Modeling
About Archicad's design tools, element connections, modeling concepts, etc.

Pay before you know?????? GRRR

So i tried to beta test this year,  i wasnt the right fit lol.
but im pretty upset that i have to pay to upgrade with out knowing whats upgraded.

I feel archicad should be able to tell us what they have to offer each year before asking me for money.
I want and plan to upgrade but what if it isnt the right fit? and what if i only use one license? 

kinda BS if you ask me.

at least find a way to let the current users know what they are getting into. Im a one man show with extra licenses. if none of the upgrades help me i dont want to upgrade right? but i dont get to know whats in the update until after i pay.. other than i love the program and believe it to be worth the cost this bothers me.
this is the typical scam so why is archicad treating us this way....
37 REPLIES 37
Mjules
Mentor
@ Jl_lt and Karl,

I hope so! I am working hard on that.
Martin Luther Jules
AC 10-27 (Full)
Asus | 64 GB RAM | Windows 11
Erwin Edel
Rockstar
I have yet to touch AC24, however our resellers subscription scheme comes with a lot of content they add for the Dutch market and a fairly robust template that we've based our own off many years ago. Upgrading our template is fairly do-able from version to version. This alone makes it worth the price.

I'm hoping for some 'killer' addition to AC25 or some quality of life improvements here and there.

AC23 does well, though some bugs have still not been fixed... (explode imported drawing DWG that ends up with new renovation status... I'm looking at you!)

It does seem 'rude' to be send the bill for the new year which incl. the renewal without knowing up front what you are paying for. AC24 already felt like paying for half a product...
Erwin Edel, Project Lead, Leloup Architecten
www.leloup.nl

ArchiCAD 9-26NED FULL
Windows 10 Pro
Adobe Design Premium CS5
Emre Senoglu
Expert
i agree with the whole sentiment. the current pricing method feels too big of an upfront investment - speaking as a small office, i dont feel comfortable 'betting' on the features that are going to be announced. i've previously created a poll about wishing for a more transparent and visible development roadmap. i think more support on the issue might finally make AC pay more attention to this need. You can vote on the poll here
AC26 ARM // MBP M2 Max // Twinmotion | Corona | Rhino

www.senoglu.dk

Anonymous
Not applicable
My 2 Cents.
I understand that having to pay in advance makes users feel like the horse with the hanging carrot.
Unfortunately, for a company with the size of Graphisoft playing in the global market, the continuous amount of financial resource is essential. Specially if you are trying to gain momentum over a giant like Autodesk. I am afraid that this policy will remain for a while until GS gains enough user base to support its ambitious plan. It is a price users will have to pay to have a software that actually helps in their day-to-day workflows. That is why I am in favor for a Software as a Service (SaaS) strategy for Archicad. It would considerably reduce software deployment and support costs. And if we could pay for Archicad the same we pay for Netflix (regarding the proportions ) it would be awesome, isn't it?
runxel
Legend
Braza wrote:
And if we could pay for Archicad the same we pay for Netflix (regarding the proportions ) it would be awesome, isn't it?
You already can and no, that's not really awesome, and I'm thankful that GS didn't go this route.
See, what happens, if you suddenly can't pay your monthly fee? Bam, you can't edit your projects any longer.
Lucas Becker | AC 27 on Mac | Author of Runxel's Archicad Wiki | Editor at SelfGDL | Developer of the GDL plugin for Sublime Text |
«Furthermore, I consider that Carth... yearly releases must be destroyed»
Anonymous
Not applicable
Yes. There must be an option for at least visualize and share existing projects.
But if the cost was the same as Netflix (+-10 Euro monthly I presume. As I don't use it ) it would be really hard for an active Architect not to use the serviçe.
I also know that there are a lot of security/privacy concerns regarding any SaaS solution. In this case, I usually use the email analogy: How many of us use Gmail?... And how many of us can't sleep well just imagining that their emails may be at risk on a Google server?
jl_lt
Ace
im also against the software as a service concept. mainly on principle. what is this obsession of always being up to date anyway? the constant mingling and updating of the software WITHOUT your permission is annoying in the very best of scenarios.

more distressing though are the perils of complacency, which lurk in the dark when companies receive constant influxes of cash without having done enough to deserve it
Barry Kelly
jl_lt wrote:
im also against the software as a service concept. mainly on principle. what is this obsession of always being up to date anyway? the constant mingling and updating of the software WITHOUT your permission is annoying in the very best of scenarios.

Just to clarify, Archicad does not update anything without your permission.
Yes they provide the updates, but it is up to you as the user if you install them or not.

Barry.
One of the forum moderators.
Versions 6.5 to 27
Dell XPS- i7-6700 @ 3.4Ghz, 16GB ram, GeForce GTX 960 (2GB), Windows 10
Lenovo Thinkpad - i7-1270P 2.20 GHz, 32GB RAM, Nvidia T550, Windows 11
jl_lt
Ace
yes. i was talking about software that does that, like Office.
Lingwisyer
Guru
Braza wrote:
And if we could pay for Archicad the same we pay for Netflix (regarding the proportions )

Proportions? Of what? AC rental is available as far as I know and is like 20x the price of Netflix.

AC22-23 AUS 7000Help Those Help You - Add a Signature
Self-taught, bend it till it breaksCreating a Thread
Win10 | R5 2600 | 16GB | GTX1660