, let's say, drawing a line, there is no problem when typing in the number because those numbers are not entered into the option bar toward the top of the screen, but are entered into the "pet pallet-like" distance area. When using that thingy, I haven't noticed a problem, but there is a problem when adjusting numbers in that option bar towards the top. That option bar gets populated by different things at different times depending on what, if anything, is selected.

This problem just started today and everyone in the office has had ArchiCAD 21 for at least a week, maybe two (I can't remember off the top of my head). We haven't upgraded our Mac OS because of the known issues at the moment.

I hope someone has an answer for this because drawing in 3D is a problem. If no answer to fixing this problem, any advice on how to work around the problem? I guess this is a bug, but I don't know why it would start today? Maybe we didn't notice it until today. I'm not sure. I really don't think I had any problems until today though. This is strange...
>ArchiCAD 23, 7000 USA FULL

>iMac, 27-inch, 2020, Processor: 3.8 GHz 8-Core Intel Core i7, Memory: 64 GB 2667 MHz DDR4, Graphics: AMD Radeon Pro 5500 XT 8 GB
2 REPLIES 2
David Maudlin
Virtuoso
toman311:

Look at Work Environment > User Preference Schemes > Dialog Boxes and Palettes > Dialog Box Auto-Update Delay, and set it to a higher number. This setting does not affect the Tracker input (which does not auto-update).

David
David Maudlin / Architect
www.davidmaudlin.com
Digital Architecture
AC27 USA • iMac 27" 4.0GHz Quad-core i7 OSX11 | 24 gb ram • MacBook Pro M3 Pro | 36 gb ram OSX14
toman311
Enthusiast
Thanks for the reply.

One of the employees discovered that the problem somehow came from the user profile changing. He set it back to a Standard profile and the problem went away.
>ArchiCAD 23, 7000 USA FULL

>iMac, 27-inch, 2020, Processor: 3.8 GHz 8-Core Intel Core i7, Memory: 64 GB 2667 MHz DDR4, Graphics: AMD Radeon Pro 5500 XT 8 GB